WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

125 Replies

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

I'll start @Brian Burke has taught me a ton about syndications/syndicators (how to structure them, how to vet syndicators, returns, and much more)

@Bernard Reisz a ton about retirement accounts and specifically how they relate to cost segregation

@Michael Skoczylas & @Dave Foster  about 1031s 

So many more. Now your turn. Go.

Thank you @Yonah Weiss .  Right back at you on the cost segregation front.  @Jay Hinrichs never disappoints with his wise old man on the mountain wisdom (although it does bother me that I'm old enough to have lived through his stories of the day).  @Nicholas Aiola still has the record for the longest forum string with his "ask me the CPA anything" thread.  And I don't know what I would do with out @Mindy Jensen helping me navigate all things Bigger Pockets!

Originally posted by @Dave Foster :

Thank you @Yonah Weiss.  Right back at you on the cost segregation front.  @Jay Hinrichs never disappoints with his wise old man on the mountain wisdom (although it does bother me that I'm old enough to have lived through his stories of the day).  @Nicholas Aiola still has the record for the longest forum string with his "ask me the CPA anything" thread.  And I don't know what I would do with out @Mindy Jensen helping me navigate all things Bigger Pockets!

Thanks Dave! I am grateful for all those you mentioned too. What would BP be without Mindy.

@Yonah Weiss This is such an amazing topic to start! First, you for being the #CostSegKing and I learn a ton from you on here and on LinkedIn. 

So, thanks to:

@Jay Hinrichs for his amazing knowledge and expansive view of the industry 

@Steve Vaughan for taking a very common-sense approach at discussions

@Jingwen Dunford for her knowledge and wit for Mobile Home Park investing

@Joe Splitrock for providing a very methodical way of looking at debates on the forum

@Jill F. for her deep knowledge of rentals and providing insightful answers on the forums

@Russell Brazil for his deep understanding of real estate agency laws and the overall industry

@Nicole Heasley for her analytical yet simple way to address debates here on the forums

@Dennis M. for making me laugh until I fall out of my chair with his direct, yet humorous answers

@Brian Burke for being the MF Syndication King, I still read Brian's comments from years back

and to so many more amazing people (sorry if I forgot to include your name above) who contribute to this ever body of knowledge! Thank You :)

I'll second @Jay Hinrichs and @Russell Brazil. I think I've had at least one of them chime in on every question I've ever posted. 

@Ola Dantis you are a rockstar! Your enthusiasm and positivity radiate from everything you do!

@Cameron Tope usually says everything I want to say before I say it on the forums. 

@Alexander Felice has really motivated me to build my personal brand. His advice opened a whole new chapter in my REI career.

@Ben Lynch and his wife Dina have made my landlord life easier with their property management software, RentmindMe! 

Holy crap. I don't think there's enough tags to hit all the people on BP that have helped me in some form or fashion, whether directly or indirectly. Even some of the lunkheads have taught me things about myself :)

Thanks for the plug ola ! I try to do my best to add some light hearted humor to an otherwise serious subject . Seems like every one  of the usual posters on here has helped me in different ways in a relatively short period of time too . Bp is Like having a free master mind of the best in the industry at your disposal 

Originally posted by @Dennis M. :

Bp is Like having a free master mind of the best in the industry at your disposal 

That's a very accurate analogy Dennis. I feel the same way.

On the phone taking a break when I should be working. Sadly, the phone's not good at tagging. I'll be answering this tonight in front of the computer.

@Yonah Weiss Appreciate the honorable mention!

@Costin I. can be relied upon for very thorough analysis and presentation. Always very informative - even if I may not fully agree with everything. :) 

@Jay Hinrichs No-nonsense, hard-hitting, uncommon common-sense.

@Michael Plaks Always ready to provide invaluable insight and practical perspective on tax - and other matters.

@Chris K. Reasonable and grounded legal perspective.

there are the obvious choices.. But I really like the conversations with the 17 year olds or the under 25 group.. those folks to be on this site at their age if they just watch learn and listen they could have just punched their ticket.

for us old folks we had to do apprenticeships.. and or Carlton sheets or Dave Del Dotto  that was the extent of it. 

Its an amazing community with such diverse talents and experiences.. 

Originally posted by @Bill Brandt :

@Dave Foster knows everything about 1031 exchanges. 

@Jay Hinrichs casually mentions golden nuggets like placing an extra washer/dryer in your master closet, or painting your copper pipes white so they look like plastic to fool the thieves. 

Painting the pipes I learned when I started lending money in Detroit.. and they painted them grey to simulate lead pipes I guess.. but white works as well.  the Stackable in the master closet is just personal preference I put those in my personal homes and offer them as upgrades in our new construction

Thank you @Ola Dantis and @Brian Ellis .  Back at ya.

Very grateful to be part of this community,  Some notables I have learned from specifically, but  learn everyday from sometimes surprising people and subjects.  

Some rock stars in their field I have learned a lot from are  @Bill Gulley   @Jerry W. @Dave Foster    @Jim K. @Ashish Acharya   @Brian Gibbons   @JD Martin @Joe Splitrock @Russell Brazil    to name a few.

Many more I'll just go ahead and pre-apologize for missing here ;)

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

On the phone taking a break when I should be working. Sadly, the phone's not good at tagging. I'll be answering this tonight in front of the computer.

It's terrible at tagging (and several other functions). I wish they'd fix it. 

@Jay Hinrichs that painting trick is brilliant. When I was looking to buy a house in Metro Detroit in the winter of 2008/2009 - many of the homes were missing all of the piping- the owners should have listened to you. 

Thank you @Yonah Weiss for your encouragement and your insight. This BP is an unbelievable resource and I love learning from the legends - and helping others whenever I can. 

Originally posted by @Ryan Proffit :

@Jay Hinrichs the pipe painting is solid gold. I will have to remember this.

AGAIN I take no credit for the original idea .. when I was touring the turn key companies rehabs I just notice them painting the pipes in the basement and inquired why ? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you