Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Karl Dela Cruz
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Winnipeg, MB
Votes |
Career in development. How to get started?

Karl Dela Cruz
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Winnipeg, MB
Posted Nov 17 2020, 21:38

Hello,

I am currently on my last year of University to obtain a degree in business focused on Finance. I am currently in an internship in commercial real estate but I can't imagine myself managing portfolios forever or working in the corporate setting. I want to do acquisitions and build. Be out there not in the office.

I do not know how to start but I have done a few wholesale deals and just closed my first rental while balancing a full time paid internship and full time school (Hectic). Based on these experiences, I enjoyed the hustle of finding off market deals and also seeing my hard work pay off from watching my rental transform from ugly to beauty.

Now, I have been in school for 5 years... They don't teach development nor real estate in uni. 

Should I apply for a school that focuses on real estate development after I graduate? I have connected with developers but they are small local developers. I want to eventually move into commercial and learn from someone who is well experienced but i'm not sure how to do this.

How do I start the path of development, any books, paths or direction to start? How can I obtain a mentor and how do I provide value for them to even consider mentoring me? 

Scary how it is my last year of uni and i've worked so hard but realizing now that I don't want a corporate job. I tasted it and DO NOT LIKE IT. Any developers, please help. 

Loading replies...