Let's Talk About Our Screw-Ups!

Let's Talk About Our Screw-Ups!

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

I originally started writing about real estate because I wanted to hold myself accountable for my what I was doing, because I wanted to learn from my own mistakes and because I wanted to help others keep from making the same mistakes I've already made.

Unfortunately, as time passes, I seem to spend less and less time writing about my mistakes.  Perhaps it's ego (I don't like to admit when I screw up), perhaps it's perceptions (I don't like others to know how often I screw up) and perhaps I'm making fewer mistakes than I used to.  Sadly, that last part probably isn't true...I still make LOTS of them...  :-)

Regardless, I believe that the best way to learn is through mistakes.  So, I wanted to start a thread where people could share the details of the mistakes they've made recently.  It can be mistakes during purchase, rehabbing mistakes, selling mistakes or any other mistakes you think will help others.

I'll start with three mistakes I've made recently (and the lessons learned):

1.  General Mistake:  I always leave a lockbox on-site with keys to the house.  This way, contractors can get in and out when they need to.  Unfortunately, as I've learned a couple times now, if you only leave one key at the house, it *will* get lost.  I was trying to get a house on the market today, but another contractor accidentally took the key to the house with him, and my punch guy couldn't get in today.  It would take me too long to get the spare key and get up to the house today, so we're basically going to miss our deadline.  Lesson learned:  Always keep a second key hidden around the property.  The main key *will* get lost/taken at some point and you're wasting both yours and your contractor's time by not having another one there.

2.  Inspection Mistake:  I had an inspection scheduled on a new construction foundation.  I forgot to set up a ladder for the inspector to have access to the basement, so when he showed up, there was no access.  He was exceptionally irritated (made a note that I "wasted his time"), which will likely hurt his impression of our project later and could make things more difficult for us.  Lesson learned:  Always make sure inspectors have what they need for inspections and if at all possible, BE THERE when the inspector gets there.

3.  Rehabbing Mistake:  When you pour a concrete foundation, if you want plumbing/sewer to come into the crawl space or basement area, you need to give the foundation guys the "sleeves" that they insert in the wall molds to create the holes for the pipes.  I was running late and didn't get there in time to get the sleeves in (I actually completely forgot).  My foundation guy basically laughed at me and said, "Oh well!"  Now, we'll have to pay the plumber to drill the holes and will take some extra risks with waterproofing the holes where the water/sewer lines come in.  Lesson learned:  Write things down.  Coordinate with contractors first thing in the morning on things they'll need for the day. 

Okay everyone...tell us about your recent mistakes and give us some good lessons learned...

12Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Darren SagerPro Member
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

The biggest mistake I ever made was taking on a tenant because a "realtor friend" asked me to do her "a favor" while they were looking for a house to purchase.   She promised me she would notify me with plenty of time so that I could find another tenant easily however it was not the case.  The "realtor friend" didn't do what she said she would and the tenant moved out with little notice at the very worst time of the year for me to find a tenant (October). This led me to eat two months of rent.  The following tenant that moved in  I didn't scrutinize as greatly as I should and it led to my only time having to go to court and costing me more money.    Needless to say I would highly recommend not doing any "favors" for anyone that compromise your business standards because in many cases it can lead to trouble down the road. My lesson has been learned the hard way all because I did a favor that compromised my standards. Have your standards and stick to them!

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Longview, TX · Member since 2012 · 631 posts · 186 votes
    12y

    @J Scott Thanks for the thread J. We are still new and haven't figured out our mistakes yet but imam looking forward to reading others who care to share the experiences they have in REI. THANKS

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    i hired a handyman from craigslist 3 weeks ago to repair a few items in 2 rentals. i paid him $200 before i inspected the work. later, i found out that he had completed only half of the items. 

    i never do that, but he was lucky that we just had a baby the day before and the house was occupied, so i could not inspect it. 

    note to self - the contractor can wait to get paid until the next morning. and $200 is drop in the bucket.

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    The biggest mistake I ever made was taking on a tenant because a "realtor friend" asked me to do her "a favor" while they were looking for a house to purchase.   She promised me she would notify me with plenty of time so that I could find another tenant easily however it was not the case.  The "realtor friend" didn't do what she said she would and the tenant moved out with little notice at the very worst time of the year for me to find a tenant (October). This led me to eat two months of rent.  The following tenant that moved in  I didn't scrutinize as greatly as I should and it led to my only time having to go to court and costing me more money.    Needless to say I would highly recommend not doing any "favors" for anyone that compromise your business standards because in many cases it can lead to trouble down the road. My lesson has been learned the hard way all because I did a favor that compromised my standards. Have your standards and stick to them!

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    -Overpaying

    -Trusting "experts"

    -Too nice of upgrades in the wrong area 

    -Using too much cash in deals w/o any kind of discount

    -Not careful in working w/ tenants or "helping" people out

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 116 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    Here is one, I have many more!

    I was rehabbing a rental triplex in a lower-class area of town, and I dropped by early one morning before anyone showed up to see that my circuitbreaker box was popped open and someone had crudely hardwired a heavy duty extension cord directly to the contacts in the box.  The extension was laying on the backyard area pointing towards a certain neighbor. 

    I immediately assumed that the neighbor was using my vacant property's electricity to power his house during the evening, and had disconnected for the morning, but not cleaned up his evidence yet. (I had already seen enough to make certain judgments about him).  My first impulse was to cut the cord into about 15 pieces and throw them over the fence to his backyard.  After calling a friend, he suggested that I not escalate the situation, but instead nicely coil the cord and leave it on the neighbor's lawn with a note saying that I am trying to be a good neighbor and am happy to help out, but I cannot afford to provide him with electricity.  I couldn't bring myself to write the note, but I decided to coil and leave the cord. 

    About an hour later I get a phone call from my worker who was restoring my floor with a heavy duty sander, asking if I knew why his extension cord was on the next door neighbor's lawn...!!!! (he had opened up the breaker and hardwired it because he needed a higher voltage/different shaped outlet than was in the unit)

    So, that was a real screw up in terms of my judgment and jumping to conclusions, but thankfully had no financial consequences.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    We were successful builders, building small commercial projects (office parks, office buildings, office/retail condos, medical/dental clinics, etc.) Though we had built SFR in the past, it's not what we were doing at the time. The market was hot, and there was a big demand for new houses. A property came up that another developer couldn't get the pieces of the puzzle together on. We had always loved the property. There was a tentative map ready to be approved. We made an offer on it that was accepted. BUT, one little detail, dealing with the Army Corp of Engineers had to be completed before the final map was approved. My husband, who is GREAT at dealing with government agencies and regulations had everything ready to go for the approval. One slight glitch, the Army Corp wanted a chain link fence around a little indentation in the land (a gulley) that was about 15' long (simple enough). The local building department wanted a gate in the fence. They fought for months over it. It put the project off for a year, because winter was coming and dirt work wouldn't be allowed until the following spring. We came onto the market in spring. The first half of the project went great. Our prices were the best in town, standard options were upgrades in other subdivisions, etc. THEN.. the market crashed, and we had half our subdivision die. It basically wiped us out! LESSON learned, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. If you have a business plan, stick with it.  If you read my chapter in the Community Book, you'll see what happened! Let's just say, the title of the chapter is "Out of the Ashes!" Community Book

  • Rental Property Investor · Lewistown, PA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Buying a commercial property at an auction and getting excited about the thrill of the auction.  Ended up paying more than I should have and I didn't have a tenant lined up.  For years I have been paying out of pocket to keep this property.  This property doesn't even fit my business model.  As the commercial market changes in the neighborhood I will still be able to profit from the property, but in the mean time I could have put that money to better use.  Always learning from my mistakes!    

  • Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2010 · 99 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    Recently purchased a turnkey that I knew market rent for was $800-$825.  The turnkey seller put a tenant in there for $925.   Needless to say I didn't collect any rent until I evicted and repaired all the damage.  I put too much trust in the turnkey seller and learned some valuable lessons.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waukegan, IL · Member since 2013 · 367 posts · 80 votes
    12y

    - Buying income property before getting educated on what cash flow really is

    - Not fully vetting contractors

    - Not fully understanding the 203k rehab loan process. Which you can read about my current journey here. 

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    We lost $1500 straightaway on a rogue roofer.  

    We had a roofing job done on one our our SFRs.  We found the guy through a newspaper ad, checked him out with the Department of Labor & Industry.  He had all the credentials, licensed, bonded, insured, legit business.  He did a great job for us.  Very personable and quality work.

    Two years later, we decided to reroof another SFR. We called him to do the job. All seemed fine, looked at the roof, picked the materials, he gave us a written bid. All's good. We accept his bid. He asks for $1500 to buy the materials. I question why we shouldn't just buy the materials as we had before at the roofing supply store in Vancouver and have him pick them up, as is our normal business procedure. He answers that he has another supply source in Portland where he can get us a better deal and that he can go that day, get the materials and get started on the project right away. We write him a check and he looks at it and says he banks at a different bank and asks us if we will go with him to our credit union so he can cash the check. He has a buddy with him that I have not seen before whom I am feeling uneasy about. My intuition is kicking in. My husband is excited about the job getting done right away and getting a good deal on the materials. We go to our credit union. The tellers know us, but I can see a look of concern on their faces as my husband authorizes them to cash the check for the roofer. With money in hand, the roofer jumps in his truck and I see a wry kind of smile on the face of his buddy.

    The job didn't get started and we have a few conversations with the roofer by telephone and he stalls us in a convincing manner.  Two weeks later, we never hear from him again and can't find him.  We contact L & I who handles all of the contractor licensing and learn that the roofer had lost his license two months prior and is no longer licensed, bonded and insured.  L & I say they can do nothing to help us other than put a note in the file that he is operating without a license, as he gave us the written bid on his old bid/contract sheet which shows his now defunct business license.  We later find out, in the two years since we had first worked with this roofer, he had gotten into using drugs and had tipped over to the wayward side.

    Lesson learned:  Check to make sure your contractors are licensed, bonded, insured before every job, not just the first time you work with them.  Trust your intuition.  Don't let the thought of getting a good deal blind you to reality.  Stick to your business procedures.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    We rented to a tenant that, in retrospect, we shouldn't have.  We'd had the unit on the market for 2 months, during the recession when there wasn't that much demand for units, and a woman finally came along who almost met our screening criteria.  Her credit score was almost 600, her income was almost 3x rent, etc.  Well, we ended up having to evict her about 1.5 years later for not paying rent, after she had repeatedly paid rent late throughout her tenancy.  Lesson: don't compromise on your screening criteria.  Not even a little.

  • Real Estate Investor · Somerset, KY · Member since 2011 · 211 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Where to start...lol! I have owned multiunit rentals for 10+ years and I started at age 26 so I have learned some GREAT lessons..haha! Honestly I am thankful for each and every one of them b/c I have learned from them!! I love some of he previous comments...funny!!

     I was busy here a while back with all sorts of stuff and a younger investor friend called me to ask for advice. We taked for a few minutes and I told him I needed to call him back later but he should probably ask his lawyer about this issue. He said he called but htey hadnt called him back, he was mad and wanted to know what I thought real quick. He stated while on the phone he had a tenant that was a couple days past due beyond the grace period on rent. When he has been to the property and called them he gets no replies whatsoever and feels they are just dodging him to pay the rent. He said all of their stuff was still in the property and wanted to know what he could do about it legally, what have I done to handle this type situation? I told him that in our state if the tenants havnt been seen or heard from in X # of days and they will not reply to door notes and phone calls its considered abandonment (which it is). He asked what to do with their stuff in this case and I told him he had to put it in storage for 30 days to give them an opportunity to pay their debt and release their stuff back to them. I told him  I had changed someones locks in a similar situation after putting a "24hr notice of entry" letter on their door when I had this problem and they called me REAL FAST, we resolved to issue, and they agreed to moved. 

     So my buddy goes and changes the locks, cleared the house out, and low and behold he gets his phone call alright!!! These people were LIVID mad...lol!!! They caused him more drama than a night in jail (I have never been to jail)!!! Lucky for my buddy (not really) the female tenant's parents owned rental property so the tenant and her parents let him know real quick that he couldn't legally do this and it was a huge mess!!! They said they were just out of town for a few days and had planned on paying him... but I highly doubt it!!! These probably were the worst people ever to rent to in the first place b/c he seen several warning signs since they moved in!!! The cussed him, texted him, threatned courts and lawsuits and everything!!!! 

    So...he used his head about the situation to try and ease out and let it go freeing them of any costs for rents and damages. He gave the kids clothes to the parents to show he was making an effort to resolve the issue kindly, he told the tenants that he wouldnt report the pills and bag of pot he found if they resolved it in a civil manner, and he gave a rent-to- own company their couch back so the tenants wouldnt get prosecuted. In the end he resolved the matter and re-rented his house but man what a mess. 

    In the sequence of his questions and me being in a hurry I forgot to tell him the steps of the process and told him we would talk later. You can change the locks with a 24hr notice and it falls under security maintenance and you will get a phone call from your tenants in most cases wanting in their place...lol, hey..works for me!! You have to file for eviction, serve court papers, go to court, wait out the grace time given by the judge, and use the proper paperwork before removing their possessions!!!! 

    The screw up on my part was me not thinking he might do it ALL TODAY RIGHT NOW and I forgot to call him back shortly after I was free. I felt terrible, even though I told him to consult with his lawyer, b/c I could have got him into a huge legal mess unintentionally. The big screw up was mainly on his part for just taking off and doing it without getting more details from me and/or talking to his lawyer first. Next time I will try and remember to HIGHLY caution people to consult before doing anything and not give them quick answers to questions like these.

    My buddy said he would never go and do that again...lol!!!!!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott We put the key in the utility box on the side of the house, it was pretty standard where we used to live. 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @J Scott We put the key in the utility box on the side of the house, it was pretty standard where we used to live. 

     We have lockboxes, but for some reason or contractors leave with the key in their pockets way to often...never had a break in, so I don't think it's on purpose...

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @J Scott We put the key in the utility box on the side of the house, it was pretty standard where we used to live. 

     We have lockboxes, but for some reason or contractors leave with the key in their pockets way to often...never had a break in, so I don't think it's on purpose...

     Give the contractor his own key.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y

    good topic,

    not having cleaned out a rental properties' garage of mine years ago. now I have a partner sharing it with me/ (who cleaned it out/fixed it up) cuts the grass at the property/pays me a c note a month for sharing use of it, and nobody will dare touch it as he is known to hurt a fool who dares steal from him around baltimore

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 54 votes
    12y

    Biggest mistake?  Not joining Bigger Pockets five years ago...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @J Scott We put the key in the utility box on the side of the house, it was pretty standard where we used to live. 

     We have lockboxes, but for some reason or contractors leave with the key in their pockets way to often...never had a break in, so I don't think it's on purpose...

     Give the contractor his own key.

      I have between 5-20 subs for every project.  Don't want to give them all keys...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Great thread J. Somebody just recently replied in a thread I was active in and made the comment that BP "sugar coats things" and that nobody talks about mistakes. I quickly corrected him and pointed out that I for one have posted about many mistakes as mistakes are the best way to learn. Not only that, I think most members (not all) on BP do just the opposite of sugar coating. Thanks for your thread which goes towards proving my point!!!

    As to recent mistakes for me, taking my IPad and checking emails everyday whole on vacation is not something I recommend, though I will admit, working from the beach in Peru is not that bad.

    Recent mistake: letting my guard down and trusting someone whom I have previously had a good relationship with. I won't spill the details because they are not of importance here, but make sure you dongles your guard down and ALWAYS have EVERYTHING in writing!! As Forrest Gump would say, "and that's all I have to say about that."

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Leveraging my primary residence by putting it up for collateral against a huge rehab project without telling my wife....should work out great thought...:)

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Mount Pleasant, PA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    I still cannot believe this mistake I made two weeks ago.  A guy did three roofs for me over the past year, so I had him bid another.  He bid it right, and I gave him 3000 down- and never heard from him again in the past two weeks!  He's licensed and insured.  Won;t return texts or calls.  I think he's gone to Mexico!!!  And so then I did a google search and his name is at the top of the list of rip off artists in my area.  Now I am calling my buddy who is a lawyer, to get this guy for theft of $3000!  I never pay upfront- NEVER.  Until two weeks ago, and I know better.

  • Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2012 · 588 posts · 224 votes
    12y

    Getting caught up in contractor's drama.  He was about to get evicted, needed some money. He started stuff so I gave him a partial draw, then he split with work unfinished.

    Not writing a detailed contract....or not sticking to it.

    Not planning ahead in a project.  If you are going to GC yourself, you need to be thinking 1-2 weeks out to get the next thing ready and clearing obstacles.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott 

       Ergo the difference between our market PDX and others. We don't give anyone keys until we are well into finish work . the garage door is unlocked they just roll it up and close it when they leave. we need no security at any time during the first 2/3rds of construction.

    once cabs and appliances are in we will lock up and activate the garage door.. then we simply give the garage door code to all the contractors. or the code to the contractors lock box.

    If our foundation guy did not put pass throughs  in for plumbing etc he would be fired. Would not be anything I would have to do.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Bought a house in Florida (I live in Wa State) ... In 2006. Seriously, 2006.  Who could have known?!

    Didn't do adequate rent comps.

    Didn't have a solid management plan.

    Trusted an old friend far too much (real estate agent on hard times).

    Bought on emotion, trusting the market to continue to rise rather than on solid investment principles.  

    Learned not to do any of those things again!

  • Douglas LarsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    12y

    Great thread! @J Scott 

    Just 3 months ago I bought a home through a wholesaler and the owner on title "needed a few weeks to move out." I asked for and got a written agreement that the owner would be out in 3 weeks after closing. She was out in less than 3 weeks as promised but her ex-boyfriend who was living in the basement felt that didn't apply to him. He was not on title and I didn't think to ask about others living in the home. He didn't move out for another 2 months! He did pay rent but my project was delayed by 2 months because I didn't get all parties living in the residence to sign the agreement to vacate! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.