WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

Yonah WeissPro Member
Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

16Reply
343 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y

I almost didn't respond to this thread out of fear I would forget mentioning someone important. I guarantee that I did, but in no particular order...

@Ola Dantis thanks for the mention. I do love to debate on the forums. I have actually found myself arguing both sides of an issue at different times. The only way to truly grow is to challenge your beliefs continuously. You are a positive thinker and continuous contributor, thanks!

@Thomas S is just a memory at this point, as we seem to have lost him this year. Although his sociopath behavior sometimes drove me nuts, he made me understand the difference between being a "hobby landlord" and a "business owner".

@Russell Brazil I have learned a ton and we have had a few laughs. Anything realtor related, I tag him and let him drop truth bombs. 

@Steve Vaughan was one of the first people I connected with on here. So down to earth and wicked smart. Steve learned everything in the trenches and very humble. I bought a new car this year and as I signed the paperwork, I thought to myself, "Steve would not approve", haha.

@Mindy Jensen is a true asset to BiggerPockets and this forum community. She always stands behind her mods. Bringing her FI expertise to the Money Podcast has been great addition. It was great meeting you at the BP Conference!

@JD Martin is living proof that you don't need to syndicate 3000 doors to be successful in real estate. Maybe some day we can put an end to single family home shaming. Or start a support group. "My name is Joe and I only invest in single family homes."

@Jay Hinrichs I am continually surprised by all the experiences you share. You are a good reminder to me that, "I don't know what I don't know". I like it when you challenge my thinking, because odds are good I am wrong, haha. 

@Ben Leybovich an old school BP classic with wisdom is all over the forums. I like that you drop in to the forums to add to the discussions. Others that have moved up the "real estate food chain" have long left the forums. Thanks for keeping it real.

@Jim K. I love talking DIY with you and I do appreciate your sense of humor. I am not sure anyone could stump you with a repair or remodel question.

@James Wise is a master in self promotion and managing large volumes of properties. Next time you ask, "how much damage can a bad tenant really do" make sure you ask James to share some photos. Also great work on the documentary and exposing bad actors in this business.

@Nathan Gesner great voice for property management related questions. I have learned lots of great tips and will use you as a sounding board any time I need credible advice. I really enjoyed meeting you at the BP conference and thanks for hanging with me!

@Shiloh Lundahl I love what you are doing with lease to own and how you have grown your business while pursuing a full time career. It hits home with me, the balance of career, investing and family. It was great meeting you at the BP conference and I always like reading your thoughts in the forums.

@Natalie Kolodij I love it when you weigh in on any CPA or tax question. It is always smart and practical advice. Taxes are a landlords largest expense and way too many landlords are hacking their way through without a clue.

@Joel Owens anything commercial related. I love learning about this aspect of real estate and you are always there to teach me.

@Will Barnard I have read great posts from you on a variety of subjects and love that you speak from experience. You set me straight a couple times and that is a good thing.

@Dennis M. I appreciate the humor although as a moderator you challenge my, "did he cross the line" decision making skills regularly. 

@Steve K. the solar expert from Bolder, who I can't tag for some reason. We seem to think alike on topics and I always enjoy chatting with you.

@J Scott I am not sure what the secret is to tagging you. Great insight and great books. You are a true thinker and not just an information recycler.

@Ned Carey I love your down to earth responses and advice. You are one of the moderator power houses.

@Alexander Felice simply put "broke is a choice" and anyone who doesn't agree with that statement will never succeed financially. I was great meeting you at the BP Conference and I completely admire your social media skills. I hope your move is going well!

@Nicole A. fellow mod and strong female investor voice, always like your advice.

@Dawn Brenengen good realtor voice on the forums, strong female voice and fellow mod.

@Chris Mason anything lending related you always help clear it up. And thanks for being a fellow moderator.

@Greg H. I always trust your input in a discussion and thanks as a fellow moderator.

@Joshua D. none of this would be possible without your vision. Good luck on your new podcast and I will be sure to listen. 

@Brandon Turner it would take me years to consume all the educational material you have produced. I love your books and the podcast, thanks!

@Ryan Murdock you are a power house! It was nice meeting you at the BP Conference on the elevator. I hope at the next conference we have more time to talk. 

@Scott Trench here is the future success of BiggerPockets under your great leadership. It is always interesting to read your perspective on things in the forums. 

I am thankful to be a part of this organization in my small role as a moderator. Again sorry for those people that I forgot to mention or had trouble finding as I tried to tag them.

See this reply in the discussion

125 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I'll start @Brian Burke has taught me a ton about syndications/syndicators (how to structure them, how to vet syndicators, returns, and much more)

    @Bernard Reisz a ton about retirement accounts and specifically how they relate to cost segregation

    @Michael Skoczylas & @Dave Foster about 1031s 

    So many more. Now your turn. Go.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Thank you @Yonah Weiss.  Right back at you on the cost segregation front.  @Jay Hinrichs never disappoints with his wise old man on the mountain wisdom (although it does bother me that I'm old enough to have lived through his stories of the day).  @Nicholas Aiola still has the record for the longest forum string with his "ask me the CPA anything" thread.  And I don't know what I would do with out @Mindy Jensen helping me navigate all things Bigger Pockets!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dave Foster:

    Thank you @Yonah Weiss.  Right back at you on the cost segregation front.  @Jay Hinrichs never disappoints with his wise old man on the mountain wisdom (although it does bother me that I'm old enough to have lived through his stories of the day).  @Nicholas Aiola still has the record for the longest forum string with his "ask me the CPA anything" thread.  And I don't know what I would do with out @Mindy Jensen helping me navigate all things Bigger Pockets!

     Thanks Dave! I am grateful for all those you mentioned too. What would BP be without Mindy.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss This is such an amazing topic to start! First, you for being the #CostSegKing and I learn a ton from you on here and on LinkedIn. 

    So, thanks to:

    @Jay Hinrichs for his amazing knowledge and expansive view of the industry 

    @Steve Vaughan for taking a very common-sense approach at discussions

    @Charlotte Dunford for her knowledge and wit for Mobile Home Park investing

    @Joe Splitrock for providing a very methodical way of looking at debates on the forum

    @Jill F. for her deep knowledge of rentals and providing insightful answers on the forums

    @Russell Brazil for his deep understanding of real estate agency laws and the overall industry

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman for her analytical yet simple way to address debates here on the forums

    @Dennis M. for making me laugh until I fall out of my chair with his direct, yet humorous answers

    @Brian Burke for being the MF Syndication King, I still read Brian's comments from years back

    and to so many more amazing people (sorry if I forgot to include your name above) who contribute to this ever body of knowledge! Thank You :)

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Thanks @Ola Dantis! That is a robust list of awesome folks!

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I'll second @Jay Hinrichs and @Russell Brazil. I think I've had at least one of them chime in on every question I've ever posted. 

    @Ola Dantis you are a rockstar! Your enthusiasm and positivity radiate from everything you do!

    @Cameron Tope usually says everything I want to say before I say it on the forums. 

    @Alexander Felice has really motivated me to build my personal brand. His advice opened a whole new chapter in my REI career.

    @Ben Lynch and his wife Dina have made my landlord life easier with their property management software, RentmindMe! 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    Holy crap. I don't think there's enough tags to hit all the people on BP that have helped me in some form or fashion, whether directly or indirectly. Even some of the lunkheads have taught me things about myself :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Thanks for the plug ola ! I try to do my best to add some light hearted humor to an otherwise serious subject . Seems like every one  of the usual posters on here has helped me in different ways in a relatively short period of time too . Bp is Like having a free master mind of the best in the industry at your disposal 

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @JD Martin @Steve Vaughan @Jim K. @Dan H. @Philip Ganz @Randy E. 

    To name a few, I appreciate all the help! And to everyone else that has helped me along the way.

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:

    Bp is Like having a free master mind of the best in the industry at your disposal 

    That's a very accurate analogy Dennis. I feel the same way.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    6y

    Too many to mention all but the top three would have to be @Bill Gulley, @Jay Hinrichs and @Jon Holdman  simply based on the quality of their posts and their prolific posting.  Again though - almost countless others should/could make the list

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    On the phone taking a break when I should be working. Sadly, the phone's not good at tagging. I'll be answering this tonight in front of the computer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sylvania, OH · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Nicole Heasley Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so thankful for your support as well!

  • Bernard ReiszPro Member
    CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss Appreciate the honorable mention!

    @Costin I. can be relied upon for very thorough analysis and presentation. Always very informative - even if I may not fully agree with everything. :) 

    @Jay Hinrichs No-nonsense, hard-hitting, uncommon common-sense.

    @Michael Plaks Always ready to provide invaluable insight and practical perspective on tax - and other matters.

    @Chris K. Reasonable and grounded legal perspective.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y

    there are the obvious choices.. But I really like the conversations with the 17 year olds or the under 25 group.. those folks to be on this site at their age if they just watch learn and listen they could have just punched their ticket.

    for us old folks we had to do apprenticeships.. and or Carlton sheets or Dave Del Dotto  that was the extent of it. 

    Its an amazing community with such diverse talents and experiences.. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster knows everything about 1031 exchanges. 

    @Jay Hinrichs casually mentions golden nuggets like placing an extra washer/dryer in your master closet, or painting your copper pipes white so they look like plastic to fool the thieves. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bill B.:

    @Dave Foster knows everything about 1031 exchanges. 

    @Jay Hinrichs casually mentions golden nuggets like placing an extra washer/dryer in your master closet, or painting your copper pipes white so they look like plastic to fool the thieves. 

    Painting the pipes I learned when I started lending money in Detroit.. and they painted them grey to simulate lead pipes I guess.. but white works as well.  the Stackable in the master closet is just personal preference I put those in my personal homes and offer them as upgrades in our new construction

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    Thank you @Ola Dantis and @Brian Ellis .  Back at ya.

    Very grateful to be part of this community,  Some notables I have learned from specifically, but  learn everyday from sometimes surprising people and subjects.  

    Some rock stars in their field I have learned a lot from are  @Bill Gulley  @Jerry W. @Dave Foster   @Jim K. @Ashish Acharya  @Brian Gibbons  @JD Martin @Joe Splitrock @Russell Brazil   to name a few.

    Many more I'll just go ahead and pre-apologize for missing here ;)

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    On the phone taking a break when I should be working. Sadly, the phone's not good at tagging. I'll be answering this tonight in front of the computer.

     It's terrible at tagging (and several other functions). I wish they'd fix it. 

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2017 · 190 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    @Brian Ellis  is the greatest.

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs the pipe painting is solid gold. I will have to remember this.

  • Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs that painting trick is brilliant. When I was looking to buy a house in Metro Detroit in the winter of 2008/2009 - many of the homes were missing all of the piping- the owners should have listened to you. 

    Thank you @Yonah Weiss for your encouragement and your insight. This BP is an unbelievable resource and I love learning from the legends - and helping others whenever I can. 

  • Nicholas AiolaBusiness Member
    CPA & Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster  thanks for the mention! Just trying to keep up with you in terms of value provided to the BP community :)

    Aiola CPA, PLLC551 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Proffit:

    @Jay Hinrichs the pipe painting is solid gold. I will have to remember this.

    AGAIN I take no credit for the original idea .. when I was touring the turn key companies rehabs I just notice them painting the pipes in the basement and inquired why ? 

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Aiola:

    @Dave Foster  thanks for the mention! Just trying to keep up with you in terms of value provided to the BP community :)

     Nick you seriously should get a special award for having the longest consistent active post like 2 years already! @Mindy Jensen what can we do about this?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.