Renewed my RE License

4 Replies

Just renewed my RE License in CA.
Getting ready to buy my 2nd investment property soon.
Want to know if anyone else uses their License to buy as an investor.
I didn't use my license for the 1st property.

I don't want to be an agent.
Just use my license as in investor to save on commission.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm a broker and buy all my properties through my license unless it's another REO agent has the deal and I like him/her. At that time I generally buy and sell through them since they brought me the deal. Sometimes you have to pay to recieve. Although you might be saving some on commission, you might not always get to the deal because the listing agent would rather let another buyer who they can get business from get it. Just a thought! :-)

@Jamie Garcia I use my license as an investor for a laundry list of what I see as advantages.  The commission savings is a small factor, but I like having the option to use it for negotiation where others can't or won't.  Can you imagine a scenario where, (with your broker's approval) you waive the buyer's agent commission as a part of your negotiation to buy a property?

More than any other advantage, I call my license my "key to the city!"  I have access on my schedule (for the most part) to any listed property!

With MLS access, I can analyze a property/location, again, on my schedule. If I search for comps and get odd results, I can immediately adjust my parameters to search from different perspectives without any delays or back and forth if somebody else did it for me.

I could go on, but there are lots of threads here that go over all of the advantages.  Congratulations and best of luck in 2015!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.