REaltor asks for money to view house?

10 Replies

Because I’m 2 -3 hours away 

I’ve asked a realtor to view some homes I may be interested in . 

To Let me know if mold or cracked foundation is there . 

If not - I’ll go see them . 

He asked for a “small fee” to do this . 

Anyone ever heard of this?

I Thought   it was their job to find homes which meet criteria of buyer .

What if he views homes with mold - do I then have to pay him?

Interesting- have to look into that .

Originally posted by @Corby Goade :

In Idaho, that would be illegal. Realtors here can only legally accept payment of any kind from their broker. 

Im sure they would have the payment for services paid to their broker like they do with every other payment they receive.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635
Originally posted by @Marci Stein :

Because I’m 2 -3 hours away 

I’ve asked a realtor to view some homes I may be interested in . 

To Let me know if mold or cracked foundation is there . 

If not - I’ll go see them . 

He asked for a “small fee” to do this . 

Anyone ever heard of this?

I Thought   it was their job to find homes which meet criteria of buyer .

What if he views homes with mold - do I then have to pay him?

Yes that is their job and they can charge you anything they want for that job, and you are free to choose to hire them or not.  They likely feel, as would I that someone 3 hours away is simply wasting their time.  When I get inquiries like this, I tell them it is $350 per hour.  

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635

It's not really the realtor's job to drive around and personally view specific houses for someone that may or may not come to work with them. The realtor can/should identify possible homes that might fit the criteria of the buyer - assuming you're going to retain them as your buyer's agent - and then arrange for *you* to view the homes. How is it the realtor's problem that you are 2-3 hours away from the homes? 

Marci, I am a DIYer through and through as you know.  A reasonable fee for walking properties for you and being a first-line inspector sounds fair.

If you ask, they will probably discount the commission or recomp you in some way a portion of this if you buy through them.  If this is a good agent/broker to you, I'd compensate them for going above and beyond no problem!

@Marci Stein

If you had a prior relationship, the agent probably wouldn't charge. Since you are new, it is probably a way to make sure you're serious. Some agents might charge a per house/hour for concierge level work. Some might charge a retainer fee. It depends on how busy they are and what you're asking for them to do.

On a related note, contractors are usually charging to give estimates now due to how busy they are. It also weeds out the non-serious people.

You should absolutely pay.

Realtors have a large variety of responsibilities and motives, and the good ones will provide a lot of GREAT service for you, but this is quite the stretch.

She's not your investor partner, she's a realtor, and it sounds like she usually sells primary homes (like the vast majority do). If you don't want to show up at a house how can she make sure you LOVE it? If you're just buying it as an investment, then this is a business transaction and she deserves to make money on her service just like you're going to. Pay for her time, cost of doing business.

Ok got it - pay for his time . 

Thank you everyone!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.