Sending Listing Agents Q's through Zillow

Sending Listing Agents Q's through Zillow

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 229 posts · 50 votes

As I'm searching for another 2-4 MF in Cincinnati, I typically utilize all the free sources which I'm assuming most people do.  Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, etc.  I also work with an agent, but I am not currently actively working with him since I'm not in a huge rush to buy the next place.

However, when I see a place pop up on Zillow, I want to send a direct message to the listing agent and ask them various questions about the place... How many units are there?  What is rent?  Why did the sale go pending and then not close?  Is the seller willing to go as low as $XXX,XXX.XX ?

Do you guys think this is bad practice and would cause bad blood with my current realtor?  I want to ask a ton of questions to realtors, but don't want to ruin my relationship with my current realtor.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

When you send an email through Zillow it is not going to the listing agent. That email is sold off as a lead to a brokerage who forwards the emails to one of their own agents, who will have no information about the property other than what is in the MLS.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    When you send an email through Zillow it is not going to the listing agent. That email is sold off as a lead to a brokerage who forwards the emails to one of their own agents, who will have no information about the property other than what is in the MLS.

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y

    What @Russell Brazil said. And yes, I believe it will cause some ruffles with your current Realtor because those are questions you can ask him/her and allow them to get the answers for you. Otherwise, what did you hire them for if you won't allow them to research those questions and help you with the purchase?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 229 posts · 50 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    When you send an email through Zillow it is not going to the listing agent. That email is sold off as a lead to a brokerage who forwards the emails to one of their own agents, who will have no information about the property other than what is in the MLS.

     Nice!  I had no idea Russel, that's a sweet business model for Zillow though.

    So basically, the only real way to get true information would be to send an email to my agent, then he contacts the listing agent, then listing agent contacts my agent, then my agent contacts me...  Seems super inefficient.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Max James:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    When you send an email through Zillow it is not going to the listing agent. That email is sold off as a lead to a brokerage who forwards the emails to one of their own agents, who will have no information about the property other than what is in the MLS.

     Nice!  I had no idea Russel, that's a sweet business model for Zillow though.

    So basically, the only real way to get true information would be to send an email to my agent, then he contacts the listing agent, then listing agent contacts my agent, then my agent contacts me...  Seems super inefficient.

     Another consideration is most listing agents will not reply to someone who is not an agent.  Unless it is a property I have a hard time moving, I wont really respond to inquiries from nonagents.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 229 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    Awesome info, I did not know that. Just feel like I am bothering my agent way too much with simple questions like this. Would be easier if I could leave him alone for minor things every now and then.

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Max James:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    When you send an email through Zillow it is not going to the listing agent. That email is sold off as a lead to a brokerage who forwards the emails to one of their own agents, who will have no information about the property other than what is in the MLS.

     Nice!  I had no idea Russel, that's a sweet business model for Zillow though.

    So basically, the only real way to get true information would be to send an email to my agent, then he contacts the listing agent, then listing agent contacts my agent, then my agent contacts me...  Seems super inefficient.

     That is the point of hiring a real estate agent. Otherwise, all buyers and sellers would do the transactions themselves. If you just think of asking your agent and your agent getting back to you with an answer, that seems  pretty convenient for you.

  • Investor · Lebanon, OH · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 26 votes
    10y
    Russell Brazil - you won't respond to non-agents? Why? What if the person reaching out is a potential new client without agent representation? Even if they are represented by another agent - wouldn't you want to get as much exposure as possible on your listing? I don't understand this train of thought nor would I ever hire an agent to sell my property that would only interact with other agents. Seems like a great disservice to the sellers.
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Merry Briotta:

    Russell Brazil - you won't respond to non-agents? Why? What if the person reaching out is a potential new client without agent representation? Even if they are represented by another agent - wouldn't you want to get as much exposure as possible on your listing?

    I don't understand this train of thought nor would I ever hire an agent to sell my property that would only interact with other agents. Seems like a great disservice to the sellers.

     There is no benefit to me nor my client in responding to nonagents. I can not write a contract on behalf of someone reaching out to me (dual agency is illegal in MD). If they do not have an agent already, then they are not a serious buyer....and I'm typically going to get about 3 offers on each of my listings, so I do not need a non serious buyer muddying the process. The buyer with no agent will have no means to prove to me that they can qualify to buy the property, as they haven't had an agent to get them through the prelimanary process of buying a home.

  • Investor · Lebanon, OH · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 26 votes
    10y
    Max James - I do things very similar. I have an agent that I leverage for all transactions. However, I often have a lot of questions on properties that may or may not result in an offer (or even further research for that matter). I frequently reach out to the listing agents with simple, easy to answer questions. I don't typically ever discuss anything that would fall into the realm of negotiation. My agent knows I do this and has never had any concerns. I share with him the info I get from the listing agent. I feel the same way you do, there are some things that I don't need to waste his time with.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.