Newark, NJ Temporary Certificate of Occupancy

5 Replies

I currently have an accepted offer for an investor client on a house in Newark. Needs a total renovation, not habitable. The city requires the seller to pay for and setup the certificate of occupancy inspection. The inspection was done about 2 weeks ago. The listing agent now says they have to schedule a hearing to obtain the temporary certificate of occupancy. Any of the Newark investors now how long this process usually takes? We are anxious to close, renovate, and get the house back on the market but the process is dragging on.

Kevin Hill, Real Estate Agent in NJ (#0894817)
201-214-1349

Welcome to 'Nightmare City' when it comes to Newark CO's. I was just reminded of this when I easily applied for a CO for an Investor buddy of mines in Roselle. Easy, simple and straight forward. And he didn't even have to be there. NOT Newark. The hearing (a complete waste of tax payer money imo) usually takes a week or less to schedule and do. Afterwards it will be 3-4 more days for when you can actually pick up the CO. You may be able to close before then but I wouldn't. Not sure why you haven't been scheduled for a hearing yet unless you failed to go down right after the inspection and follow up (Inspector should have to told you this in case you didn't know).

Newark is a stickler for detail. So make sure you have every 'I' dotted and 'T' crossed (if you are the listing agent that means that you need a drivers license, copy of the listing agreement and perhaps a notarized letter from the seller).

I'm surprised that with a complete rehab needed, you didn't have the buyer be responsible for the CO. Also the buyer will need architectural drawings in order to get permits. But that's after the sale and likely not your concern. Just an fyi.

I am representing the buyer on this one Ibrahim. I was surprised too about us not being responsible for obtaining the CO. However, the Newark Building Department insisted it is the seller's responsibility, even if it is a foreclosure listing. The listing agent wasn't aware of Newark's policies, so I had to inform him. He told me he is waiting for Newark to schedule the hearing.

My buyer did have to clean up the backyard of all debris including a mattress, used baby diapers, and syringes for the CO inspection!

Thanks for the info!

Kevin Hill, Real Estate Agent in NJ (#0894817)
201-214-1349
Originally posted by @Kevin Hill :

My buyer did have to clean up the backyard of all debris including a mattress, used baby diapers, and syringes for the CO inspection!

Thanks for the info!

I have to imagine that the city misses out on getting rid of numerous abandoned properties due to this rule. Smh.

I  purchased a house through an auction and the current tenant is not responsive, therefore unable to get a CO. He is not returning anyones call.  Any suggestions how to move forward. Can i still close without the CO?

I am not sure of newark, but typically a c.o. can not stop a closing. If it is a financed deal then most lenders require it. As far as tennett being unresponsive, that shouldnt matter, 24 hour notice and you can enter the property with the inspector.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.