A Hero's Home - Giving Back

62 Replies

Fellow BP’ers,

Five of us long-time active BP’ers, @Jay Hinrichs , @Chris Clothier, attorney @Tom Gimer  , and CPA @Brandon Hall  and I have come together to change the life of someone that has sacrificed so much to defend our freedom and our lives. We think that many other BP members have the same desire to give back to a deserving family, so please read this and feel free to pass along the information.

In my former life before going full time into real estate investing, I worked in law enforcement and as a firefighter/EMT and my wife is a nurse at our local trauma center—so this cause is near and dear to me.

When Jay came to me with this idea, I was onboard in less than two seconds.

For many of us, BiggerPockets has become a way for us to connect, share, advise, seek advice and grow as investors and business persons in general. It is a rewarding online forum and led many of us to successful investment opportunities, joint-ventures with other like-minded investors, opportunities to lend and borrow, purchase, sell and even rent properties.

To put it lightly, we have all been blessed to have BiggerPockets available to boost our careers. And now we want to give back in a very meaningful way.

To do this, we have created A Hero's Home, Inc. The organization has been formed and is in the process of applying for 501(c)(3) status with the sole purpose of providing a home free and clear for a deserving member of the United States Military, local law enforcement, fire or EMS. These first responders and their families are heroes and make enormous sacrifices to help our country and our communities.

The first opportunity to give a home away will be in Memphis, TN where a single-family home has been purchased, renovated and inspected in preparation for being given to a local hero. Each dollar will go directly toward providing a beautiful, fully renovated, and completely debt-free home to a deserving hero. The Board Members have generously donated their time and effort and the first $10,000 to this cause, so we are well on our way to reaching the Memphis goal of $125,000.

Our intention is to move this program throughout the country. Thanks for reading and please visit A Hero's Home for more information!

To all BP members we are excited to bring this awesome charitable enterprise to all our friends and Colleague's on BP .

@Chris Clothier has picked out an awesome home to be our first of many ( hopefully) homes we give away to deserving veterans and first responders.. As we progress we will be posting pictures of the home as well.. and announcing our next markets for our next home giveaway.

I want to also reiterate that 100% of our efforts is donated and all houses will go into the program as absolute cost. 

We want to show the real estate community that all of us that get value and support from BP are here to give back to our communities in this small but very meaningful way.. 

Hey there BP'er's,

On the forums and podcasts we frequently discuss finding our WHY and the importance of giving back... I can think of no better way on July 4th than donating to a cause aimed at helping those that make great sacrifices on our behalf...especially one focused around REAL ESTATE!!!

This is a wonderful organization formed by some of the most respected members of the Bigger Pockets community, let's put down our hot dogs & beers for 5 minutes and rally to show our support.

Please bump this thread and spread the word...Happy July 4th everyone :)

@Rachel Bier   thank you Rachel  … We are so proud to launch this .. and we are sure hoping all of us who have made Real estate our lifes calling will jump in here and help some of our Hero's with a new home that they can live in and also understand that the real estate community CARES about our Service men and first responders.. 

Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios :

That's awesome Brian! We definitely want to do some things like this in the near term future.

Andrew I have given many homes away through out my career..  Mainly to habitat.. and then 2 years ago one to a BP member.

But I wanted to create something that was a little different....  and this is the results.. I was very pleased when I ran this by our team in December that it was an instant for sure we would love to.. And what better place to start with one of the top home providers in the country .. 

I for one as I come into the twilight of a long RE career with the ups and downs and just so honored that these gentlemen have worked tirelessly to put this together..  

On behalf of the Memphis Invest family, we are so honored to be a part A Hero's Home.  When @Jay Hinrichs first approached me about this project, we wanted to play a role as founding partners and providing the first home in Memphis was an absolute no-brainer for our team.

Along with my partners Brett Clothier and Kent Clothier, Sr., we were excited to find a way to not only honor service members and first responders, but specifically to honor the members of our team who volunteered to serve in our armed forces and the many who have fought for our freedom.  We have active members of the military working in our company today along with a graduate of West Point, former members of two military branches and several former team members who have served in both the military and as first responders.

We also have countless numbers of clients who serve in the military and as first responders as we speak as well as service providers who work with our company who are veterans.  Probably the most important persons in our family are our residents.  Everything we do and all of our success as a company relies on our residents happiness.  

So many of our 5,000 homes are occupied by residents who currently serve in the military or as first-responders.  No matter where we look, there are active military members, veterans of our military and first responders that directly benefit our way of life, our happiness and our success as a company.

I hope everyone reading these messages today from the founding members of A Hero's Home will take a moment to consider supporting this worthy cause.  A home - not just a house with four walls - but a home, fully renovated to retail standards, inspected, appraised and then given at no expense to a very deserving veteran or first responder.

Keep an eye on the website and even here at BiggerPockets for updates.  I want to give a big shout out to Jay, @Brian Burke , attorney @Tom Gimer , and CPA @Brandon Hall, each of whom have put in a lot of work behind the scenes to make sure this organization got off the ground as Jay originally envisioned.  They have all put in a ton of effort on this project.  All I had to do was pick a great house!

Real estate investing in general and BiggerPockets specifically have been so good for each of us individually and to our companies, that putting together an opportunity for everyone to participate together as a community seemed very logical and timely for those of us who have been in the community for so long.  As Jay noted, we hope that this is so successful that we can bring the same opportunities to cities like Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, St. Louis and the many other fantastic investment cities across the country!

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

I forgot to say thank you to @Joshua Dorkin , @Mindy Jensen , @Brandon Turner , @Scott Trench @Allison Leung and the entire BP team - getting too big for me to remember everyone (so I'm sorry for leaving anyone off).

BiggerPockets was the brainchild of Josh and because of his efforts and belief, this community is amazing.  It is strong, growing, thriving and full of a spirit of giving.  

So thank you to the entire BP team for building a community where something like this can be born out of the relationships that we've built!

What a blessing you guys are!!  My first husband was reported MIA in Vietnam in 1969, and was missing until the war ended in 1973, at which time their helicopter along with their remains were located and  returned home to American soil. I can't tell you what a relief that was. I know all too well the cost of freedom. I also know that there are so many of our Veterans that have endured so much hardship, and lost so much. Many struggle every day to survive, while trying to raise families. Something like this is truly a life changing event for someone. Thank you on behalf of all of us on BP that aren't in the position  to donate at this time, but are so proud to be associated with all of you that do!!  God bless you. <3 

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

What a blessing you guys are!!  My first husband was reported MIA in Vietnam in 1969, and was missing until the war ended in 1973, at which time their helicopter along with their remains were located and  returned home to American soil. I can't tell you what a relief that was. I know all too well the cost of freedom. I also know that there are so many of our Veterans that have endured so much hardship, and lost so much. Many struggle every day to survive, while trying to raise families. Something like this is truly a life changing event for someone. Thank you on behalf of all of us on BP that aren't in the position  to donate at this time, but are so proud to be associated with all of you that do!!  God bless you. <3 

Thank you Karen this will be most of my pursuits on BP from here on out.. after 20 some thousands posts its time to focus on this mission we are on.. 

as an aside I was fishing in BC in May and one of the guests at the lodge I was at  was at least according to his brother the longest held POW in Vietnam war.. at 7 years.. it was an honor to meet him.  And to see the joy a nice day of fishing brought him. 

@Jay Hinrichs   It was terrible what the POWs had to endure. I was young at the time, and my Army advisor would call and tell me he needed to come over, and that nobody else was allowed to be there. He would bring binders that had photos that had been smuggled out of Hanoi, Cambodia, etc. of POW's to see if I recognized anyone.  Many of them were in such terrible condition, with wounds left untreated, broken bones that weren't set, etc. They truly are heros, and todays veterans have had to make multiple deployments and so many have lost multiple limbs. I'd love to particpate on helping them someday. In Redding, CA there is an 11 year old boy, Preston Sharp, that started putting flags on all the Veterans graves. He got media attention, went to the White House (actually the State of the Union as Melania Trumps guest) and is still traveling the country, going to every state to get people to help him place flags and flowers on the graves of Veterans. It's the little things that count! 

Wow Brian, Chris, Jay , Bp that is really thoughtful of you guys/gals. Lately, I have been recently involved in a couple crypto currency launches that also donate funds to various charities, Wounded Warriors, the water project etc,. If you can, goto coinbase and set up the donation crypto for bitcoin, ethereum...and I can link this to a project in the future for sure. Good luck! 

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

@Jay Hinrichs  It was terrible what the POWs had to endure. I was young at the time, and my Army advisor would call and tell me he needed to come over, and that nobody else was allowed to be there. He would bring binders that had photos that had been smuggled out of Hanoi, Cambodia, etc. of POW's to see if I recognized anyone.  Many of them were in such terrible condition, with wounds left untreated, broken bones that weren't set, etc. They truly are heros, and todays veterans have had to make multiple deployments and so many have lost multiple limbs. I'd love to particpate on helping them someday. In Redding, CA there is an 11 year old boy, Preston Sharp, that started putting flags on all the Veterans graves. He got media attention, went to the White House (actually the State of the Union as Melania Trumps guest) and is still traveling the country, going to every state to get people to help him place flags and flowers on the graves of Veterans. It's the little things that count! 

Just spread the word for us Karen that's all we can ask.. I have faith the BP members will rally to this great cause..  

Originally posted by @Matt R. :

Wow Brian, Chris, Jay , Bp that is really thoughtful of you guys/gals. Lately, I have been recently involved in a couple crypto currency launches that also donate funds to various charities, Wounded Warriors, the water project etc,. If you can, goto coinbase and set up the donation crypto for bitcoin, ethereum...and I can link this to a project in the future for sure. Good luck!

I will run this up the flag pole.. thanks Matt  appreciate your kind words and comments..

I'm just honored that I was invited to participate in such a worthy cause... so thank you, @Jay Hinrichs for giving me the chance to contribute in some way to your vision and thanks to the rest of the team for all your hard work in getting this going.

We did our best to launch this on Memorial Day but man is it tough to create a legitimate charity! 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Matt R.:

I will run this up the flag pole.. thanks Matt  appreciate your kind words and comments..

Cool Jay, I have nothing to do with coinbase and they are the gateway for that stuff. I love your approach here though, seeing the physical product and difference in another families life is a great thing that BP and the community can do to help. I mean half the country is still struggling no doubt. Good luck! 

two of my friends from college were the first 2 people from Hawaii who bought from Memphis Invest in the late 2000s

I bought 5 units in the summer of 2012, and several of our friends and family have also purchased

chris and the clothier family are stand-up individuals and businessmen

this is another example of what they do for the communities they serve

I am proud to say that I am part of the Memphis Invest Family, although just a small part 

I had the privilege of meeting jay Hinrichs when he was visiting Oahu a couple of months ago

and he is exactly as he is on the forums, knowledgeable and experienced, and a great communicator

unfortunately, I have not gotten to meet the other organizers, but I hope to at some point

it is acts like the formation of this charity that truly show the strength and value of online communities

back in the day, I was moderator of a model-specific car forum, where the motto was "it's the people!" and this applies here too

I hope everyone on BP has a great 4th of July holiday

'muricah!

aloha

steve

Originally posted by @Steve K. :

two of my friends from college were the first 2 people from Hawaii who bought from Memphis Invest in the late 2000s

I bought 5 units in the summer of 2012, and several of our friends and family have also purchased

chris and the clothier family are stand-up individuals and businessmen

this is another example of what they do for the communities they serve

I am proud to say that I am part of the Memphis Invest Family, although just a small part 

I had the privilege of meeting jay Hinrichs when he was visiting Oahu a couple of months ago

and he is exactly as he is on the forums, knowledgeable and experienced, and a great communicator

unfortunately, I have not gotten to meet the other organizers, but I hope to at some point

it is acts like the formation of this charity that truly show the strength and value of online communities

back in the day, I was moderator of a model-specific car forum, where the motto was "it's the people!" and this applies here too

I hope everyone on BP has a great 4th of July holiday

'muricah!

aloha

steve

Well said. These are the more oustanding cats one normally comes across. They are out there still. 

Super pumped to be part of the team. It’s a cause I can easily connect with as military runs in my family. When Jay asked if I wanted to be on the team, I was more than happy to have our firm, The Real Estate CPA, dedicate resources to handle A Hero’s Home Inc’s tax and financial matters.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us so far. The community response is exceeding our expectations!

Originally posted by @Brandon Hall :

Super pumped to be part of the team. It’s a cause I can easily connect with as military runs in my family. When Jay asked if I wanted to be on the team, I was more than happy to have our firm, The Real Estate CPA, dedicate resources to handle A Hero’s Home Inc’s tax and financial matters.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us so far. The community response is exceeding our expectations!

Nice,  I forgot to read that Brandon the RE accountant is involved. The irr is in place, good families get good help simple as that. 

Curious to know what part of town the home is in for $125k?  Also wondering if that dollar amount has built in profit for the company who purchased it and doing the work or if the $125k it truly purchase and all rehab?  sounds like a great project! 

It’s been said that there are two kinds of people in this world. Takers and givers. Takers may eat better, but givers sleep better.

Nice job all around guys. It helps each of us to remember that we should all be using our professional and personal strengths to make this world a better place.

Originally posted by @Curt Davis :

Curious to know what part of town the home is in for $125k?  Also wondering if that dollar amount has built in profit for the company who purchased it and doing the work or if the $125k it truly purchase and all rehab?  sounds like a great project! 

What? no seriously do you think BP and company are thinking profits? I must have misread your post. 

Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

What? no seriously do you think BP and company are thinking profits? I must have misread your post. 

All good Matt.  I'm quite sure Curt was not questioning our motives.  He knows us personally and knows our commitment to excellence in all we do. He is asking a great question that I am sure everyone on BP wants to know before they support such a cause with any monetary contribution.

All of the companies and individuals who started A Hero's Home agreed to do so for no profit.  Everyone is donating their time, talent and treasure to the cause.  For us that means, simply delivering a house at cost.

We felt we could deliver a very high quality home in the Cordova, Bartlett or Southeast Memphis (38125 zip code) all in for $125,000.  That is an arbitrary number for now and theoretically it could end up being lower, but most likely our all in cost will be higher.  If our all in is a little higher, then so be it, we will donate a little more!  Bottom line, none of us is profiting from the services or products we are providing.  

Since we have over 50 Turnkey projects going at any given time in Memphis, timing and which house we pick will all depend on when the organization is actually ready to make the purchase and give the home away.  All of those projects will not fit into these parameters, but whatever home we give away, we would like to do it in a quality area of town and have the organization pay at or below value for the property but not one dollar over our all-in cost.  We will simply pull a house from our inventory and forgo any profit on the deal so that A Hero's Home can give away a high-quality property to a deserving individual or family.

Our commitment was to deliver the home at cost including buying, renovating (including all permits required as we always do), inspecting, addressing any inspection issues and obtaining an appraisal showing value for the new owner.   

All of the work will be documented with a Scope of Work and the cost of the home plus renovation costs will be transparent.  Whatever the final tally is after the work, inspection and appraisal, that is the price that the organization will pay unless it goes over our agreed price in which case, we will simply give a little more.

The individuals in this organization are salt of the earth, top-notch in their industries and have their hearts and motives in the right place.  Again, it is such an honor to a part of this organization.  I am positive that all of us involved and anyone supporting the cause will be overjoyed with the property being given away.

Just looking for more information that’s all.   

Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here