Purpose of colleague requests?

7 Replies

I’ve received quite a few, I’m sure everyone does, I accept and then that is it

They never message me

So what is the point of people sending colleague requests?

I can understand why insurance agents, RE agents, wholesalers and loan officers send me colleague requests (in hopes of getting business), but even then - even if they do send me a message they'll pretty much never follow-up later on. 

And for the rest of the folks... I don't know. Maybe they like to collect social media contacts/colleagues/friends. A lot of the requests I receive are from new members. 

I've had people I've interacted with in a thread send me a request and I'm happy to accept those but that is definitely the exception toward the requests I receive. I can't even imagine how many requests the well-known BP members get....

Originally posted by @Michael Plante :

I’ve received quite a few, I’m sure everyone does, I accept and then that is it

They never message me

So what is the point of people sending colleague requests?

To irritate you. ;-)

Actually it makes them feel good that they are now "connected" somehow. Ignore them, they'll go away.

In the pre-digital age of yesteryear, people organized in their Rolodex the business cards they accumulated from attending meetings and conferences. When the need arose, they searched their Rolodex for the appropriate contact and called the person on the telephone ("interactive voice"). Then low-cost computers and the Internet changed everything. Back in the 1990s, Bill Gates wrote a book about it ("Business @ the Speed of Thought").

@Michael Plante I think there's a couple possible reasons for the scenario you described (which I agree does happen frequently). 

#1 - Just to accumulate colleagues much in the same way that people on Facebook try to accumulate friends.

#2 - To get access to your contact info (email address, phone number, or whatever else is listed in your profile).  In the past, I've accepted colleague requests and then suddenly started receiving unsolicited emails from that person and/or someone else who had to be associated with that person because there was no other way the sender could have obtained my email address.  For that reason, I'm now more guarded about who I accept a colleague request from. 

Now, I always check their profile and forum activity before deciding whether to accept the request.  The more of the following boxes they check, the more of a red flag it is for me and the less likely I am to accept their request: 

- No message with the colleague request

- They're from out of my local area (and usually not even the same state)

- They appear to have a sales-type job (an indication they may just want to solicit me for something)

- They have zero posts in the forums

I'm with @Roger Steciak, I have them like business cards. If I have a situation, I look through my contacts for someone with the experience to answer my question. Real estate is about networking, this is a form of networking....

I guess they're heavily invested in FB and having lots of 'friends' or 'colleagues' makes them feel good. 

I just ignore those who don't write to me at the same time.