Can I put any house up for rent in NJ?

6 Replies

Are there any NJ investors that know if I buy a house, can I rent it out regardless of the neighborhood?  Or does it need to be in zoned for renting?  Or is it town specific?  

John,

AFAIK,  you can rent any home anywhere in NJ. Air BnB (overnight) lodging may be restricted, and condos by the homeowners association may also be restricted. Standard rent your house for 6 months or more isn't that I know of. 

Good luck, 

Jim 

Don't know NJ, but every state I've invested in, there are always different rules in different neighborhoods, especially HOAs and Condo communities, and also many cities impose certain registration requirements and/or inspections either city-wide or specific rental districts, so do your homework on any individual property. I always personally call the HOA or condo management and ask specifically about rental restrictions, pet restrictions, etc., even if the home is currently rented as some may allow rentals but have wait-lists after transfer of property or the current owner may be renting without proper registration or permission. I also research the city website to determine rental inspection and registration requirements and call the specific department to ask them how long the inspection process currently takes and if it can be rented before the inspection occurs if they are months out for scheduling them.

Definitely check with the township. I'm in PA and in certain towns the landlord needs a rental license and others you don't. Just do your homework.

John, 

No.. don't be sorry... English is better than abbreviations. 

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Good luck, 

Jim  

I am in PA as well. I had to get a business license and a rental license with a rental inspection done before I could rent out my property. I think it's safe to assume virtually any home you want to rent out needs a rental license from the township/county/city. Without a legitimate license, my understanding is that you will have a difficult time getting through adverse situations as a landlord such as evictions/ejectment because you are essentially running an unlawful operation. Renting out a property has little to do with zoning rules "AFAIK."

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here