Common Area Flooring for Apt Building Recommendations

7 Replies

I'm looking for recommendations for the best type of flooring to install in the common area entry ways of my apartment building. Currently the entryways are an eye sore with 1980's tile and I'm trying to figure out what material would work best. They are in the midwest so I'm concerned about snow and salt. I also want to make sure they hold up for at least 3-5 years. What have people used that has worked best from a safety standpoint, as well as an aesthetic standpoint?

Vinyl plank flooring all the way !  It's very affordable and durable, and comes in every style imaginable  and extremely easy to  install  or replace a piece  if it gets damaged

Carpet tile made with a floor mat material. This way they can get some of the dirt off before going on the other carpet. Also, don’t have to worry about it getting slippery

Replacing it with tile would be the #1 option since it's held up this long. You can avoid slips with commercial-quality floor mats that are easy to remove and clean or replace.

Second choice would be luxury vinyl plank but you may still have to worry about slipping.

Commercial carpet tiles are another great option because they eliminate the risk of slipping and tiles can be replaced as they wear out.

Originally posted by @Peter Fennig :

Vinyl plank flooring all the way !  It's very affordable and durable, and comes in every style imaginable  and extremely easy to  install  or replace a piece  if it gets damaged

LVP all the way. I agree. I was selling B2B for a flooring business working with PMs in the bay area for 10 years. It is what they are putting in for the most part. And replacing just 1 plank makes it super easy and saves a ton of money. Its super easy to do a repair yourself. Always buy an extra box or two of the product to have on hand for such repairs as the manufacturers are often changing patterns and styles within their product line.