New Potential In The Texas Housing Market?

New Potential In The Texas Housing Market?

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 14 votes

The housing market in Texas has begun to increase substantially in the last few years with COVID-19 being a huge factor. The new remote work phenomenon has given people the ability to work anywhere they wish to reside. Texas has been a popular destination due to its affordable housing. This has also been a key to an increase in investors buying properties in hot markets such as Austin, San Antonio and other major Texas cities. This article by 24/7 Wall St highlights the smaller cities that have property prices beginning to increase. Big tech companies relocating to major cities in Texas are driving up real estate prices. With people wanting to be close to the big cities, there has been a significant increase in real estate prices in those markets. Residents also moving outside of the big city in search for more property at a better price is growing the population rate and is increasing home values by 20% to 40% in certain cities such as Leander, Hutto, and San Marcos. There has been no sign of the Texas housing market slowing down any time soon. Texas is a market that I believe investors can capitalize on. With smaller cities beginning to grow so does the availability to invest in more lucrative properties. What are your thoughts on the Texas housing market? Is it a gold mine for investors just waiting to be discovered?
https://247wallst.com/city/home-values-are-surging-in-hutto-texas-4/

3Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

@Paul Rojas I don't think there is anything to "discover". By the stats you mention clearly people have already discovered it. That being said the decades long growth probably won't stop soon!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Personally I don’t like potential gold mines 

    With so many places to put my money where I know it will increase it isn’t worth the added risk 

    For others I am sure they will cash in big. . . Or not 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas I don't think there is anything to "discover". By the stats you mention clearly people have already discovered it. That being said the decades long growth probably won't stop soon!

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas I agree with @Jordan Moorhead the Texas play isn’t new. In fact, we’ve had investors playing the “up and coming” Austin game for 20+ years. COVID-19 only accelerated the trend. Find markets your are interested in and start networking.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Michael Plante Thanks for the reply. I'm using the gold mine term loosely. The idea is to shift focus from the big cities to the smaller towns around them. What are your thoughts on the growth potential around those areas?

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Kelly @Jordan Moorhead Thank you for replying. I appreciate your input. In my previous article, I listed some reasons why some folks think there could be a decline in the broader housing market. If these declines take hold, they may impact the big cities more. What are your thoughts on the resiliency of the smaller towns around the big cities and their ability to still provide meaningful investment returns in that scenario? 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA · Member since 2021 · 180 posts · 158 votes
    5y

    Do a deep dive into the Property Tax in Texas and how they assess it. Then compare it to Nevada. Then calculate owning it for twenty years. TX is a popular "secret" that everyone already knows about...so it's not a secret goldmine IMO

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas I don't see anything about a decline in that article? Hutto isn't a small town either. It's a part of the Ausin metro area. It's essentially a suburb and I've been selling to buyers there who work in Austin.

    If the world economy crashes I think Austin will get hurt, otherwise I don't see how prices will go down with 180+ people a day moving here to work for companies like Google, Apple, Tesla, Samsung, Facebook, etc,

  • Reggie NworieBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    Hi @Jordan Moorhead Paul was referring to his previous article about reasons why the housing market could decline in the coming months. Here is the link: https://www.biggerpockets.com/... 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Zambricki Li that's a great point. Its clear its been one of the worst kept secrets, especially in the last couple of years. What do you think about investing in the surrounding areas? As an investor, do you think the opportunity has already passed? Or is there still runway ahead of us?

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Reggie Nworie I'm not a big fan of taking investing advice from CNN columnists personally. Foreclosures will have to happen at a massive scale to flip our supply and demand problem and that's the only thing in there I saw that wasn't opinion. I hope they do as I want to buy a lot more! But I don't see that happening personally. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 335 posts · 193 votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas

    Do you foresee San Antonio slowing down any time soon? Or do you think it’ll keep going up?

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Allen Wu IMO I don't see the San Antonio market slowing down anytime soon. There is a lot of development in downtown, with south town being a very popular area for investors using the BRRR strategy. There has also been an increase in ground up construction in the outskirts of the city as well. The I-35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio seems to be a hot bed right now for growth.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas love most of the state. Still plenty of wide-open land as well for the people that prefer farm or ranch living!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas I don't think any of the Texas Metros will slow down anytime soon! The only one I'm a little skeptical of is Houston if they keep hitting against energy 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Paul Rojas - historically, Austin has weathered market declines well.  In cases where the market HAS been shaken, it has affected outlying areas harder than the city.  That said, I agree with Jordan Moorehead - even small areas like Hutto (and Hutto is small!) are becoming a well-connected part of the central metropolis.  As companies continue to relocate here, our rural farmland communities are not so rural any more.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    The Texas market is still up and running, and it's not slowing down. I have clients from different states investing in the Houston area; you just need to know where to look.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.