Describe HUD Owned Home?

4 Replies

Can someone tell me what HUD owned property means and what types of hoops one would have to go through to purchase? Is this like a foreclosed/bank owned deal? Thanks.

It is simply an REO foreclosed on by fha. Similar to all other reo’s. With hud, no inspection/walk away clause for investor purchases.

@Wayne Brooks Hit on a lot of the major points. You would have to also work with an agent or broker that has a NAID which basically means they have the ability to submit bids for you electronically on the hudhomestore.com website. In CT at least there is still a lot of HUD inventory as compared to other states. Been involved in 9 HUD transactions so far in '17.

HUD will forfeit your deposit immediately if you fail to close -- title will be required to disburse it upon demand by HUD alone. Pay attention to deadlines.

If there is no walk-away clause, I assume you do all your inspections, etc. and are 100% sure you want it before putting in an offer?  Do you pay $300-$500 on a home inspection before putting in the offer since you can't walk away?  That sounds dangerous.  Perhaps you're just knowledgeable enough you don't need a home inspection and can do it yourself?  How does all this work?  Though I feel like it's not for me.  I'm working on my direct mailing plan right now.  ;-)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.