Second home

4 Replies

What would you guys do? I own my personal home in Fort Worth, travel to houston 4 days of the week. I am currently in due diligence with my first rental property in Houston, close in October hopefully. Would one consider buying another rental in Houston or a small multi family in Houston as a second home and renting the other unit(s) out.

I don't see why not.  If you buy right, and it cash flows even with one unrented unit, then its just like any other investment property.  If you no longer need the extra unit for yourself then you've got yourself one more rentable unit.  Don't overpay or overlook your numbers just because its for personal use.

Originally posted by @Tim Bishop:

I don't see why not.  If you buy right, and it cash flows even with one unrented unit, then its just like any other investment property.  If you no longer need the extra unit for yourself then you've got yourself one more rentable unit.  Don't overpay or overlook your numbers just because its for personal use.

He provides a valid point!

Give us your concerns in terms of NOT buying more first.

Hi @Todd Davis  ,

I agree with Tim. If you can afford to buy another one, then do it. Like he said if you don't need it later on then you have yourself another rental. 

What areas are you looking in? There are always awesome deals here in Houston.

Good luck,

Andres J.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide