Should my first rental have a pool?

5 Replies

The property I am looking at has a pool, it being my first I am quite nervous about it. I hear a lot of horror stories dealing with pools and being so new i don't think I should add that to my belt. I also live in a Area where a pool is used 3-4 months out of the year, but the house is right night to a sizable college. any help? 

Originally posted by @Thomas Lee Nuckles :

The property I am looking at has a pool, it being my first I am quite nervous about it. I hear a lot of horror stories dealing with pools and being so new i don't think I should add that to my belt. I also live in a Area where a pool is used 3-4 months out of the year, but the house is right night to a sizable college. any help? 

In general, other than the coasts, having a pool is a liability. It costs a lot to maintain a pool and given the limited usage, you cut down your buyer-base by 50%.

Having said that, do a property inspection before you close. Find out if the pool needs a lot of deferred maintenance and if so, don't buy it. If you can find other deals in the same area, do so.

Nope..... just another expensive "appliance" that will cost $$ in the long run and the liability issues. Even when you hire a pool service to do the chemicals, cleaning  etc, the tenants will not treat it like its their own investment and it will get abused.

Doesn't add enough value to warrant the expense as a rental....maybe as a flip in the right market.....