Buying parking space(s)

13 Replies

Can any investors lend insight into costs associated with purchasing parking spaces? I’m interested in buying one or more and expect the following costs: Cost of space itself Taxes HOA fees, if any Anything else? What about the general process? Does it differ much from traditional RE transactions? Thanks! Maria

Oh lol - I own a condo adjacent to the lot where they’re being sold - I would like to add it.

Originally posted by @Steve Kontos :

@Maria Bocanegra

I am just curious, why invest in parking spaces?  

Low maintenance , very few tenant complaints , eviction is easy just call a tow truck 

I dunno...snow removal? Insurance? Sealing? Cleaning? Striping? Resurfacing? Maybe those are all included in the HOA dues? Might be an excellent investment, you are in Chicago after all.

In fact I like it the more I think about it. Do you have to own a unit to buy a space? I assume yes, but maybe the lot is not part of the HOA? Could be an interesting way for a low-budget investor to get started.

@Maria Bocanegra In Boston, parking stand-alone spaces are sold on MLS. In the last 6 months, there were 8 sold ranging in price from $45,000 (Chinatown) to $335,000 (Back Bay).

I never thought about the investment angle.  I suspect the best use is as an add-on for a nearby condo.

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

@Charlie MacPherson that's insane !

If a "tenant" pays on average 2.5$/hr for 20 hours a day for 365 days a year it's $18250 yearly. If you got the spot for 40k that's some return ..

@Yiftach Ilyov Hourly parking in garages in downtown Boston can run $35.00/day.  Monthly rates are well over $500.00.

You're right that you could use that option, but for those who have sufficient cash, buying in the right spot can be a nice luxury.

There are many reasons I have ordered my life in such a way that I stay out of Boston.  Parking and traffic are at the top of the list!

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

@Maria Bocanegra , the closing cost for buying a parking spot is very similar with the closing cost of a home. You'll pay city/county/state stamps, title fees, etc. Call a title company and they will let you know exactly how much it will be.

Regarding investing in a parking spot, it all depends on location. If you are in a neighborhood that doesn't have parking spots at all, you will be doing great. 

I do have couple clients that have bought multiple condo units with parking spaces in Downtown and for the last few years they could not rent them out, as most of the new tenants don't have cars, they use uber and public transportation. 

In other words, buy for yourself a spot and do research on parking in your area to know if you should buy extra spots for investment purpose. 

Good luck to you!

Lumi Ispas, Real Estate Agent in IL (#475.113981)
773-392-2906

@Maria Bocanegra Good advice so far. The same title process is used to acquire this type of real estate. It should have its own legal description and tax account.

There will be a need to review condo docs to answer your other questions -- can the space be deeded separately, are spaces assigned a percentage interest, charged separate dues, etc. 

Parking spaces in major cities are very good Investments. The returns are typically a little lower 4-6% and you typically cannot get financing but the only costs are HOA costs which typically cover repair costs etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.