How are YOU finding deals?

120 Replies

Promotion
REI Nation
Turnkey Real Estate
Wondering how to safely invest in out-of-state real estate?
This 40-page eBook is your best resource for safe, profitable, passive real estate investing.
Download Now
Originally posted by @Yoochul C. :

two by marriage, moved out of houses owned by each one of us individually and moved into a third primary.  4th and 5th property using a TK in Texas.  All buy and holds.

Yooch

I am interested in TK in Texas. Can I get more information? Like good TK companies etc...Thanks 

I don't have direct access to the MLS...but I do find it interesting that, of the 50 odd deals I analyzed on Realtor.com and Zillow today, the only ones that had ROIs above 10% were already pending. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist, but it would seem some folks have access to critical info before the rest of us.

My most recent is a 276 unit apartment complex, came from a broker relationship.

The next one behind that was a SFR from online auction.

The three previous are all SFR from auctions on the courthouse steps.

Those three channels are where most of my deal flow comes from with wholesalers and MLS rounding out a minority. For some reason I just don't get much traction with direct marketing or Craigslist. :( I've tried both but just don't seem to be as good at it as I am with auctions.

All of these were bought in the last 30 days and will be rehabbed and flipped except the apartment complex. That one will be rehabbed and held.  

My first property off the MLS. The second property was a pocket listing from an agent. Third property, the owner literally came to me and asked me to buy his building.

I am real new to the game but I have 2 places. One im living in for now from craigslist was a rent to own at 1,000 down 500 a month my second place was from an investor that bought the place in front of me needed a little work and he wanted out of it quick. Since the place was right in front of me he came to me and offered it for 9,700 all i could do is rent to own for 200 a month and he went for it. All together I'm paying $49,000 for both places and together they have a market value of $135,000. I think i have done ok so far. My next one that i will work on will be at the court house auction tax deed sales 

3 were direct purchases from the Seller who called me from my Postcard

1 was a website lead from a Google Search

1 was from an Attorney who referred a Broker's Pocket listing

Another good source for my leads lately has been from my own REIA Group that meets for Lunch every other week. I use www.Meetup.com for that.

In my experience, deals tend to chase money. So I started positioning myself as the money several years ago. Even if I'm raising capital, I control the money. Over time, I developed a reputation for getting projects done. 

So today, people send me deals, daily. Only a subset are good enough to meet our criteria, and even then we can only do so many projects at a time. 

We've developed teams of experts on the ground in different geographies. They're responsible for the execution of the projects.  These people too have become an amazing source of opportunities. So the short answer....

1) Sent to me.

2) Sent to me.

3) Sent to me....

You get the idea.

Last 5 houses..... 

#1- From wholesaler in July 

#2- From wholesaler in May

#3- MLS (Foreclosure from Freddie) in May

#4- From wholesaler in May

#5- MLS (Foreclosure from Freddie) in February

Originally posted by @Brandon Turner :

Think of your last 5 real estate deals... then let us know: How did you find them? 

Go! 

(I'll start: The past 5, all buy and holds, have all been MLS)

Really? It often seems there isn't that much opportunity for arbitrage going the MLS route as most of the MLS listed properties often sell at or above market value.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you