Managing Multiple Properties

7 Replies

Question for all you experts with multiple real estate properties!!!

I'm in the process of buying my third property, and am starting to think about how I can create a holistic financial picture of my entire portfolio (rather than manage each property individually). Does anyone have any tips on how you've done this successfully in the past? I'm talking about things like cash inflows/outflows, tenant & lease terms, home values, etc.  

If this helps, it basically stems from the question I've been mulling over lately, 'if one of my property becomes vacant, how will it impact my other two properties, and how much of the cash flow from the other two properties can I use to offset the costs of the third?' So really focused on financial management across my portfolio here.

Tips / tricks / online tools & platforms / anything else are welcome :)

Thanks!

-Dylan

@Dylan Hoffman I use Quickbooks for the financials.  There is a learning curve, for sure but some sort of financial software is a must.  I've heard of investors using Excel with 100 properties!  That seems chaotic to me but I haven't tried.

For lease details I use excel.  I have all the pertinent information in there.

What I really need to work on is some sort of ticketing system for repairs and small jobs related to the properties.

I don't know that you need to have one thing that does all this for you.  The best software tends to do only one or a few things, but does them well.  The greater the feature set, the less it becomes suited for any one of the features.

I have a spreadsheet like that for my portfolio. It has the LTV of each property (along with the total LTV of the portfolio). In addition it breaks down what the PITI is per property. What the maintenance expenses are per property. (I self manage). Also lists the mechanicals on each property and the year they were installed. Finally, I have the rents on each property and how much rent would need to drop before I would only be able to cover the mortgage. It's a nice risk management tool to have.

I just started with Quickbooks online and I must say that I LOVE it.

It wasn't as much of a learning curve as I expected, and within a few hours I had a full P&L.

Be sure to do a bit of research first on how to set multiple properties. There are a few tricks that definitely help.

@Larry T. Check out Airtable.com for tracking.  It's an online database software that's reminiscent of Excel but you can store attachments and create relationships between data.  Really easy to work with.  

This is how I track my work orders.

@Brad E. Just took a very quick look.  That is an awesome tip.  Thanks!

Rentigo is one of the newer online tools/apps that supports an unlimited number of properties (free). Worth a look if you want a "snapshot" view to help you track rent cycles and vacancies across multiple properties. While not cash flow related its also useful for streamlining tenant communications around maintenance issues, rent collection, etc. 

@Mike McCarthy where you able to get the Classes setup with Online version, and if not how did you go about defining each of your properties/units?

Cheers,
ART

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.