5% down or wait for close to 20% down on first property

9 Replies

Hey all your smart people you.

Question on best ideas for my down payment on a mortgage. I am researching to get my first property. I qualify for 5% down and I almost have enough money to do that. Here is the dilemma. I understand if I wait until I have 20% down for a property I will avoid PMI, lower my mortgage payments, etc. I also understand if I get a property at 5% down I can lower my living expenses (no more rent since I'll move into the property and I will have renters in rooms to spread out the cost of the mortgage), get into a property that much faster, and get started on my dream of getting into buy and hold properties.

My question is, what in your experience would be the more beneficial idea: buy my property really soon at 5% or wait until I can pretty much pay the 20% down?

I have never purchased a property with a required down payment.  I have always had access to funds at 100% of the purchase price including repairs.  Who is your lender?

Originally posted by @Rob Caldwell :

I have never purchased a property with a required down payment.  I have always had access to funds at 100% of the purchase price including repairs.  Who is your lender?

Sorry, I wasn't explicit in my lending method. This will be my first property ever and I'm just going to go through a local, owner occupied bank mortgage provider that requires at least 5% cash down payment if you have the right credit. This would be for a rental property that I would live in for about a year where I'm renting out the rooms as well.

This is one of those highly debatable questions. I personally like to put as little down as possible. Than my tenants are paying off my mortgage and I am not having to do a refinance. 

Buy with 5% down.

Conventional resi bank financing is the cheapest money around. I would use as much of it as possible.

Originally posted by @James Wise :

Buy with 5% down.

Conventional resi bank financing is the cheapest money around. I would use as much of it as possible.

No doubt, I love the interest rates I was pre-approved at. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

This is one of those highly debatable questions. I personally like to put as little down as possible. Than my tenants are paying off my mortgage and I am not having to do a refinance. 

You do get into that whole idea of putting your money to use instead of just sitting in a bank account, waiting for it to hit 20%. Thanks!

I would go ahead at the 5% especially since you will getting help to pay the mortgage.

my advise is to go with the 20% route. with that being said, dont pull the trigger on buying a house until you have 25% saved.the extra 5% will come in handy for cosmetic upgrades that are inevitable and also for unexpected repairs/upgrades.

I bought my first property this past summer and went with the 20% down payment which wiped out my whole savings. as luck would have it, my water heater broke down 2 weeks after purchasing the home and i had to borrow money from my brother. in addition, to paint the whole house, add blinds, new locks, new windows was a lot more then I planned for. Luckily my management company found tenants immediately after they put the house for rent so I made more then enough money to break even after a few months

5%, then put the other 15% towards the next property.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here