Getting Started. How & What would you do with $750k? Suggestions?

Getting Started. How & What would you do with $750k? Suggestions?

Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 13 votes

Hi Everyone,

I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

    • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
    • Flipping homes?
    • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
    • Investing in mobile home parks?
    • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
    • Employing the BRRRR ?
    • Targeting Section 8 housing?

I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.

6Reply
350 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

I wouldn’t do any of those things. As I’m nearing retirement, I just invested a similar amount in first trust deeds secured by real estate at 9.75%. That’s $ 6,093.75 a month in passive cashflow. I don’t sell anything here on BP. I’m just an investor. Best of luck to you.

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 13 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Shamar Gregg:
    Quote from @Greg P.:

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

    Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

    What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

      • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
      • Flipping homes?
      • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
      • Investing in mobile home parks?
      • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
      • Employing the BRRRR ?
      • Targeting Section 8 housing?

    I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.

    @Greg P.

    With a $750K budget, I recommend focusing on single-family home investments in the Midwest. This region offers attractive home prices in the $100K–$200K range, combined with rental yields that often exceed the 1% rule. This provides an excellent opportunity to purchase properties, make light renovations to increase both rental income and property value, and optimize cash flow. Especially in a region where homes often have great bones but need interior TLC. 

    From there, work with a reliable cash-out refinance partner to continually access your equity, allowing you to keep non-taxable cash on hand for future investments. By repeating this process, you can scale your portfolio while working toward your desired monthly income goals. This strategy offers both stability and growth potential, especially if you're able to identify high-demand rental area. For example, in market I see single homes valued 100-150K, taxes 1-4K, rents 1800-2200.

    Hi Shamar, 

    I completely agree—these are strategies I’ve been researching and considering as well. Starting with single-family homes and growing a portfolio one step at a time seems like a practical approach. I’ve heard great things about Ohio, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Are there any states or areas where you’ve found particular success? Do you mainly invest locally in Chicago, or do you also work with out-of-state investors? I’d love to connect directly—thanks again for your insights!


  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 13 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

    Hey Greg,

    With $750k to work with, you're in a great spot to make a serious move towards financial freedom through real estate. The right strategy for you is going to depend on a few things, like your risk tolerance and how much cash flow you need to hit your goals. Since you're looking to transition out of the corporate world over the next 3-5 years, I can share what worked for me.

    I started with a lot less capital—around $250k—and used the BRRRR strategy in Detroit. Over two years, I built up 12 doors, which now generate about $100k in net income annually. The great thing about BRRRR is that it allows you to keep recycling your initial cash, which makes it easier to scale quickly while building cash flow and equity.

    Flipping homes, in my opinion, is more of a job than an investment. It could be a solid route once you've transitioned away from your corporate job, but it's tough to juggle flipping while working a demanding W2. If I were in your shoes and aiming to build a portfolio while still working, I'd focus on strategies like BRRRR that let your capital work for you while building both cash flow and long-term value.

    Happy to discuss more if you have specific questions or want to explore Detroit as an option!

    —Travis


     Hey Travis -- 

    I’ve noticed your posts on the forums, and your insights on Twitter have been incredibly valuable. Detroit seems like a fantastic market with all the ongoing development and investment. It appears there are still opportunities to buy good properties in decent areas, though I’m sure it’s important to be very specific about locations. I’d love to connect more directly in the near future. Thanks for your comment, and have a great holiday!

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 13 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Greg P. Hi Greg, I’m still relatively new at this, only being involved in real estate investing about 6 years this go round. I’ve been doing fairly well with my purchases and they are appreciating nicely.

    That being said I’m only averaging about $225/door.

    Maybe in different markets you could find $300/door but I think it is going to be difficult as a beginner.

    It’s going to take you a considerable amount of time and effort to reach $350,000 per year.

    My average rent is about $1100/month.

    You might be able to find a lower price point per unit than I’m at but it’s a LOT MORE WORK to have low quality properties as opposed to nicer ones.

    I’d recommend starting slow with one 2-4 unit using leverage and see if you even like being a landlord.

    Then buy a second. And after a couple of years if you are enjoying it start to scale bigger or faster or both.


     Hi Alecia -- 6 years in congrats to you! I am excited to start this journey and I can only hope you have similar successes. Thanks for dropping a comment! Look forward to connecting. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Purchase some class a/b 4 units at 25 down on fixed 30 year mortgages. We have many of these in the nice neighborhoods of Chicago and you get easy tenants, rent increases and appreciation. After own a few and experienced can try some flips. BRRR worked great pre COVID but only really cash flows now in high crime areas.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:

    Buy 2-3 quality rentals with a 1.25 DSCR. Buy the same amount(in regards to downpayment allocations) in debt notes. Every year do the same, 1-2 properties + 1-2 notes.

    Can change up rental style; maybe some STR, maybe some LTR. Pick 2-4 locations, get no more than about 6 deep in any but no less than 2 deep. Prioritize quality locations.

    Keep healthy amount of reserves per property, hire a PM, and hire a tax friendly CPA(not planning just prep). 

    Around year 7 or 8, ideally year 10, re-assess your equity and maturation of those debt notes and re-adjust how you invest to suit your needs. 


     Incredible feedback thanks so much V.G. 

    I really enjoyed reading your comments! I love the strategy of diversifying across different markets and would love to connect directly to hear more about what has worked for you and what hasn’t. It’s helpful to target specific regions or states, and your insights are invaluable. Thanks again for sharing!


    We can just break it down here. I'm one of the only few, maybe only one, that is giving unfiltered advice. Not pointing you my way or any way. The X & Os of investing, portfolio construction vary from person to person. Ask here what you want to know.

    These same types of threads show up 2-3x month, and the reality it's all the same.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

    Hey Greg,

    With $750k to work with, you're in a great spot to make a serious move towards financial freedom through real estate. The right strategy for you is going to depend on a few things, like your risk tolerance and how much cash flow you need to hit your goals. Since you're looking to transition out of the corporate world over the next 3-5 years, I can share what worked for me.

    I started with a lot less capital—around $250k—and used the BRRRR strategy in Detroit. Over two years, I built up 12 doors, which now generate about $100k in net income annually. The great thing about BRRRR is that it allows you to keep recycling your initial cash, which makes it easier to scale quickly while building cash flow and equity.

    Flipping homes, in my opinion, is more of a job than an investment. It could be a solid route once you've transitioned away from your corporate job, but it's tough to juggle flipping while working a demanding W2. If I were in your shoes and aiming to build a portfolio while still working, I'd focus on strategies like BRRRR that let your capital work for you while building both cash flow and long-term value.

    Happy to discuss more if you have specific questions or want to explore Detroit as an option!

    —Travis


     Hey Travis -- 

    I’ve noticed your posts on the forums, and your insights on Twitter have been incredibly valuable. Detroit seems like a fantastic market with all the ongoing development and investment. It appears there are still opportunities to buy good properties in decent areas, though I’m sure it’s important to be very specific about locations. I’d love to connect more directly in the near future. Thanks for your comment, and have a great holiday!


     I appreciate that, Greg. Happy to talk any time.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 44 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:
    Quote from @Shamar Gregg:
    Quote from @Greg P.:

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

    Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

    What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

      • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
      • Flipping homes?
      • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
      • Investing in mobile home parks?
      • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
      • Employing the BRRRR ?
      • Targeting Section 8 housing?

    I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.

    @Greg P.

    With a $750K budget, I recommend focusing on single-family home investments in the Midwest. This region offers attractive home prices in the $100K–$200K range, combined with rental yields that often exceed the 1% rule. This provides an excellent opportunity to purchase properties, make light renovations to increase both rental income and property value, and optimize cash flow. Especially in a region where homes often have great bones but need interior TLC. 

    From there, work with a reliable cash-out refinance partner to continually access your equity, allowing you to keep non-taxable cash on hand for future investments. By repeating this process, you can scale your portfolio while working toward your desired monthly income goals. This strategy offers both stability and growth potential, especially if you're able to identify high-demand rental area. For example, in market I see single homes valued 100-150K, taxes 1-4K, rents 1800-2200.

    Hi Shamar, 

    I completely agree—these are strategies I’ve been researching and considering as well. Starting with single-family homes and growing a portfolio one step at a time seems like a practical approach. I’ve heard great things about Ohio, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Are there any states or areas where you’ve found particular success? Do you mainly invest locally in Chicago, or do you also work with out-of-state investors? I’d love to connect directly—thanks again for your insights!


    @Greg P.

    I primarily focus on real estate investments in Chicago, working with out-of-state investors who want to tap into the local market from afar. I also help investors analyze deals in any state, providing insights to ensure they make informed decisions.

    While the markets Greg mentioned are excellent for investing and tend to be more landlord-friendly, Chicago—being the third-largest city in the U.S.—offers unique advantages. The rental demand here is consistently strong, so vacancies are rare and turnover is quick. This isn’t always the case in more sparsely populated areas, where vacancy periods can be longer, affecting cash flow. In contrast, Chicago’s prime location drives higher rental rates compared to many other cities in the Midwest, which can significantly impact your return on investment. Looking forward to connecting. 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Greg P. With $750K, start by focusing on cash-flowing rental properties in stable markets like Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Birmingham, blending appreciation and income.

    Use financing strategically to scale while preserving liquidity for value-add opportunities like BRRRR or small multifamily properties.

    Allocate a portion of funds for flips or mobile home parks to diversify and boost capital. Consider Section 8 housing for steady, government-backed income. Build a strong team of local agents, property managers, and contractors, and reinvest profits to grow your portfolio. This approach balances cash flow, scalability, and long-term growth, aligning with your goal to transition from corporate work within 3–5 years.

    If you plan correctly, you might not even have to pay any taxes at the W2 level as well.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    It  really depends on your level of risk. To me, I think having great properties in great areas is the play. Similar to what @Henry Lazerow said, you'll want to quality areas. I'd recommend suburbs or cities in faster growing areas after doing your own due diligence. $750k would be more than enough to buy several houses but you'll need to be mindful of DTI after getting a few mortgages if they're not DSCR.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Greg P.

    To become a full-time real estate investor, focus on cash flow, appreciation potential, and scalability. Consider strategies like rental properties, BRRRR method, flipping for capital gains, multifamily properties, mobile home parks, Section 8 housing, geographic diversification, and building a team. Research landlord-friendly states with high rental demand and leverage 25% down payments. Focus on quality over quantity and regularly reassess your portfolio and strategies to stay aligned with financial independence goals.

    Good luck!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

    Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

    What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

      • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
      • Flipping homes?
      • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
      • Investing in mobile home parks?
      • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
      • Employing the BRRRR ?
      • Targeting Section 8 housing?

    I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.


    Hi Greg, turnkey rentals seem aligned with your current situation and leveraging your wife's additional mortgage capacity would be a smart move. You can consider diversifying across 2-3 markets initially but since out-of-state investing requires robust teams and systems, I suggest to start in one market, build your systems, and expand. If you're looking at the Midwest markets, you may also want to check Columbus OH. I own a rental portfolio here myself after moving from Portland OR. Great macroeconomics - lots of job growth, population growth, and companies developing here. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

  • Lender · Chicago · Member since 2024 · 88 posts · 24 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

    Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

    What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

      • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
      • Flipping homes?
      • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
      • Investing in mobile home parks?
      • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
      • Employing the BRRRR ?
      • Targeting Section 8 housing?

    I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.

    Hey Greg, I’d recommend buying a multi unit property that could use minor upgrades and buying all cash. You could do the upgrades then rent out the units or sell after you made the improvements. Or you could do a lot of fix and flips and also you could do wholesaling if you were looking for faster money.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

    Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

    What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

      • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
      • Flipping homes?
      • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
      • Investing in mobile home parks?
      • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
      • Employing the BRRRR ?
      • Targeting Section 8 housing?

    I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.


    Let's pretend I'm some 23yr old know-nothing in real estate BUT what I do know is Real Estate Investing content sells like hot cakes. 

    And, being 23, raised in this world, I really don't care about substance, I care about making that $ yo! And I see all these people doing it with this scheme and that scheme, and real estate investing content seems a golden ticket. 

    But, I'm a 23 know-nothing, how do I get content to sell. Chat GPT will only get me so far. 

    Ah-HA! I can just go onto Bigger Pockets.... Make a free account.... Play Opossum ".... help, I'm some corporate slave just feeling life slipping away in my 9-5 but I do make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year I just have nothing to do with, WHAT SHOULD I DO"..... 

    Now I just keep making assorted free accounts and adjust this messaging with little tweaks here n there, to "Information/Idea Mine" from all these people. 

    Than, feed all that into chat GPT too formulate into a "How To" that I will next sell to the masses. 

    Ka-pow, nice n easy 1-2-3'esie. 

    So to you "Greg's" I say; purchase an ip license from me. I'm a decent and fair guy so I appreciate the entrepreneur spirit, but to take free of charge is THEFT. Buy ip license which i will be very fair, mostly royalty based, and I will feed enough to write that first content piece. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 


    what size are those developments? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 


    what size are those developments? 


    the WA DC ones ?   one is 35 lots acre plus lots with a nice pond for aesthetics well bigger than a pond..  One of the others is 200 lots plus with townhouse lots which are popular.
    and the 3rd one about 110 lots its a land assemblage so layout is not standard.
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 


    what size are those developments? 


    the WA DC ones ?   one is 35 lots acre plus lots with a nice pond for aesthetics well bigger than a pond..  One of the others is 200 lots plus with townhouse lots which are popular.
    and the 3rd one about 110 lots its a land assemblage so layout is not standard.

    I assume they got it as raw land/ag? 

    Than did all the red-tape fun to get things set, and completed soil corrections. 

    Did they also do utilities and roads, or was that left for builder? 

    I am curious at what stage of land development the sale was struck with builder. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 


    what size are those developments? 


    the WA DC ones ?   one is 35 lots acre plus lots with a nice pond for aesthetics well bigger than a pond..  One of the others is 200 lots plus with townhouse lots which are popular.
    and the 3rd one about 110 lots its a land assemblage so layout is not standard.

    I assume they got it as raw land/ag? 

    Than did all the red-tape fun to get things set, and completed soil corrections. 

    Did they also do utilities and roads, or was that left for builder? 

    I am curious at what stage of land development the sale was struck with builder. 


    they took options on the dirt subject to plat approvals.. then marketed the property to builders.. why they need me is that these projects require 500k to 1 mil up front to get approvals and thats what we provide.. our return is high based on risk. However having developed many subdivisions myself I was able to work with my client ( who is a very experienced civil engineer that did projects in NYC) So determined that with the base zoning it was not a matter of if it was how many and how  long to get approved.

    this is probably one of the top 10 markets in the entire US for new builds you would not have Toll brothers there if it was not.  35 minutes or so West of Dulles and all the high tech in that area.. It really reminds me of where i grew up in Cupertino Ca when tech took off and the orchards were turned into housing.  However as stated the cost to go from land to approvals is about as high as I have seen in the markets I have worked in.. N. CA maybe as high with their EIR requirements that cost 250k to 500k just for the EIR reports.
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 


    what size are those developments? 


    the WA DC ones ?   one is 35 lots acre plus lots with a nice pond for aesthetics well bigger than a pond..  One of the others is 200 lots plus with townhouse lots which are popular.
    and the 3rd one about 110 lots its a land assemblage so layout is not standard.

    I assume they got it as raw land/ag? 

    Than did all the red-tape fun to get things set, and completed soil corrections. 

    Did they also do utilities and roads, or was that left for builder? 

    I am curious at what stage of land development the sale was struck with builder. 


    they took options on the dirt subject to plat approvals.. then marketed the property to builders.. why they need me is that these projects require 500k to 1 mil up front to get approvals and thats what we provide.. our return is high based on risk. However having developed many subdivisions myself I was able to work with my client ( who is a very experienced civil engineer that did projects in NYC) So determined that with the base zoning it was not a matter of if it was how many and how  long to get approved.

    this is probably one of the top 10 markets in the entire US for new builds you would not have Toll brothers there if it was not.  35 minutes or so West of Dulles and all the high tech in that area.. It really reminds me of where i grew up in Cupertino Ca when tech took off and the orchards were turned into housing.  However as stated the cost to go from land to approvals is about as high as I have seen in the markets I have worked in.. N. CA maybe as high with their EIR requirements that cost 250k to 500k just for the EIR reports.

    That's a really smart way to go about it. 

    In MN it feels like NJ and NY has long bought up every section of decent future developable land. And if one thinks to go Ag side, now we got Bezos, Gates and "Zuck" gobbling everything up at prices nobody can touch. 

    It's easy to feel hopeless on acquisition side of things.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    one  way i know to replace 350k a year with 750k is to build new construction and sell it.

    we pretty much double our money COC with new builds within 12 months.

    So you pay cash for the lot  get a construction loan and the hard part is going to be a GC you know and trust.. sell the house double your cash on cash or better.. pay your tax and keep going.

    Or invest with a developer and do value add by creating building lots those are easy to 2X or better more risk though. I have 3 of those going right now in Loudoun county VA just outside of WA DC my deal with that developer is 100% return per annum.. First one we did closes in Feb and is sold to Toll Brothers.. WE put up 400k and will get 400k back as a return my client is going to make a few million. Life changing for him. Nice hit for us and we have 2 more going One sold to lennar another to a big regional same terms larger returns for us and my client will make 8 figures on one :) ..

    On my new builds we hit the double cash on cash in certain markets sometimes its only 50%.

    But thats the quickest way to get to 350k a year and keep growing it.

    you have to force appreciation just like building a business.

    Rentals to get to 350 a year is going to take you quite a bit more cash or its going to take you years and years to get there.

    .. I have one bizz partner I sold a 100 unit apartment to 18 years ago for 5 mil and he paid cash.. They net net net 45k a month its totally passive for them they have a very good PM.. He also does solar deals that are out of this world in Hawaii but you need to be a Hawaii resident to get the full benefit.. 


    what size are those developments? 


    the WA DC ones ?   one is 35 lots acre plus lots with a nice pond for aesthetics well bigger than a pond..  One of the others is 200 lots plus with townhouse lots which are popular.
    and the 3rd one about 110 lots its a land assemblage so layout is not standard.

    I assume they got it as raw land/ag? 

    Than did all the red-tape fun to get things set, and completed soil corrections. 

    Did they also do utilities and roads, or was that left for builder? 

    I am curious at what stage of land development the sale was struck with builder. 


    they took options on the dirt subject to plat approvals.. then marketed the property to builders.. why they need me is that these projects require 500k to 1 mil up front to get approvals and thats what we provide.. our return is high based on risk. However having developed many subdivisions myself I was able to work with my client ( who is a very experienced civil engineer that did projects in NYC) So determined that with the base zoning it was not a matter of if it was how many and how  long to get approved.

    this is probably one of the top 10 markets in the entire US for new builds you would not have Toll brothers there if it was not.  35 minutes or so West of Dulles and all the high tech in that area.. It really reminds me of where i grew up in Cupertino Ca when tech took off and the orchards were turned into housing.  However as stated the cost to go from land to approvals is about as high as I have seen in the markets I have worked in.. N. CA maybe as high with their EIR requirements that cost 250k to 500k just for the EIR reports.

    That's a really smart way to go about it. 

    In MN it feels like NJ and NY has long bought up every section of decent future developable land. And if one thinks to go Ag side, now we got Bezos, Gates and "Zuck" gobbling everything up at prices nobody can touch. 

    It's easy to feel hopeless on acquisition side of things.


    well what I see out there is the builders dont want to bring land on to their balance sheets most of the time.. So they are good paying retail.. we had 5 to 7 offers on each project .
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    If you are open to all these things, I think a healthy mix of BRRRR, Flips and maybe a couple turnkey rentals in there - BRRRR is likely the best bet (if you have the time/energy) and can unemotionally pivot some to flips or deploy some capital on great turnkey deals as a secondary strategy

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2018 · 311 posts · 166 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg P.:

    Hi Everyone,

    I’m seeking advice on how to get started in real estate investing with a decent amount of liquid funds available to deploy—roughly up to $750K.

    Currently, I’m working in the corporate world but looking to transition into real estate as my next venture. My ultimate goal is to use this capital to generate enough cash flow to focus on real estate full-time. While I’m not in a rush, I aim to strategically invest and grow a portfolio over the next 3–5 years to make a smooth exit from the corporate grind, as reporting to an office daily has left me feeling burnt out.

    What strategies would you recommend? Should I consider:

      • Purchasing rental properties? (Best regions/areas for returns?)
      • Flipping homes?
      • Acquiring pre-existing rental portfolios?
      • Investing in mobile home parks?
      • Using leverage to scale, such as borrowing against this cash for larger down payments?
      • Employing the BRRRR ?
      • Targeting Section 8 housing?

    I’m open to ideas and keen to hear what approaches have worked well for others who’ve found success in real estate. Any tips, strategies, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their thoughts.

    @Greg P. congratulations on making a decision to enter real estate investing. You certainly have enough liquid cash in almost any real estate investment arena.

    Since you are not in a hurry (good thing), spend your time in education. Look at 2-3 different REI strategies that excite you. After some initial research, choose one and then go deep in it. This will give you focus which is much needed to see results.

    Regarding which strategy to choose from the options you've listed (I've done all of those); that really depends on your goals. For example, is your goal primarily cashflow or appreciation? Therefore, write down your specific goals. For example:

    - In 5-years, I would like to have a monthly cash flow from our REI portfolio to be net $10,000/month.

    Hope that helps.. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Rhein-Nahe Region Germany & Worldwide · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Hi Greg, I remember working on my master plan to make it out of the matrix in 2006. I only had $48,000 after investing in my first deal. I was unemployed by 2010. Looking back— I had the faith to move mountains but it was a little scary 🫣 at times. I had every reason to be nervous because my first deal was in Germany, I was the project manager, and I didn’t speak any German! But I also learned that many realestate investors can be very helpful and love to share their experiences. Let me be clear— It was a wild ride! I was incredibly blessed that no one took advantage of me and my greenness. I made alot of mistakes that first project. But I was asking so many questions, getting hands-on lessons, and all up in the contractors business. I think they could not wait to finish my project and be done with me. I will suggest a few wild ideas that turned out to be not so wild. Most important thing… if you’re here you’re most likely an investor that’s willing to do the work instead of just speculating and guessing. Good for you!

    You’re in a fantastic position to make a smart, strategic transition into real estate with $750K in liquid capital. Since you’re not in a rush, you can structure your investments for both short-term cash flow and long-term wealth creation, ensuring a smooth exit from the corporate grind. Take some money and invest in traveling to places in the U.S. and international markets that interest you. Meet with some real estate agents, banks, brokers, and property managers/developers in those areas. 2025 is going to be a pretty awesome year for cash rich investors who can pick up some excellent deals on the cheap! 

    Instead of just looking at traditional real estate investing strategies like BRRRR, flipping, or Section 8 rentals, why not think bigger?

    Two Parallel Paths to Consider

    1. Build a High-Cash-Flow Rental Portfolio (Traditional Approach)

    2. Start an Investment Fund for U.S. Military, Civilians & Government Employees to Buy Overseas Real Estate (Scalable & Innovative Approach)

    Path 1: Traditional Real Estate Investment Strategies

    With $750K, you could:

    - Buy Cash-Flowing Rentals in High-Growth Markets: Focus on landlord-friendly states with strong job markets (e.g., Texas, Florida, Tennessee, the Carolinas).

    - BRRRR Strategy (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat): Use leverage to scale a portfolio of multifamily or single-family rentals.

    - Section 8 / Affordable Housing: Provide government-backed rental income, reducing risk.

    - Short-Term & Mid-Term Rentals:  Capitalize on Airbnb, traveling nurses, and corporate housing.

    - Mobile Home Parks / Multifamily Units: Higher cash-on-cash returns compared to single-family homes.

    You could also leverage financing to stretch your capital further, securing 2-3 properties with only 20-30% down payments per deal.

    Pros of This Approach

    💶 Predictable, steady cash flow

    ✅ Lower risk compared to development projects

    👌🏾 Scalable with financing options

    Challenges

    🫰 U.S. real estate market is competitive and expensive

    ⏳ Managing properties can be time-consuming

    🏘️ Requires multiple properties to generate full-time income

    Path 2: Start a U.S. Military & Government Worker Investment Fund for Overseas Real Estate

    Why limit yourself to U.S. real estate when there’s a huge, untapped opportunity to help U.S. military personnel, expats, and government workers invest in overseas properties?

    Why This is a Game-Changer

    - High-Income, Low-Time Investors: Military, government employees, and contractors earn great salaries but often don’t have the time or knowledge to invest in real estate.

    - Huge Housing Demand Near U.S. Bases Overseas: Military members stationed in Germany, Spain, Italy, Korea, Japan, and Portugal need quality rental housing.

    - VA Loans Don't Apply Overseas: U.S. military and government personnel can't use VA loans internationally, leaving them with few property investment options.

    - Tax Benefits & Currency Arbitrage: Some overseas markets offer better cash flow, tax incentives, and lower property costs compared to the U.S.

    How You Could Structure It

    - Create a Private Syndicate or Real Estate Fund: Raise capital from U.S. military, contractors, and government workers to invest in properties near U.S. bases overseas.

    - Focus on Key Military & Expat Cities: Target locations like Ramstein, Wiesbaden, Rota, Naples, Seoul, or Yokosuka, where thousands of U.S. personnel need housing.

    - Offer Fractional Ownership or Managed Rentals: Investors own a share of multiple properties while you handle property management.

    - Leverage Serviced Housing & Co-Living Models: High-end, furnished rentals for military professionals, digital nomads, and traveling contractors.

    Example Strategy

    - Raise $1M from 10-20 investors (military/gov personnel) to buy 3-5 properties in Germany or Spain.

    - Use seller financing & local bank loans to maximize purchasing power.

    - Rent properties to military families, U.S. contractors, or co-living tenants for stable cash flow.

    - Utilize local tax incentives and investment visas to increase ROI.

    Why This Could Be a Billion-Dollar Play

    - Solves a real problem for U.S. military/gov professionals looking to invest overseas.

    - Provides stable, built-in demand (military personnel have guaranteed salaries & housing stipends).

    - Creates an alternative wealth-building strategy for a niche group of investors.

    - More scalable than traditional rentals. You become an asset manager, not just a landlord.

    The Best Play? Combine Both Approaches

    - Use part of your $750K to buy 2-3 high-cash-flow U.S. rental properties for stable income.

    - Use the remaining capital to launch a military/gov real estate investment fund focused on overseas rental housing.

    - As your portfolio grows, reinvest profits into larger multifamily, co-living spaces, or boutique hotels for traveling professionals.

    Final Thought: Real Estate Is About Ownership, But Business Is About Scale

    If you want to quit your corporate job and transition into real estate full-time, owning a few rental properties isn’t enough. You need a repeatable, scalable model that can generate significant income without you being tied to day-to-day property management unless you find out that’s your thing. 

    Starting a military/gov investor fund for overseas real estate is a contrarian but incredibly strategic move. It solves a real problem, taps into an underserved market, and creates a scalable investment vehicle that goes beyond traditional real estate investing.

    If you want to brainstorm how to execute this vision, let’s connect!

  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2021 · 49 posts · 26 votes
    1y

    Hi Greg!

    Found your post searching for others who have capital to deploy to get started, and I've learned a lot from this thread. Curious if in the past few months you've come to some clarity about what you'd like to do? I'm focused on Detroit and northwest MI, very different markets/strategies, and hoping the two will balance out and offer some diversification. I think our fresh water and cooler temps are going to be very attractive as the climate gets hotter! That's my hot investment tip :).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.