Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Eric Wood
  • New to Real Estate
  • South Bend, IN
Votes |
Represent myself in my first ever transaction. Is this realistic?

Eric Wood
  • New to Real Estate
  • South Bend, IN
Posted Nov 4 2022, 11:55

Hi everyone! I have been interested in real estate investing for a long time and finally reached a point personally and financially where I feel like I'm ready to start. I recently passed my state (IN) and national REA licensing exams, but haven't yet hung my license. 

In the next ~3 months, my goal is to acquire my first rental property. Once my partner and I both graduate from school next May, I'll also be purchasing a property to house hack. I'm planning on mainly using my license to represent myself in transactions to save myself money via commission, while helping out some friends and family with a few transactions as well. I know that there brokerages out there who work with investor agents and have no problem with this type of arrangement, but I still feel a bit nervous. 

I've learned a lot during the pre-licensing course that I took, but I know that there is a lot of learning on the job that takes place as an agent. Is it realistic that I can find a brokerage to hang my license with that will be hands-off enough to let me "do my own thing", but will still provide training and enough support to make me comfortable representing myself for my first few transactions? My other plan of action would be to leave my license unassigned and work with a more experienced realtor for my first few deals until I feel more confident. Am I overthinking this? Is it worth giving up 3% on my first few deals to learn from someone else? Any advice is appreciated! 

Loading replies...