New investor introducing myself

21 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets community! I'm new to this forum and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself and maybe get some tips on where to start out. I live in Oregon as an actor at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and am interested in real estate investing as a part-time way to make more money. I've listened to many of the BP podcasts and have browsed some posts here for thoughts on starting out. Are any of you invested in Oregon and maybe just completed your first few years of investing? I've been searching realtor.com and Zillow for properties in Eugene, OR that will cash flow but I'm fairly new to this so I dunno if I'm even looking in the right place. Hit me up if you have time. I'd love to connect with likeminded people in my area. Thanks!

Welcome to BP, @Moses Villarama . Congratulations, you have found one of the most valuable free resources on the internet for real estate investors new and old. We are happy to help you in any way we can.

Hey Moses, welcome! I'm in the Eugene area as well and fairly new to the business. From my limited experience, the market here is high and most of what is listed on the MLS is overpriced, with rents often undermarket and the new rent control law preventing bringing them up to market quickly. That said, there's opportunities in any market, you just won't find what you hear about in the Midwest, you have to set your expectations accordingly.

Hello @Moses Villarama !Welcome to BP! I also recently just joined as well. Although I currently live in Japan I'm from Oregon so I'm looking to do some investing there since I know the area. Although I do hear the West Coast is good for flips and the Midwest is better for rentals.

What type of properties are you looking into investing?

Originally posted by @Moses Villarama :

Hello BiggerPockets community! I’m new to this forum and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself and maybe get some tips on where to start out. I live in Oregon as an actor at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and am interested in real estate investing as a part-time way to make more money. I’ve listened to many of the BP podcasts and have browsed some posts here for thoughts on starting out. Are any of you invested in Oregon and maybe just completed your first few years of investing? I’ve been searching realtor.com and Zillow for properties in Eugene, OR that will cash flow but I’m fairly new to this so I dunno if I’m even looking in the right place. Hit me up if you have time. I’d love to connect with likeminded people in my area. Thanks!

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

@Ashley Ohno From what I’ve read, flipping takes a lot of time that I don’t have. Full-time I’m an actor, so I think rentals is what fits my lifestyle. I’m not sure I can find good deals in my local area, so I’ve been more focused on long distance investing.

@Moses Villarama

Welcome! I live in Eugene and have invested in both flips and rentals here. I agree with Thomas that the market is very high right now and that Oregon rental laws are discouraging for landlords. For that reason, I sold my rentals here and am reinvesting in the Midwest where I can get better cash flow, low cost of entry and much friendlier business/landlord laws.

Happy to chat further if you want to know more.

Best of luck to you!

@Moses Villarama I listened to plenty of podcasts to figure out what to look for in a market, narrowed it down to a few cities and eventually chose Indianapolis because I happen to visit periodically for work and felt a little more comfortable knowing I could see the properties every now and then.

From there I found some like minded out of state investors through the BP forums and eventually joined some Facebook groups where I’ve become networked with dozens of people doing exactly what I’m doing in that specific market. It’s been really valuable to have people I can learn from and share stories with who know the market and have resources to share with the group. Much easier than trying to build everything up on my own.

@Moses Villarama I've started investing here in Eugene and nearby. Down the road who knows where things will go, but for now, while working full time, having a family, and just getting started in this REI, I prefer to reduce what I have to learn in terms of markets and contacts. To Lauren's point, the cash flow isn't what you hear others getting, and the recent laws haven't made things easier. But at my stage, getting experience is more important than maximizing ROI.