I am a first time real estate investor trying to build my real estate portfolio. I hav some excess cash that I would like to put in a rental property. My goal is to get a little bit of cash flow and appreciation. I understand that single family units take a while before they cash flow, and I'm perfectly fine with that if the investment is right. I also want to invest in something that will not give me too many headaches. For a first time real estate investor, which option would you prefer? Single Family Units or Multi-Family?
Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 100 votes
2y
I agree with @Taz Zettergren, but for some reason I keep stumbling on the duplexes I'm up to 6 now. I do like the suburbs though - better rent growth, appreciation potential, and quality of tenant.
Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
2y
Regardless of of what type of rental I'm looking for I always want to get, or structure, a deal in a way that creates as much cash flow as possible. Lately with interest rates being higher and inventory being lower I've found it harder to find deals with significant cash flow in an area I want to invest in.
Personally, we're okay with properties that cashflow decently, but have long term appreciation upside too. We put down large down payments and keep a beefy emergency fund.
If you're prioritizing the headache factor, having one tenant is always going to be easier than manage than two, but I think what's more important is that you're vetting your tenants thoroughly no matter what type of property you get.
Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 850 posts · 825 votes
2y
@Victor Nguyen Moving forward when you post on BP please let us know what area you are interested in investing. That way you get specific advise from fellow investors in your area. For example, here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area Single Family Residents (SFR) are easier to come by than multifamily properties. Thus, based on my experience you tend to overpay for multifamily properties versus SFR's. But I ensure to run the sold and rent comps for my fellow investor clients so that they can determine cash flow. I personally own both here in the DFW area. So depending on how good the numbers are and if seller accepts my clients aggressive offers play heavily into the strategy. I can only suggest you can't win unless you play. Which means putting forth as many offers as you can to get the right deal accepted. Hope this helps.
Which asset to buy will depend on the rents you can get in the area. Here in the Reno, NV market multifamily prices are very high so it would be better to buy single family. Based on the data in our area single family and new construction are some of the best investments. As more multifamily hits the market the prices might come down. There are advantages to multifamily because you can spread out your risk if a tenant moves out. A single family will be easier to sell and exit because of a larger buyer pool.
Lender · Member since 2022 · 441 posts · 134 votes
2y
I would stick with 1-4 units starting out. Have to think when you have say a duplex, 2 units. If you have 1 vacant unit, you still have incoming rent from the other. If a single family is vacant there is 0 income. there’s still some turnkey properties that can cash flow from day 1, very hard to find but possible. Seems you’re looking for appreciation with steady income and that’s a good approach in this current market state. Happy to connect and see what you could qualify for! Rentals loans/ DSCR loans are typically 20% down
Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
2y
I started with a duplex so that if even if had a vacant unit, I'd still have one cash flowing. Not the case with a SFH. One thing people sometimes forget about is that your down payment will jump from 15% to 25% from SFH to MFH with conventional financing, so that may limit your options.
@Victor Nguyen I like multi family because there’s additional rents to offset any vacancy.
Part of your decision will be what you can afford. If you can find a duplex or 3-4 unit property that makes financial sense with the necessary down payment and reserves then that would be my recommendation.
Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
2y
@Victor Nguyen for starting out either is fine if the numbers work, but if you do a duplex I would recommend starting with the a side-by-side duplex the first time you do one rather than a multi-floor building.
The reason being is that managing multis (duplexes) with tenants living over each other come with different problems such as noise complaints, and can limit your options accepting pets.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
You can get a great mix of cash-flow and appreciation in Columbus, OH. The city has so many factors pointing to economic growth and you can still buy real estate that cash-flows.
I am a first time real estate investor trying to build my real estate portfolio. I hav some excess cash that I would like to put in a rental property. My goal is to get a little bit of cash flow and appreciation. I understand that single family units take a while before they cash flow, and I'm perfectly fine with that if the investment is right. I also want to invest in something that will not give me too many headaches. For a first time real estate investor, which option would you prefer? Single Family Units or Multi-Family?
I would recommend house hacking locally. Do a 2-4 unit. That is what I did in 2017 in Ohio.
If house hacking is out of the question then I recommend starting out with a single family. Those are a little easier for beginners
Investor · Arizona & Oregon Coast · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 113 votes
2y
I agree with @Remington Lyman. If you can house hack where you are and the numbers look good it is a great way to start out.
As you have heard in the comments, a single family is typically easier to sell if you need to than a duplex; and while one tenant is technically easier than two, I don't think there is that much difference in how hard one is to own than the other. My view and my buy box is always where can I ad value? If a property is ugly and I can fix it up and make it pretty to get nice tenants at good rent rates, that is what I look for since I can force appreciation; and having forced equity and better cash flow because of now higher rents is always preferred to me.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 365 posts · 264 votes
2y
@Victor Nguyen I prefer the single families homes in the suburbs. The renter clientele is much more consistent and typically the appreciation is as well so it makes for a more passive investment. In markets like Memphis and others here in the southern/middle part of the country we are still able to cash flow despite the interest rate environment.
Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance. Best of luck on the journey!
Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 31 posts · 24 votes
2y
@Victor Nguyen Awesome you are getting into the investor game!
A few questions: How much excess cash do you have? You don't need to respond publically, however, that can determine the % down payment. Multi-family is going to cost more than a single family home and might require a larger down payment. What is your goal exactly and what does a little bit of cash flow mean to you?
Any type of rentals, whether it's single family or multi-family, will come with its own challenges and set of headaches. That's just par for the course. Even if you hire a property management company, then you take on the job of managing the property manager. Make sure you set aside a monthly budget for maintenance and have the proper insurance in place for maximum protection.
I would suggest starting with a single family unit before multi-family as you get used to the business.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 100 votes
2y
I agree with @Taz Zettergren, but for some reason I keep stumbling on the duplexes I'm up to 6 now. I do like the suburbs though - better rent growth, appreciation potential, and quality of tenant.
I am a first time real estate investor trying to build my real estate portfolio. I hav some excess cash that I would like to put in a rental property. My goal is to get a little bit of cash flow and appreciation. I understand that single family units take a while before they cash flow, and I'm perfectly fine with that if the investment is right. I also want to invest in something that will not give me too many headaches. For a first time real estate investor, which option would you prefer? Single Family Units or Multi-Family?
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
@Victor Nguyen let's not assume and be clear, for most seasoned investors SFR = 1-4 family since you can get a traditional mortgage on them. FNMA, FHLMC, FHA and VA also use this definition.
MF typically means 5+ units that are only eligible for a commercial loan.
Given this, an investor typically gets a better return on 2-4 unit properties than 1-unit.