How absolutely disheartening

24 Replies

So i posted on here that i was new, looking for knowledge- but not for free, willing to put in the work or small investment that I've saved in order to bring value to a mentor. I've been reading posts and listening to the podcast for a while now so im expecting some well wishes and folks willing to steer me in the right direction. What do i get, i get my post deleted by BP police calling it advertising. WHAT?!?. And in order to post said advertisements (blind person could see it was simply a request for help and mentorship without being a bum or bringing nothing to the table) i was told i need to pay to play. I joined the forum and listen to the podcasts because i felt that this was one place that was real, that wasn't a gimmick or scam and primarily bc they allowed free exchange of information and education. Well apparently i was wrong. For once i would like to be part of something that isn't focused on getting money out of me to get to the next level. I used to be a cheerleader FOR BP. Now the opposite will be true. Sad day indeed.
To clarify, I'm not saying I'll be spewing hateful rhetoric about BP. I'm trying not to "throw the baby out with the bath water" and still want to retain some of the value I picked up. Just a bit disappointed currently, I thought better of them. I guess I shouldn't be too shocked or upset, everyone's trying to make a buck on here after all;)

I have had posts of mine deleted asking for recommendations, which is bizarre because I see posts asking for recommendations ALL OVER the forum. Apparently MY posts were deal-making. I don't think the admins are very consistent.

@Shaun Calloway   I've had posts deleted too.  I try to pay attention to the rules, but a couple of times I've stepped over the line of "self promotion" without really thinking about it.

One of the best parts of BP is that they don't allow spamming.  If you want to see what results when you don't police the forums, look at Connected Investors.  That place is a zoo.

Unfortunately, I signed up there a couple of years ago and got blasted with spam from day 1.

What I tell people about BP is that it's now over 1M members and the vast majority are genuinely trying to help other each other out.  

There's a master's level education in the forums and podcasts.  Don't miss out on those.

As to scams, the only scams I've seen here are getting called out in the forums.  Just for laughs, search on "Morris Invest", run by former Fox News morning anchor Clayton Morris.

After reading what his companies have done to investors, I wouldn't buy a $100 bill from him if he was selling it for a dollar.

Seeking mentors or offering mentorship is against the forum rules. You can post in the Marketplace seeking or offering services or mentorship, but not in the forums.  The forum rules can seem pretty strict, but they have allowed this community to remain the best online real eatate forum for over a decade while other sites are over run with spam.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/rules

@Shaun Calloway   don't take it personal I have had posts deleted too and wondered why. Be patient, you will find your groove. It is true that all of us on here are out to make a buck but none are here long to make a buck off the backs of others. My experience is that members go out of their way to help out others-take some time to go over a few threads and I think you will agree. So Shaun stick with it and all the best!

Just to echo what @Russell Brazil posted, most people would be surprised (well, maybe they wouldn't, who knows) at the barrage of posts coming through every day solely for the purpose of selling you something or redirecting you somewhere to sell you something. This is not to say that sometimes we (moderators) don't make a mistake and remove something that should have been left standing, but most of the time (obvious spam excepted) you'll get an e-mail describing the 'offense'. What I would say is don't take it personally - the moderators don't know you and aren't trying to sabotage your efforts. 

Also, the marketplace isn't just designed for people that have lots of product to move or are doing this for a living. Think of it as your commercial zone in your town. Most towns don't allow you to open a business or store front anywhere you want - it has to be in areas they (the town) have deemed suitable for commerce, whether you're a Salvation Army or Walmart. If the regular forums were left to their own devices, virtually every thread would devolve into "Call me and I can hook you up with that" posts. So the site owner has decided that commerce of virtually any type - including bartering or giving things away for some other consideration - needs to happen in the Marketplace. 

PS: I'm not trying to sell "Pro" memberships here, but just one comment: you really need to be willing to invest in yourself before you can reasonably expect other people to invest in you. That doesn't necessarily mean a paid membership here, but the point is that denigrating memberships is really just saying "I don't think what I want to achieve, or offer, is worth paying the Pro membership fee", which is about $20 per month. If you would pay a mentor $240, wouldn't it be worth the same thing to be able to find them for free or barter here? 

@JD Martin I understand what you're driving at. My only rebuttal would be, deleting a post then immediately "offering" the opportunity to post the same for a fee, seems to be steering to a product, and hey, their website - they can steer as they choose. But I understand the desire to segregate a true marketplace scenario from the regular forums. Thanks for the follow up.
@Shaun Calloway I wonder if these are reviewed manually (by admins), or if there is a software tool screening the posts...which may be why it appears this way? For example, if you mention money, or paying someone for something, maybe they consider that a marketplace discussion instead of a request for assistance. I've had posts deleted when someone asks for a recommendation and I provide a name, business name, and phone number. A subsequent post went through when I left the phone number off. So...it looked to me like someone, or some"thing" was screening for phone numbers and assuming that posts with phone numbers must be people trying to get business. I wouldn't take this stuff personally. I don't think it is meant that way. I do think they are trying their best to reduce shameless self-promotion for personal benefit, and sometimes things we say may be construed that way even if was not our intent.
Originally posted by @Shaun Calloway :
@Courtney M. Thanks for telling this. I actually asked how it was handled due to the subjectivity of the content. Oh well, I'll try to taylor my posts to be more nebulous for future reviewers;)

If you are interested in specific markets, set up keywords or run searches for cities in those markets. You'll find investors and people active in the areas you'd like to connect with. This is how I found my broker and other contacts.

Originally posted by @Linda Osborn :
@Shaun Calloway I wonder if these are reviewed manually (by admins), or if there is a software tool screening the posts...which may be why it appears this way? For example, if you mention money, or paying someone for something, maybe they consider that a marketplace discussion instead of a request for assistance. I've had posts deleted when someone asks for a recommendation and I provide a name, business name, and phone number. A subsequent post went through when I left the phone number off. So...it looked to me like someone, or some"thing" was screening for phone numbers and assuming that posts with phone numbers must be people trying to get business. I wouldn't take this stuff personally. I don't think it is meant that way. I do think they are trying their best to reduce shameless self-promotion for personal benefit, and sometimes things we say may be construed that way even if was not our intent.

Nope. It's just an army of (mostly) volunteers trying to keep up with thousands of posts every day. It might seem random because we don't catch everything - it's not possible. Sometimes members help by reporting obviously blatant issues as well. 

@Shaun Calloway

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I can understand the difficult job these admins have as there are over 1M members and thousands of posts per day. There are people with absolutely no life whatsoever so they tend to "troll" the site posting crap, ahem, numerous worthless and harassing posts. Then there are the spammers selling the Brooklyn bridge. How much spam do you get in your email?  Same thing on this site that gets deleted by the admins so me or you only see it for a few minutes. These are time sucking distractions that take away from the real work that needs to be done.

I had my profile pic deleted for promotional reasons, which was incorrect, but it is no big deal as I understand the difficulty and massive workload of an army of volunteers who are unpaid to help out. Did I mention that they are unpaid?

Like my buddy @Steve Vaughan, I am not trying to get any business out of this site. We have enough "business" as it is. We only want to give back to the community as a means of paying it forward, so we don't get the Pro membership. It would be a different story if we were starting out.  Also, I do understand that running the number one RE investing site costs money, so I understand the need to raise money through selling Pro memberships.  If they had a money crunch, I would sign up ASAP. 

Keep investing and stay positive! Good luck.