What Are Your Personal Goals for 2019?

What Are Your Personal Goals for 2019?

Developer · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 125 posts · 137 votes

I am curious what people are thinking about for goals for 2019- are they financial? are they personal growth focused? are they multi-leveled? What are you doing to meet these goals to hold yourself accountable? How are you or do you keep track? 

17Reply
590 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
7y

My personal goal will be one of the most difficult to achieve. Slowing down and getting out of real estate investing.

Like many that have enough in life the drive to have more, or believe more is required,  is an addiction.

See this reply in the discussion

162 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Perry Great timing to for people to start thinking about these!

    My goals in no particular order:

    1. Finances: Buy my first property to BRRRR and acquire 2 other properties for BRRRR. Action - decide on the correct market and pull the trigger on the right deal.
    2. Creativity: Start blogging my educational journey in REI for my own accountability and reflection. Action - Keep learning and start writing.
    3. Health: Continue to challenge my diet by eating real foods and exercising portion control to maximize my physique goals. Recover from torn MCL by sticking to PT then hiring a personal trainer to maximize accountability in the gym. Action - intentional practice of discipline.
    4. Relationship: Be the best husband I can by supporting and being my wife's biggest cheerleader. One special date night per month. Don't get bent out of shape about the petty issues. Action - don't be an *** about unimportant things.
    5. Hobby: Take ASA 101/102/104 classes as an intro to sailing and allow me to bare charter a sailboat. Action - book the training classes.
    6. Work/Career: Be intentional at work. Work is time for work. Hours after work are time for all other activities including REI. Action - Apply "The One Thing" philosophy to cut down on "clutter" of work.

    I think the main theme is to be more deliberate and disciplined in all areas. Looking forward to an awesome 2019. Good luck to all.

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    I’m new to REI, my goals are to complete 1 wholesale deal a month in 2019. Build enough capital to purchase a multi family unit to turn into a transitional housing project for single mothers. Connect with more like minded individuals. Attend atleast 3-4 local REI meetings.
  • Port Richey, FL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    For me, personally, I am aiming to buy three properties that are well leveraged. I enjoy the thought of scaling my investments. As I scale I want the leverage to be proportionate for my portfolio. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Matthew Perry,

    You know what my goal is for 2019... to take an actual VACATION!   It sounds stupid, but in 3 years since we got into real estate, we're working every weekend, and haven't prioritized ourselves to take a break... 2019 it's happening!

    Business wise...  I want to hit 20 houses or  15K gross rents/mo

  • Rental Property Investor · TriState OH KY, WV · Member since 2012 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Well, I completed my first BRRRR this year and closing a triplex and a duplex right now. My goal for 2018 was to have 10 doors. As of now, I'm at 8.

    2019 Goals

    100 Doors (Lofty, I know)

    Finish my personal pilot license

    Buy my first plane

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
    7y

    First, I'm' not a goal(s) setter. To focus on a list of 5-10 realistic or unrealistic projects at one time would drive me crazy. 

    I pray for guidance and things just happen. Last month I was looking for some land (in Branson Mo.) to build our retirement home on. A man I was talking to said he knew someone who was wanting to sell 5 duplexes. I found the seller and am now doing a 1031 turning 2 doors into 10. Then I get a call from a RE agent I was working with and he asked me if I would be interested in a 5 plex another customer he had was needing to sell. I'll close on the first deal next month and start working on the 5 plex.

    Neither one of those scenarios would have fit into any plans I would of made on my own.  I never thought I would reach the point of MFRs so that was never my focus. 

    I clean my plate one bite at a time and before it's empty, someone is putting more on it. And its usually something I would have never ordered off the menu.

    Blessings to all in 2019!

  • Oregon City, OR · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    *Buy my first property *Grow my network *Expand my learning
  • Rental Property Investor · Chubbuck, ID · Member since 2018 · 532 posts · 466 votes
    7y

    I have a new flip I will close on next Wednesday.  My goal is to finish rehab and have it on the market by 3/1/19 and use the gain to put a down pmt on a rental when a good deal pops up and start on another flip once my new rental is ready to go.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    My goals for 2019 are to close on 60 mortgage transactions as a loan officer for my day to day job but my passion project is to do my first flip or by my first rehab and hold investment property!

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    I want to take over the world.
  • Developer · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 125 posts · 137 votes
    7y

    @Linda S.  

    that goal of a vacation is a great one! That was actually one of my first goals way back when I first started, I wanted to do a first class European/Greek islands. I think it is a great goal because it allows us to work hard for something and then take a mental pause, relax, and recharge we could all do at some point in the year when we need to take a beat and recharge the battery. 

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Buy a primary residence! Hopefully it'll be a fixer to house hack. Education! I have much to learn, books to read, advice to hear, etc. Network! Attend meetings, help other investors, maybe even do a deal. Job change! I've been applying to remote positions in my current career, which would be advantageous to my goals. Or shift to a real estate related job for the osmosis education.
  • MN · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    My personal goals for 2019 and now is praying to get my first deal weather that is wholesale or a flip. #2 Become debt free #3 to reach 200k in 2019.

  • Developer · LA, Nashville TN · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    Complete 2+ flips. Buy 1+ BRR property. Get financing for 2-4 new builds. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 25 votes
    7y
    @Daniel C. What are your ideas for the homeless vets project? I’d message you but i want others to be aware of and see this conversation. I’m a Navy pilot and in touch with a few organizations and individuals that may be able to help with certain things here. I’d love to keep tabs on this if it gets moving! Here to help!
  • New to Real Estate · MELISSA, TX · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    My goal is to lose another 25 pounds and get back to my teenager years weight. Do one commercial deal by the end of the year. Close 20 deals whither assignment, wholetail, or buy & hold the end of the year. Pay down bad debt to increase my DTI. Find a partner mentor or coach that I can add value to.
  • Real Estate Agent · Malaysia · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 22 votes
    7y
    @Matthew Perry write a roadmap plan and follow it through. I will just make sure its a Specific Measureable Achievable Realistic & Time-stamped
  • Rental Property Investor · York, PA · Member since 2017 · 377 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    1. Get in touch with a former cast member from the show Friends. Done, as of this post

    2. Increase my real estate worth by $1mil. 

  • Investor · Holiday, FL · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Our goal is to complete our 1st two  flips. This will allow us to pay off a few final  debts, like vehicle loans. Our current home is paid off.  It will also allow us to bank some to use less hard money for future flips. The long term "why" is to get to financial freedom but intially to save for my wife's  pending transplant. We would love to partner with one or two others to eventually create a flipping machine and add buyandholds for long term freedom.

    More than 2019 goals but it starts with those 1st two flips.

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    @Matthew Perry Awesome Question. My first goal is to close on a strong ROI multi-Family property in my area late thIs year or early next year. This will be my first investment property, so I’m like some others here — soaking up all the knowledge I can! My second goal is to find and acquire two more multi-family properties. My wife and I earn enough to have the down payment on 2-3 properties a year without any passive revenue stream, so we’re living frugally and putting money away like crazy. My third goal is to have my third child in January — not much of a choice in meeting that one! Any helpful advice anyone has regarding how to expand any faster, please reach out! I’ve got a 5-year plan to be financially free and cash flowing 5500/month take-home, but if I can meet that any faster it would be the dream. I currently work a highly stressful executive-level job and am supremely excited with the prospect of leaving it for quality family time and work that I am passionate about that is generated from my own efforts.
  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Buy 1,000 units

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Awesome question that got me thinking ...well for starters I'm going to work towards my goal of completing at least 2-3  wholesale deals a month if possible.

    Make better healthy food choices and make more time to workout

    DEFINETLY AIM FOR FINANCIAL FREEDOM!!

    Continue to dive into the real estate world more and just enhance my knowledge

    this is just the beginning !!

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Business Goals

    • Grow to 500 units owned by end of 2019
    • Synchronize my brokerage, property management co, and construction company so that they all can feed off each other, thus making the growth of each other much more fluid
    • Focus on and fine tune my systems

    Personal Goals

    • Find balance in my work/personal life
    • Practice more yoga and meditation 
    • Spend more time learning a hobby that both my girlfriend and I are both into
    • Participate and rank top 20 in Worlds Toughest Mudder
  • Realtor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Jonathan Hulen Hi Jonathan, would you be open to Chattanooga, TN as well? Several investors from Nashville are moving their money into the Chattanooga, Huntsville and Birmingham markets. We’re seeing the numbers you’re looking to hit there as well
  • Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    @Matthew Perry honestly, I don’t have very defined goals for next year. Just finished up closing my first deal (house hack triplex). My goal for next year is to do one flip and one brrrrr deal.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.