Would this color change concern you?

4 Replies

Offer accepted on my first investment property, a fourplex!

I'm probably going to post a bunch of questions today.

I am a very cynical person. It serves me well sometimes and other times is a hindrance.

I ran across a listing for this property from when the current owners purchased it back in 08/09.

Built in 1999.  3300 sq ft.

In these listing pics, the building was grey vinyl siding with green doors. It is now yellow with red doors. Would this raise red flags for you?

A little more info.....

The property disclosure said there was replacement/mod to roof in 2007. So an 8-year-old roof needed to be replaced? Story  on that is there was a hail storm and people were getting new roofs. A contractor was deep into stripping the roof before he realized he was at the wrong house. So he had to finish the job. A free roof.

Obviously, I will let the inspector know to have an extra eye on these things, but would any of this concern you?

Account Closed

Housing is limited across America. I don't think many tenants care what color of the house is. As long as it is in a safe, friendly neighborhood, it has some nice amenities and enough bedrooms; you could color it vomit green and people will still want to rent from you. 

As for the roof, I think you lucked up. Free roof job? Hopefully the contractor did a good job. Just get the inspectors blessing on the house and snatch it up. 

If the colors bother you, change it. If it don't leave it. If anything, just do some curb appeal with a couple of plants and greenery and you are golden. 

Originally posted by @Brian Adzadi :

@Erik S.

Housing is limited across America. I don't think many tenants care what color of the house is. As long as it is in a safe, friendly neighborhood, it has some nice amenities and enough bedrooms; you could color it vomit green and people will still want to rent from you. 

As for the roof, I think you lucked up. Free roof job? Hopefully the contractor did a good job. Just get the inspectors blessing on the house and snatch it up. 

If the colors bother you, change it. If it don't leave it. If anything, just do some curb appeal with a couple of plants and greenery and you are golden. 

jThanks. I'm not concerned with the color. I am wondering if it is covering up an old issue. Weird to change vinyl siding color on a rental that's only 8 years old. That coupled with the roof story made me wonder....may be too pessimistic.

Account Closed

That is truly a toss up. You won't really know, you can ask your RE agent to ask the seller what made them decide to change the vinyl siding, they may give you an honest answer or they may give you a BS answer. Who knows. Your inspector can't help you out with that either because they don't pull back sidings or drywall to see what is going on beneath. 

The main things that I would be worried about is the roof, the HVAC, the electrical, the foundation and the windows. Everything else you can worry about as they emerge.