How do I determine who the listing agent is?

6 Replies

I get listings from a realtor I have worked with on my last flip. But I have no way of seeing who the listing agent is. Sometimes she is not able to get me info right away (I am not her only client:) and I would like to start making offers directly to the selling agent when necessary. How do I get this info? When I search the listing online I get many different realty sites but no way to tell who is the listing office

So these properties are brought to your attention by your agent, and you want to go around your agent and cut them out of the deal? Doesnt seem all that ethical to me.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635

@Holly Scott

True, when an agent sets up an "email alert" for you, the software usually blocks the selling agent info, and substitutes/emphasizes the "sender" of the email alert.

If you've ended the "buyers' agent" relationship, you might just set up your own email alerts via Redfin.com 

You can there see the Seller's agent within the ad, likely google them and find a phone #.

If you're going to be big time REI, consider getting your own license someday and be your own realtor?

@Holly Scott , I agree with @Russell Brazil . Contact your realtor and let her know that you are interested in making an offer on a property. If she is an investor friendly agent she will be happy to help and will make time for you. If not you should find a new realtor and stop using your current agent's E-elerts to find your deals. 

Jacob Wathen, Real Estate Agent in OR (#201222796)
971-236-3552

@Russell Brazil , I see your point. Guess I hadn't looked at it from that angle. My agent has been pretty awesome and I enjoy working with her. She was my buyers agent on the last house and she listed it for me. I am a repeat customer.

I am in a very hot market and good deals are gone within a day. So it can be highly difficult at times to get our schedules to agree. She may not have time to show me a house, and I lose on the opportunity, and this has happened in the past. I guess I just have to get comfortable with seeing only the outside, or sight unseen offering? As an agent, what do you suggest for investors to do in these situations? 

I currently am going to school for my license. But I will still want someone to write contracts and be my listing agent, as I don't have time (work full time, for now). So I am working ways around this, but doesn't help yet.

Additionally, while I have your attention, how do I breech the subject of perhaps lower commissions, as I am not your typical home buyer. I may buy and sell with an agent many times in one year. I have heard that many investor friendly agents offer discounts to investors for this reason?

BTW, the house I was thinking of when I wrote this post, I did go and look at this morning (outside only, peeking in windows) and had my agent put an offer on. Truly, I just wanted to get into the house before doing so, but that wasn't possible this time. Good thing for due diligence and objections.

The whole system is set up to prevent you from doing exactly what you are attempting to do. I too did not want to pay a fee for every transaction, and I wanted the increased negotiating power that comes with representing myself. Until you get your license, that is unlikely to be the case for you.

That said, I have yet to represent myself. Why? Because I have had a great agent bring me off market deals here in Denver, and I let him represent me because he finds them for me.

@Holly Scott when you get your license you will need to "hang" that license with a broker for at least 2 years. That broker will look over your shoulder while you write your own contracts and list your own properties. What is the point of getting a license if you don't make money at it? If you are buying like you say you are, the agent should have meet you at the property this morning. Just saying.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.