BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
Hey All -
We wanted to tease you with an awesome new feature that is coming soon to BiggerPockets -- our LIVE CHAT! In addition to the forums, blogs and private messaging system, members will be able to jump in on a live chat with their colleagues.
We know this will help you better engage with current and new connections and look forward to the impending launch!
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
11y
Hey @Joshua D. can we block or ignore certain users? @Ben Leybovich already stalks me on the phone and I can't imagine the torture of his ugly mug popping up on my screen every 30 seconds...not to mention that it might make @Brandon Turner jealous. LOL. :) Or maybe you could add "chat forwarding" so that when Ben pings me I can set it to go to Brandon instead.
Cool new feature, by the way. Love the constant innovation...well done.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
11y
Josh is this a Skype type thing with video or more a private instant messenger type thing like on Facebook??
It would be cool to instantly video chat with someone on BP with the click of a button.
If it's text only then likely I would just talk to people over the phone as I can share 10 times the info in 30 minutes over a phone call then typing out. I guess if you are one of those speed typing types then you could handle 5 conversations at once.
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y
@Joel Owens - For starters it is just a IM client. Depending on adoption, we may consider video. While you may prefer the phone, many people go from BP to skype or FB to chat -- why not keep them here to do it?
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
11y
I think for the majority of users the basic chat will work as they are talking about basic concepts.
For me people start asking about commercial real estate and it gets really technical. To type that out would take an enormous amount of time due to length.
My situation is more unusual. I agree if you can integrate another user friendly feature where you make the site an "all in one stop" for real estate then it incubates users from going multiple places and increases the value of your site.
Rehabber · Niantic, CT · Member since 2012 · 443 posts · 150 votes
11y
Extremely cool. And @Account Closed took the words out of my mouth, er, hands ... I may never get out of here. Oh right, that's the point.
And count me as one who actually prefers messaging to video or phone (whenever I can get away with it). But I am indeed a speedy typist. :) Looking forward to this feature!
Principal · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 200 posts · 89 votes
11y
that is awesome @Joshua D. and the experience here is already great... this will just further enhance the experience and create a platform for users to interact.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y
YAY!!! @Joshua D. I love it! This is something I have wanted to see for so long! Sometimes people need "real time" help and their posts can get lost in the shuffle.
Then right after you get that going, are you starting a BP Addicts Support Group? I'll head it up!
Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
It is great that you are adding to the capability of the site. If there is not a way to disable the chat, please consider adding that feature. I often like to have BP up in the background. If there is a chat box pinging frequently (not that I expect I would be contacted very often) it would be distracting when I am working on other things. I would be more likely to close the BP window if the chat could not be disabled.
Are you taking the approach of Web Chat Client that is XMPP compatible {a back-end XMPP server}? If so, will you allow folks to connect with their own chat clients?