Please help on Certificate of Occupancy/Tenant not to be disturbd

6 Replies

So I'm looking at a small 2br house withh a "long term tennanct"  but the seller states that the owner will be responsible for the Certificate of Occupancy and all certifications.  And "tenant is not to be disturbed"   What could this possibly mean?

@John S Lewis , that is weird, its kind of like a paradox. How can the inspector come and give it a clear certificate of occupancy  when they can't even come in to inspect it? If PA and NJ landlord laws are about the same, you need the Certificate of Occupancy to be able to rent (I know its required in PA). Have the realtor talk to the seller's agent and clarify what your intentions are and need of the tenant to comply so as to be able to close on the property.

The seller's lease very likely contains an inspection clause.  Buyer and seller can arrange a time.  Seller will communicate the time to the tenant and arrange for cooperation.  My leases have a 24 hour notice requirement if the inspection is not for an emergency.

What did you find.

Either the tenant is a nightmare or the seller for some reason does not want the tenant to know he is selling.

My guess is the tenant is the issue, maybe a hoarder.

@John S Lewis maybe I'm misreading or misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like to me the posting is saying "don't worry about obtaining a CO the seller will take care of it and don't bother the tenant in your due diligence". Basically you may be buying sight unseen, but it doesn't sound like obtaining the CO would be your problem to deal with.

@Thomas S.

@Odie Ayaga

I'm not even considering this property anymore.  I showed it to someone and the area is a war zone.  probably why one can't disturb the tenant, they may got shot! lol

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here