Can Vinyl Siding Be Painted??

11 Replies

I’ve received several different responses when I’ve asked contractors. Some say yes and others say no. When I researched it, I found that if it’s painted, it can’t be painted any color darker than the existing vinyl color in order to avoid warping. The current color is like a canary yellow. 

Any professional painters out there? If so, I need a recommended paint brand and vinyl prepping steps if this can be done. I don’t want to get dinged by an inspector or appraiser due to painting the vinyl. Thanks. 

Use Vinylsafe by Sherwin-Williams and communicate that the house was freshly painted with paint specially formulated for Vinyl. 

Are you sure you need to paint it though? My parents house is canary yellow vinyl and I can't stand the way it looks. I hate it, but they love it. My point is maybe it is not necessary to paint if the siding is in good condition. Maybe it just needs to be washed with a vinyl rejuvenation cleaner versus painted.

I would post a picture here on BP and get some opinions.

This is a big job - not necessarily a complicated job, but probably bigger of an undertaking than you think.

You don't want to paint darker because darker paint will get hotter, and will then either warp the vinyl (which I've seen all over the place, especially in AL) or cause the paint to flake off - and that's where an inspector or an appraiser will get you. Flaking paint is a big no-no, specifically with an FHA appraisal.

Painting vinyl requires a specific type of paint with specific ingredients meant to adhere to the vinyl and move with the expansion and contraction.  best to run down to a paint store and talk with a pro.  I wouldn't go to home depot or lowes for something that specific.

I'm sure you're trying to keep costs down, but you may want to bid out a full replacement vs. the paint.  Again, this is a pretty big job and it might not be an enormous difference in cost just to put all new siding on.

Thank you!  I will go by our Sherwin Williams store here. 

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

Use Vinylsafe by Sherwin-Williams and communicate that the house was freshly painted with paint specially formulated for Vinyl. 

Are you sure you need to paint it though? My parents house is canary yellow vinyl and I can't stand the way it looks. I hate it, but they love it. My point is maybe it is not necessary to paint if the siding is in good condition. Maybe it just needs to be washed with a vinyl rejuvenation cleaner versus painted.

I would post a picture here on BP and get some opinions.

Originally posted by @Belinda R. :

I’ve received several different responses when I’ve asked contractors. Some say yes and others say no. When I researched it, I found that if it’s painted, it can’t be painted any color darker than the existing vinyl color in order to avoid warping. The current color is like a canary yellow. 

Any professional painters out there? If so, I need a recommended paint brand and vinyl prepping steps if this can be done. I don’t want to get dinged by an inspector or appraiser due to painting the vinyl. Thanks. 

I would never paint it if I was doing a flip.  Your buyer may love yellow

The house next to my parents has approx 50 hard wood trees.  30 to 50’ tall in the front yard. 

The house was sold and the new buyer immediately had the trees cut down and stumps removed at great expense. 10 or so years later the house was sold. 

The new owners immediately planted well over 50 maple trees to block the across the street neighbor from ‘spying’ on them. 

15 or so more years later it was sold again and . . . Yep you guessed it the new owners had the trees cut down and all roots removed.   

My parents have long since passed away.  I drove by the house last year and sure enough there are now 50 or so new sapling in the front yard. 

So again I would never paint the yellow vinyl siding for a flip for fear of potentially causing very expensive problems and for no reason 

I looked into the Sherwin-Williams system some years back when I considered it for my own house, which has siding in overall good condition but some areas that are really scratched up and a western exposure that's pretty faded. Bottom line is that first, you have to go lighter, second you have significant prep work, and third if you do some searches you'll read lots of people that wish they had not done it. At the end of the day I decided against it. One of the best features about vinyl is not having to repaint; otherwise, you might just as well have Hardiboard or similar. This would eliminate that benefit, give it the added risk of warping, cracking & peeling, and add more maintenance. 

If the siding is in good shape forget it - work with what you have. 

Aluminum siding is a breeze to paint.  Too bad vinyl isn't.  I've never tried it, but I'll take what's been said here as a firm warning.  Maybe a better paint formula will eventually be developed.

If you do decide to paint it, you'll want to have it done on a very warm day so that the vinyl siding has expanded along it's length.  I once painted a house with vinyl siding during the Spring, only to find little vertical lines at every seam when the vinyl got hot in the summer and expanded.  Looked like crap.

I would either leave it alone or replace it. The main reason people install vinyl is so they don't have to paint it. If you paint it, it will need to be painted again, and forever, and that assumes it can even be painted. Also, the cost to paint aint cheap, and you might be half-way to the cost of replacement by the time you're done.