BRRR method, HELOC instead of Refinance?

5 Replies

First off, I agree with @Brandon Hall , it should be the BARRR method!  If you haven't read this article, do so.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/forget-br...

Here's a quick recap on my situation:

My property in Missouri is about rehabbed.  Between purchase price and rehab I'll be in ~62k (all cash).  The house will comp 85-90k.  I'll go with 85k to be on the safe side.  It should rent out for $800 a month.  When I bought it, I was planning on being on title 6 months, and then doing a cash out refi for 75% of the appraised value ( and getting back more or less what I will have in it).  But, I'd have to wait 6 months.  And I'd then have a big fat mortgage.

So after 6 months, I can cash out refi, have a mortage, and after PITI, account for property management, saving for cap ex, repairs, etc, I could cash flow $100 a month. I consider this a good deal, having a property with no money left in and netting $100 a month.

However, when I went to speak with Bank Midwest, they offer a HELOC on investment properties. Variables to consider:

1. HELOC amount up to 75% LTV

2. Interest only payments for the first 10 years, first 12 payments 3.49%, after that 4.25%

3. HELOC can be offered immediately after rehab is completed, they do an appraisal that I'm on the hook for.

Isn't this a better deal?  I want to acquire more cash flowing properties, and am interested in delayed financing.  This way, I will be paying less interest than a mortgage (I can't find an investment mortgage for less than 4.25%), and my property will be cash flowing ~$400 per month instead of $100.  Am I missing something?

And THIS is why I have a money guy.  lol  I have no idea, but hopefully when I bump this thread up again, someone will answer this time around.  Good luck!

Looks good to me. I'm a supporter of lowest interest financing today if I can earn a better interest on an investment. I think an alternative way to structure the concept is focusing on earning more as opposed to cutting/managing costs. It all looks good to me. Congratulations.

Hi Pat. I'm an investor here in Springfield, MO and I also have a background in mortgage banking. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of HELOC or interest-only programs for my investment properties. My reasoning is that I like having a lower required monthly payment in order to maximize my monthly cash-flow.

Remember, you can always reduce your principal balance at any time with a HELOC (or an loan for that matter) simply by making a, "principal reduction" payment. The difference is, with a regular amortization loan, your payment remains constant throughout the life of the loan.

Make sure that Bank Midwest HELOC rate is fixed. Most HELOC's interest-rate is tied to prime and will fluctuate when the Fed raises rates. 

@John Ching , thanks for that info about HELOCs.  I'm probably going to get one in January for some renovations, but didn't know they usually weren't fixed.  THAT'S important to know!

I love the HELOC method, if it is all your cash, why refinance and let it sit in the bank? I BRRRR'd my first deal and had the money sitting in a bank account at .1% interest and it took another 4 months to find another deal.

I would much rather have the 4 months of all rent and then use the heloc when I need it. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here