Foundation issues and flipping houses

Foundation issues and flipping houses

Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 34 votes

I just got an inspection done on a property where the inspector believes there are major foundation issues (cracks, bowing interior, ineffective DIY metal posts in basement).

When I spoke to the contractor who provided a bid to fix and flip the house, he basically said foundation issues are not that big of a deal in Ft Wayne because all houses in Ft Wayne basically have some type of foundation issue because of how old the houses are.

My question is- how big of a deal have you found it to be when it comes to buying and/or selling the house?

Aside from the ethical dilemma of not fixing a problem I know is there, I dont want to spend a bunch of money fixing up the house (and not the full issues behind the foundation), only to list it, get a buyer, and then have it fall through or reduce the sale price significantly when the buyer gets their inspection

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you!

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 5 votes
7y

Hi @Thuy Pham-Satrappe,

In North Texas many homes have foundation issues too.  I have heard that some lenders require a fix before close depending on the severity of the issue.  There are foundation repair experts in our area, I would try to find one in Ft Wayne and get another opinion.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John ChicoPro Member
    Los Angeles CA. · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I think that if your inspector made note of this issue that the buyers inspector will note this issue and you will have to compensate some how. Think the best thing to do is fix the issues or walk.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Hi @Thuy Pham-Satrappe,

    In North Texas many homes have foundation issues too.  I have heard that some lenders require a fix before close depending on the severity of the issue.  There are foundation repair experts in our area, I would try to find one in Ft Wayne and get another opinion.

    Good luck!

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 367 votes
    7y

    If you aren't willing to fix the problem properly pass on the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @Don Gouge agreed

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @John Chico agreed

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.