This deal...

5 Replies

Alright, so i realize there may be some risk putting this up here if it really is a steal because someone will swipe it up. But - lesson learned is lesson learned.

Let me show you this deal here

I want to put 20% down get a loan for 160K - mortgage about $757 in the area, and a tenant history of $750 bottom floor $850 so $1600 a month 50% rule says $800 a month. only a $43 dollar profit. Not even close to the $100 - $200 a month that comes from a good deal. 

The real estate agent said this was a killer deal... but I'm thinking $43 dollars a month is a little low...

Am I missing anything 

(just trying to get this first deal happening!) 

@Jordan Burke  

Sit this one out partner. $43/monthly isn't worth your time especially if you have a big blow for insurance purposes or an expensive repair. There are plenty of markets that allow for $100+ cash flow monthly. My personal goal is to have each door I own raking in $100/CF monthly -- if not, on to the next.

Hope that helps

@Evan Manship  yeah, thats my thought. The funny part is the real estate gal told me " This is killer get on it!" It felt like I was missing something... but I'm not right? 

Yeah pass for sure.  Your agent was just trying to make a sale or has no idea how to analyze investments.

@Jordan Burke   I personally would not take this deal and here's why (figures per year):
Purchase Price: $160,085.70
20% Down Payment: $32,017.14
APR: 5%
Revenues
Rental Income: $19,200.00
10% Vacancy: -$1,920.00
Gross Income: $17,280.00
Expenses
Property Taxes: -$853.00
Insurance: -$500.00 (guess)
10% Maintenance & Repairs: -$1,920.00
10% Capital Expenditure: -$1,920.00
10% Property Mgmt: -$1,920.00
Total Expenses: -$7,113.00
NOI: $10,167.00
Mortgage (P&I only): $8,250.00
Cashflow: $1,917.00
Cash on Cash Return: 4.79%
Cashflow  per door per month: $80

You're only making ~1900 a year for a Cash return of 5%. You could probably sink your down payment into the stock market and do just as well or slightly better. This is not a horrible deal but I think you can do better.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you