Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Why We Moderate the Forums and How We Edit Posts (when we do edit them)

Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Posted Jan 28 2009, 02:41

I wanted to share a little bit about our moderation policies, in case there is some confusion.

The BiggerPockets Forum was established so people can have a platform to communicate with one another about real estate topics. When I first started the forum, I noticed that some people see a forum as an opportunity to get free publicity for themselves without giving anything back to the community. Once I witnessed this trend, I decided that it was important to establish a strict set of guidelines or rules with which the forums would be run.

Many forums out there are nothing but free-for-alls. People come and go, but most folks are there for one reason - to get their link out. This typically leads to a forum where nothing really gets done.

All of our rules have been established in concert with the consultation of other, SUCCESSFUL forum moderators and admins.

When and Why We Edit Posts
We NEVER just edit a post because we want to. We believe in the free flow of information, but we ask that our members RESPECT our rules.

We know that in many times, people join our forum having had some experience on what we'd call the "free-for all" forums, where anything goes. This usually ends up in a "culture shock" mentality - where suddely BiggerPockets is the bad guy because we don't allow what everyone else does. They post solicitations, promotional links in posts, SPAM, multiple posts of the same exact message, etc.

Some of these people do it because they are not yet familiar with our policies, and others do it because they think they can slip something past our moderators and admins.

Whatever the reason, we will edit any posts that do not follow our rules. We NEVER add to people's posts, just remove either entire posts, or segments of posts that pose a problem. Typically, when we remove something it is either because it is a solicitation in a forum where solicitations aren't welcome, or because someone is posting their contact information in a post.

People ask why we don't allow contact info in posts. The reason is that by posting your info in a post, that information is now available to anyone; this policy exists to try to protect the safety of our membership. When the information is posted in your signature, only members of BiggerPockets can see it. While this doesn't protect you completely from seedy people, it does limit the pool of potential baddies and spammers.

Back to the complaints about editing . . . some people complain that we're too strict (and I've heard a LOT worse), but in the end, the final result speaks for itself.

The BiggerPockets Forum is the top real estate and real estate investing forum online because of our members. Our contributors give of themselves because they love real estate. Our members don't have to worry that they are going to be harassed by SPAMMERS, or sneaky sales pitches. When people come to the site and try to manipulate others, our members jump on them and call them out.

We've helped countless people with their real estate questions, seen people make successful connections and deals, and have given people the opportunity to market themselves and their businesses over the 4+ years we've been running this forum.

Wrapping it Up
I thought it was important to let you all know a little background behind how and why we do things here on the forum. We're here to make sure that you, our members, have a safe place to do your thing, and I just wanted to thank you all for your participation.

Regards,
Joshua Dorkin
BiggerPockets.com

Loading replies...