Derek Luttrell
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
How Often Do Things Really Go Wrong?

Derek Luttrell
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Sep 28 2017, 14:20

Hi Everyone, 

Pardon what could be a wildly ignorant question, but I drove from Chicago to suburban Indiana last weekend to look at some duplexes, and I am doing the same this weekend--needless to say, I am incredibly eager and excited to close on my first investment property before turning 26 in six months (I'm currently house-hacking my primary residence in Chicago, if that counts).

Especially for out of state investors who don't have a big portfolio yet, is there ever buyer's remorse about having a property management company? Are there months that go by where there are zero maintenance call/issues/expenses, and you're just paying to have the PM company on retainer? Do people have luck with having a relationship with a local handyman who can just invoice you hourly/per job, or do unexpected maintenance calls really happen that frequently? 

In my limited experience of being a renter, the only time I ever texted my landlord was during Chicago's 2014 polar vortex and my heating needed a swift kick in the pants. Other than that...it was pretty easy being a quiet tenant. 

Thanks for reading, 

- Derek 

Loading replies...