How are YOU finding deals?

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y

The last one...Craigslist-advertised as under market..and it was

One before that: Craigslist-owner found me and wanted out fast

One before that: Craigslist-distressed owner found me

One before that: HUD property

One before that: MLS listed property

Working on one that I may lock up this week: if it works out...Craigslist

Now you know why I encourage people to use CL:)

See this reply in the discussion

120 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sammamish, WA · Member since 2013 · 106 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    1. One from Auction

    2. One from wholesaler

    3.Three from mls

    Thanks

    Inder

  • Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    HUD home on realtor.com

  • Miami Lakes, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    Attorney referral, MLS, Door Knocking, and a Personally signed letter.

  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Seems like people are finding some amazing deals! I'm still looking to make my first deal. But I wanted to participate :)

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Yoochul C.:

    two by marriage, moved out of houses owned by each one of us individually and moved into a third primary.  4th and 5th property using a TK in Texas.  All buy and holds.

    Yooch

     I am interested in TK in Texas. Can I get more information? Like good TK companies etc...Thanks 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Meetup.com- Investing Groups in Houston, TX, MLS, various network groups. Opportunities are from buy & hold or flip and rehab.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    I don't have direct access to the MLS...but I do find it interesting that, of the 50 odd deals I analyzed on Realtor.com and Zillow today, the only ones that had ROIs above 10% were already pending. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist, but it would seem some folks have access to critical info before the rest of us.
  • Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Through my network -- the property came to me

  • Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Redfin
  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    My most recent is a 276 unit apartment complex, came from a broker relationship.

    The next one behind that was a SFR from online auction.

    The three previous are all SFR from auctions on the courthouse steps.

    Those three channels are where most of my deal flow comes from with wholesalers and MLS rounding out a minority. For some reason I just don't get much traction with direct marketing or Craigslist. :( I've tried both but just don't seem to be as good at it as I am with auctions.

    All of these were bought in the last 30 days and will be rehabbed and flipped except the apartment complex. That one will be rehabbed and held.  

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    My first property off the MLS. The second property was a pocket listing from an agent. Third property, the owner literally came to me and asked me to buy his building.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Two from MLS, one FSBO in the paper, one from my brother who had a friend in bankruptcy court, one from a sign on a street.

  • Waterloo, SC · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I am real new to the game but I have 2 places. One im living in for now from craigslist was a rent to own at 1,000 down 500 a month my second place was from an investor that bought the place in front of me needed a little work and he wanted out of it quick. Since the place was right in front of me he came to me and offered it for 9,700 all i could do is rent to own for 200 a month and he went for it. All together I'm paying $49,000 for both places and together they have a market value of $135,000. I think i have done ok so far. My next one that i will work on will be at the court house auction tax deed sales 

  • Investor · Cedar Hill, TX · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    3 were direct purchases from the Seller who called me from my Postcard

    1 was a website lead from a Google Search

    1 was from an Attorney who referred a Broker's Pocket listing

    Another good source for my leads lately has been from my own REIA Group that meets for Lunch every other week. I use www.Meetup.com for that.

  • Developer · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 169 votes
    11y

    In my experience, deals tend to chase money. So I started positioning myself as the money several years ago. Even if I'm raising capital, I control the money. Over time, I developed a reputation for getting projects done. 

    So today, people send me deals, daily. Only a subset are good enough to meet our criteria, and even then we can only do so many projects at a time. 

    We've developed teams of experts on the ground in different geographies. They're responsible for the execution of the projects.  These people too have become an amazing source of opportunities. So the short answer....

    1) Sent to me.

    2) Sent to me.

    3) Sent to me....

    You get the idea.

  • Investor · Grove, OK · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    HUD & MLS

    Good Exercise

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    11y

    D4$  direct mail @Brandon Turner

  • Real Estate Investor · Prince Geroge's County, MD · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 104 votes
    11y

    Last 5 houses..... 

    #1- From wholesaler in July 

    #2- From wholesaler in May

    #3- MLS (Foreclosure from Freddie) in May

    #4- From wholesaler in May

    #5- MLS (Foreclosure from Freddie) in February

  • Real Estate Agent · Clinton, MD · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Nothing closed yet, but two in the pipeline from absentee owner mailers!

  • Professional · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 34 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Turner:

    Think of your last 5 real estate deals... then let us know: How did you find them? 

    Go! 

    (I'll start: The past 5, all buy and holds, have all been MLS)

    Really? It often seems there isn't that much opportunity for arbitrage going the MLS route as most of the MLS listed properties often sell at or above market value.

  • Investor · Phoenixville, PA · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 11 votes
    11y
    #1 MLS #2 Realtor #3 MLS #4 VA REO website #5 Auction site #6 MLS #7 MLS But now it is getting harder to find deals in MLS
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    The 250 unit I'm closing on in July came through a broker relationship. 

    The 168 unit I closed on two years ago came from a broker relationship. 

    The previous deals were single family homes and came from my single family home agent in DFW who is also my sister. She got them from the MLS.

  • Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
    11y

    first 2 i got from the city thru  repossession from unpaid property tax. next one, county property tax auction, i was the 2nd highest bidder and the first dropped out. 3rd, another tax sale deal. 4th and 5th, bank dropped the lien on both properties and i tracked down the owners to both properties and bought them for pennies on the dollar. right now, working on 2 " driveby's"

  • Investor · Canada · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Hi There, Great thread!

    How do I get on to MLS? Every time I search there I get a "foreclosure fortunes" site!

     Thanks for any help.

    Charline

  • Real Estate Agent · Florence, KY · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    All have been HUD or MLS

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.