WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

Yonah WeissPro Member
Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

16Reply
339 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y

I almost didn't respond to this thread out of fear I would forget mentioning someone important. I guarantee that I did, but in no particular order...

@Ola Dantis thanks for the mention. I do love to debate on the forums. I have actually found myself arguing both sides of an issue at different times. The only way to truly grow is to challenge your beliefs continuously. You are a positive thinker and continuous contributor, thanks!

@Thomas S is just a memory at this point, as we seem to have lost him this year. Although his sociopath behavior sometimes drove me nuts, he made me understand the difference between being a "hobby landlord" and a "business owner".

@Russell Brazil I have learned a ton and we have had a few laughs. Anything realtor related, I tag him and let him drop truth bombs. 

@Steve Vaughan was one of the first people I connected with on here. So down to earth and wicked smart. Steve learned everything in the trenches and very humble. I bought a new car this year and as I signed the paperwork, I thought to myself, "Steve would not approve", haha.

@Mindy Jensen is a true asset to BiggerPockets and this forum community. She always stands behind her mods. Bringing her FI expertise to the Money Podcast has been great addition. It was great meeting you at the BP Conference!

@JD Martin is living proof that you don't need to syndicate 3000 doors to be successful in real estate. Maybe some day we can put an end to single family home shaming. Or start a support group. "My name is Joe and I only invest in single family homes."

@Jay Hinrichs I am continually surprised by all the experiences you share. You are a good reminder to me that, "I don't know what I don't know". I like it when you challenge my thinking, because odds are good I am wrong, haha. 

@Ben Leybovich an old school BP classic with wisdom is all over the forums. I like that you drop in to the forums to add to the discussions. Others that have moved up the "real estate food chain" have long left the forums. Thanks for keeping it real.

@Jim K. I love talking DIY with you and I do appreciate your sense of humor. I am not sure anyone could stump you with a repair or remodel question.

@James Wise is a master in self promotion and managing large volumes of properties. Next time you ask, "how much damage can a bad tenant really do" make sure you ask James to share some photos. Also great work on the documentary and exposing bad actors in this business.

@Nathan Gesner great voice for property management related questions. I have learned lots of great tips and will use you as a sounding board any time I need credible advice. I really enjoyed meeting you at the BP conference and thanks for hanging with me!

@Shiloh Lundahl I love what you are doing with lease to own and how you have grown your business while pursuing a full time career. It hits home with me, the balance of career, investing and family. It was great meeting you at the BP conference and I always like reading your thoughts in the forums.

@Natalie Kolodij I love it when you weigh in on any CPA or tax question. It is always smart and practical advice. Taxes are a landlords largest expense and way too many landlords are hacking their way through without a clue.

@Joel Owens anything commercial related. I love learning about this aspect of real estate and you are always there to teach me.

@Will Barnard I have read great posts from you on a variety of subjects and love that you speak from experience. You set me straight a couple times and that is a good thing.

@Dennis M. I appreciate the humor although as a moderator you challenge my, "did he cross the line" decision making skills regularly. 

@Steve K. the solar expert from Bolder, who I can't tag for some reason. We seem to think alike on topics and I always enjoy chatting with you.

@J Scott I am not sure what the secret is to tagging you. Great insight and great books. You are a true thinker and not just an information recycler.

@Ned Carey I love your down to earth responses and advice. You are one of the moderator power houses.

@Alexander Felice simply put "broke is a choice" and anyone who doesn't agree with that statement will never succeed financially. I was great meeting you at the BP Conference and I completely admire your social media skills. I hope your move is going well!

@Nicole A. fellow mod and strong female investor voice, always like your advice.

@Dawn Brenengen good realtor voice on the forums, strong female voice and fellow mod.

@Chris Mason anything lending related you always help clear it up. And thanks for being a fellow moderator.

@Greg H. I always trust your input in a discussion and thanks as a fellow moderator.

@Joshua D. none of this would be possible without your vision. Good luck on your new podcast and I will be sure to listen. 

@Brandon Turner it would take me years to consume all the educational material you have produced. I love your books and the podcast, thanks!

@Ryan Murdock you are a power house! It was nice meeting you at the BP Conference on the elevator. I hope at the next conference we have more time to talk. 

@Scott Trench here is the future success of BiggerPockets under your great leadership. It is always interesting to read your perspective on things in the forums. 

I am thankful to be a part of this organization in my small role as a moderator. Again sorry for those people that I forgot to mention or had trouble finding as I tried to tag them.

See this reply in the discussion

125 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2015 · 400 posts · 432 votes
    6y

    @Darren Sager for being a great friend and mentor over the past two years, whether he knows it or not. 

    @Dave Van Horn for bringing people together at his events. Writing his book and leaving bread crumbs for other investors to follow. And also being so generous about his time. 

    @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. for using the platform to educate others and bring awesome guests on the podcast, this has truly been the difference maker in my career. 

    @J Scott for writing the book on flipping and estimating rehab costs. These two books really taught me everything at the beginning of my career. 

    @Mindy Jensen for being an amazing community manager, writing an amazing book to help with my real estate clients on how to sell their home! 

    And the list goes on and on, BP is the best place to be for Real Estate, bar none. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Centralia, WA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 85 votes
    6y

    @Dennis M.

    Shout out to you for your replies, both humorous and instructive.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    No one has yet mentioned @J Scott (who has the most untag-able name.) Every time I listened to him I was awed by his diverse knowledge of business and finance. I regret not spending more time with him when he was in my area. 

     Ned!!!  Thank you so much...this means so much coming from you...  Sorry we didn't get to partner more before I left town!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    I almost didn't respond to this thread out of fear I would forget mentioning someone important. I guarantee that I did, but in no particular order...

    @Ola Dantis thanks for the mention. I do love to debate on the forums. I have actually found myself arguing both sides of an issue at different times. The only way to truly grow is to challenge your beliefs continuously. You are a positive thinker and continuous contributor, thanks!

    @Thomas S is just a memory at this point, as we seem to have lost him this year. Although his sociopath behavior sometimes drove me nuts, he made me understand the difference between being a "hobby landlord" and a "business owner".

    @Russell Brazil I have learned a ton and we have had a few laughs. Anything realtor related, I tag him and let him drop truth bombs. 

    @Steve Vaughan was one of the first people I connected with on here. So down to earth and wicked smart. Steve learned everything in the trenches and very humble. I bought a new car this year and as I signed the paperwork, I thought to myself, "Steve would not approve", haha.

    @Mindy Jensen is a true asset to BiggerPockets and this forum community. She always stands behind her mods. Bringing her FI expertise to the Money Podcast has been great addition. It was great meeting you at the BP Conference!

    @JD Martin is living proof that you don't need to syndicate 3000 doors to be successful in real estate. Maybe some day we can put an end to single family home shaming. Or start a support group. "My name is Joe and I only invest in single family homes."

    @Jay Hinrichs I am continually surprised by all the experiences you share. You are a good reminder to me that, "I don't know what I don't know". I like it when you challenge my thinking, because odds are good I am wrong, haha. 

    @Ben Leybovich an old school BP classic with wisdom is all over the forums. I like that you drop in to the forums to add to the discussions. Others that have moved up the "real estate food chain" have long left the forums. Thanks for keeping it real.

    @Jim K. I love talking DIY with you and I do appreciate your sense of humor. I am not sure anyone could stump you with a repair or remodel question.

    @James Wise is a master in self promotion and managing large volumes of properties. Next time you ask, "how much damage can a bad tenant really do" make sure you ask James to share some photos. Also great work on the documentary and exposing bad actors in this business.

    @Nathan Gesner great voice for property management related questions. I have learned lots of great tips and will use you as a sounding board any time I need credible advice. I really enjoyed meeting you at the BP conference and thanks for hanging with me!

    @Shiloh Lundahl I love what you are doing with lease to own and how you have grown your business while pursuing a full time career. It hits home with me, the balance of career, investing and family. It was great meeting you at the BP conference and I always like reading your thoughts in the forums.

    @Natalie Kolodij I love it when you weigh in on any CPA or tax question. It is always smart and practical advice. Taxes are a landlords largest expense and way too many landlords are hacking their way through without a clue.

    @Joel Owens anything commercial related. I love learning about this aspect of real estate and you are always there to teach me.

    @Will Barnard I have read great posts from you on a variety of subjects and love that you speak from experience. You set me straight a couple times and that is a good thing.

    @Dennis M. I appreciate the humor although as a moderator you challenge my, "did he cross the line" decision making skills regularly. 

    @Steve K. the solar expert from Bolder, who I can't tag for some reason. We seem to think alike on topics and I always enjoy chatting with you.

    @J Scott I am not sure what the secret is to tagging you. Great insight and great books. You are a true thinker and not just an information recycler.

    @Ned Carey I love your down to earth responses and advice. You are one of the moderator power houses.

    @Alexander Felice simply put "broke is a choice" and anyone who doesn't agree with that statement will never succeed financially. I was great meeting you at the BP Conference and I completely admire your social media skills. I hope your move is going well!

    @Nicole A. fellow mod and strong female investor voice, always like your advice.

    @Dawn Brenengen good realtor voice on the forums, strong female voice and fellow mod.

    @Chris Mason anything lending related you always help clear it up. And thanks for being a fellow moderator.

    @Greg H. I always trust your input in a discussion and thanks as a fellow moderator.

    @Joshua D. none of this would be possible without your vision. Good luck on your new podcast and I will be sure to listen. 

    @Brandon Turner it would take me years to consume all the educational material you have produced. I love your books and the podcast, thanks!

    @Ryan Murdock you are a power house! It was nice meeting you at the BP Conference on the elevator. I hope at the next conference we have more time to talk. 

    @Scott Trench here is the future success of BiggerPockets under your great leadership. It is always interesting to read your perspective on things in the forums. 

    I am thankful to be a part of this organization in my small role as a moderator. Again sorry for those people that I forgot to mention or had trouble finding as I tried to tag them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Desert ca · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 72 votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss so many people !!!!!

  • New to Real Estate · Covington, GA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs deserves a lot of credit here.  Always humble, excellent podcast, and took time from his busy schedule to help me out. 

  • Lender · Farmington, CT · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 321 votes
    6y

    I will always be very grateful for the time and knowledge shared by @Michael Noto. he helped me early on and now i have dedicated a lot of time doing the same thing for new investors. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y

    @Wayne Brooks. Fla.  real estate foreclosure and tax sale expert. Cut from the no bs cloth

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I must give a shout out to @Daniel Hyman who was the one who really pushed me to post consistently in the forums. I knew about BP for a couple of years, but he is to blame, lol, for me posting. Thank you Daniel!

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss 

    You have provided incredible cost seg content here on BP for a long time now. Keep up all the great work!

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 315 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Trey Knight:

    @Jay Hinrichs deserves a lot of credit here.  Always humble, excellent podcast, and took time from his busy schedule to help me out. 

    @Jay Hinrichs has a podcast?

  • New to Real Estate · Covington, GA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 26 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:
    Originally posted by @Trey Knight:

    @Jay Hinrichs deserves a lot of credit here.  Always humble, excellent podcast, and took time from his busy schedule to help me out. 

    @Jay Hinrichs has a podcast?

    Well he was a guest for Bigger Pockets real estate podcast.  But that's a great idea.  Jay you need a podcast brother. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Tom Rutkowski has gone to great lengths to educate me on whole life, universal, and indexed universal life insurance policies. He has some great discussions here on BP and will go out of his way to set up lengthy 1 on 1 calls and emails to explain further. He’s made himself available to any questions I’ve had and certainly deserves mentioning here.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Thank you very much for the kind words @Ryan Deasy

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Joe Splitrock - thanks for the kind words. Although, you did refer to me as "old school", which did reaffirm in my mind that I am old, but I do appreciate the words :)

    I do still come back, though much more rarely than in the past. The funny thing, though, is that 90% of the people I speak to in real life (not online) originated as acquaintances here. 

    Beyond that, the other week a door handle in my Tesla needed work, and they sent a guy to my house. So, he was sitting there, working, listening to the BP podcast. I told him my name - he lost it...

    BP's reach is astonishing!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 57 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Brian Burke - Being newer to BP, I've already seen his name a few times. I'm taking the beginning steps in the syndication world and Brain has already added an immense amount of value. I perfect example of how beneficial this network of individuals can be. 

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss learned from podcasts more than anything, the majority of the people here on the forums criticize more than help....

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    6y

    Especially relevant for BP members here in NC: a shoutout to @Chris Martin  His analyses of the local markets are extremely thorough.  A huge resource

  • Investor · Jericho, NY · Member since 2015 · 171 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss great thread...

    @Brandon Turner and @Joshua Dorkin for creating this amazing platform to educate others.

    Some of the great deals that i bought from marketplace.

    @Thomas Rutkowski for explaining life insurance related things to me.

    @Brian Adams great inspirational multifamily related posts.

    Numerous content on the forums...

  • Rental Property Investor · East Haven, CT · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Tom Rutkowski set up a high cash value indexed universal life insurance policy for me for the express purpose of real estate investing. He hand-held me through the process and was patient enough to explain the concepts numerous times until I finally got it. This year, I was able to use the line of credit secured against the cash value of my life insurance policy to successfully acquire a duplex, a SFH, and pay off my auto loan. I am particularly proud of my duplex which is producing cash on cash returns of over 19% after rehab. I intend to increase my contribution to the policy next year since the interest rate on the line of credit has actually DECREASED to 4.75% from 5% (based on prime).

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Oh what a great idea for a thread. Thank y'all that mentioned

    me. This community has inspired me and supported and encouraged me as

    we've struggled through our start up phase. I am having trouble getting the @ thing to work again :(

    @Jim K.  for his poetry and vast vast knowledge of diy, affordable housing

    @Ola Dantis for creative threads that elicit interesting discussions

    @Deanna McCormmick for thoughtful informed answers

    @Michaela G. for inspirational, creative ways to make money in real estate.

    @Jay Hinrichs for his vast knowledge bigger picture view of the world

    @Joe Splitrock for the post that I'm certain will save me from the disaster tenants if  it hasn't already

    @JD Martin perseverence, ethics

    @James Wise for reminding, reminding and reminding me more to watch out for savages

    @Michele and Bruce Fischer whose podcast inspired me to try affordable rentals

    @Scott Mac
    @Mindy Jensen an inspiration to women in real estate
    @Nicole Heasley
    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    @Russell Brazil

    @Brian Ploszay

    @Steve K

    @Marc Winters

    @Michael Ealy An inspiring story and huge inspiration to think BIGGER

    @Dennis M. Always practical advice delivered with humor and wit. 

    And so so so many more!!!! (I'm sad I can't get the @ sign to work on everyone)

  • Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
    6y


    @Mike Dymski helped me get into my first syndication, he's the one that's helped me the most.  Always has good insights.

    I also got a lot of out of @Scott Trench's book, it was excellent.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    me: WOW! buncha sycophants in here. disgusting!  

    also me, 

    @Jay Hinrichs tops my list for sure. After 5 years of listening to him talk every day, he still provides unique perspective nearly every post. Very hard to predict, that's valuable to me. 

    @Lee Huffman my first real estate mentor and now close friend

    @J Scott Too humble for his own good and a fantastic contributor 

    @Mindy Jensen who I would be nothing without

    and many others that deserve to be mentioned but I won't give them the satisfaction.

    Also anyone that said my name is definitely doomed lol 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Hollister:

    @Darren Sager for being a great friend and mentor over the past two years, whether he knows it or not. 

    @Dave Van Horn for bringing people together at his events. Writing his book and leaving bread crumbs for other investors to follow. And also being so generous about his time. 

    @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. for using the platform to educate others and bring awesome guests on the podcast, this has truly been the difference maker in my career. 

    @J Scott for writing the book on flipping and estimating rehab costs. These two books really taught me everything at the beginning of my career. 

    @Mindy Jensen for being an amazing community manager, writing an amazing book to help with my real estate clients on how to sell their home! 

    And the list goes on and on, BP is the best place to be for Real Estate, bar none. 

     Id like to know why Scott is able to tag J Scott but Ned and I cant?

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Taylor:


    @Mike Dymski helped me get into my first syndication, he's the one that's helped me the most.  Always has good insights.

    I also got a lot of out of @Scott Trench's book, it was excellent.

    I should have listed @Mike Dymski too

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.