First primary residence/investment property purchase question

4 Replies

Hi Everyone!

Iam currently looking at purchasing my first primary residence that is a 2 family with a 1 bedroom rental.

Seller and myself are going back and forth on the purchase price. The property is in Staten Island New York and will be financed through FHA. Purchase price 430K ( rent for 1 bedroom estimated at 1100 and for 3 bed 1.5 upstairs should go for around 2300 once we move out and rent the entire house. I am trying to run the numbers and I was wondering if its worth It to roll the closing costs into the mortgage instead of out of pocket? Is that a worthwhile strategy for a buy and? hold that will be refinanced in about 5 years. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

I think that its all about your current cash position and your return on investment.  It's a personal choice however I would say in most cases my opinion its best to cover the closing costs and not finance them.   That's my opinion.  

@Darren Sager is right, it is all about your current cash positon and ROI. If you are good on both and feel comfortbale with where you are at, I would tell you to roll them in and have your tenants pay the difference.....

Igor,  I myself am looking for a 2 family deal as well.  My plan is include the closing cost and factor that into my payments.  Hopefully the rental income i plan to collect will cover my payment with positive cash flow.

Good luck!!

@Igor Z.  - Typcially it depends on what you are trying to get out of it. I am assuming you are looking to rent this property and build a cash flow. Now lets look at the numbers

Purchase Price - 430,000

Down Payment - 15,000

Closing Costs - ??

Rental Income - 40,800/year (assuming 3400/month)

Expenses (50%) Rule - 20,400

Mortgage Costs - ??

If you fill the motgage payments and closing costs, you would be able to calculate COCR/year and then make a decision if it is worth investing. And then the decision is completely is up to you, because what may work for you may not work for someone else.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide