WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

Yonah WeissPro Member
Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

16Reply
332 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y

I almost didn't respond to this thread out of fear I would forget mentioning someone important. I guarantee that I did, but in no particular order...

@Ola Dantis thanks for the mention. I do love to debate on the forums. I have actually found myself arguing both sides of an issue at different times. The only way to truly grow is to challenge your beliefs continuously. You are a positive thinker and continuous contributor, thanks!

@Thomas S is just a memory at this point, as we seem to have lost him this year. Although his sociopath behavior sometimes drove me nuts, he made me understand the difference between being a "hobby landlord" and a "business owner".

@Russell Brazil I have learned a ton and we have had a few laughs. Anything realtor related, I tag him and let him drop truth bombs. 

@Steve Vaughan was one of the first people I connected with on here. So down to earth and wicked smart. Steve learned everything in the trenches and very humble. I bought a new car this year and as I signed the paperwork, I thought to myself, "Steve would not approve", haha.

@Mindy Jensen is a true asset to BiggerPockets and this forum community. She always stands behind her mods. Bringing her FI expertise to the Money Podcast has been great addition. It was great meeting you at the BP Conference!

@JD Martin is living proof that you don't need to syndicate 3000 doors to be successful in real estate. Maybe some day we can put an end to single family home shaming. Or start a support group. "My name is Joe and I only invest in single family homes."

@Jay Hinrichs I am continually surprised by all the experiences you share. You are a good reminder to me that, "I don't know what I don't know". I like it when you challenge my thinking, because odds are good I am wrong, haha. 

@Ben Leybovich an old school BP classic with wisdom is all over the forums. I like that you drop in to the forums to add to the discussions. Others that have moved up the "real estate food chain" have long left the forums. Thanks for keeping it real.

@Jim K. I love talking DIY with you and I do appreciate your sense of humor. I am not sure anyone could stump you with a repair or remodel question.

@James Wise is a master in self promotion and managing large volumes of properties. Next time you ask, "how much damage can a bad tenant really do" make sure you ask James to share some photos. Also great work on the documentary and exposing bad actors in this business.

@Nathan Gesner great voice for property management related questions. I have learned lots of great tips and will use you as a sounding board any time I need credible advice. I really enjoyed meeting you at the BP conference and thanks for hanging with me!

@Shiloh Lundahl I love what you are doing with lease to own and how you have grown your business while pursuing a full time career. It hits home with me, the balance of career, investing and family. It was great meeting you at the BP conference and I always like reading your thoughts in the forums.

@Natalie Kolodij I love it when you weigh in on any CPA or tax question. It is always smart and practical advice. Taxes are a landlords largest expense and way too many landlords are hacking their way through without a clue.

@Joel Owens anything commercial related. I love learning about this aspect of real estate and you are always there to teach me.

@Will Barnard I have read great posts from you on a variety of subjects and love that you speak from experience. You set me straight a couple times and that is a good thing.

@Dennis M. I appreciate the humor although as a moderator you challenge my, "did he cross the line" decision making skills regularly. 

@Steve K. the solar expert from Bolder, who I can't tag for some reason. We seem to think alike on topics and I always enjoy chatting with you.

@J Scott I am not sure what the secret is to tagging you. Great insight and great books. You are a true thinker and not just an information recycler.

@Ned Carey I love your down to earth responses and advice. You are one of the moderator power houses.

@Alexander Felice simply put "broke is a choice" and anyone who doesn't agree with that statement will never succeed financially. I was great meeting you at the BP Conference and I completely admire your social media skills. I hope your move is going well!

@Nicole A. fellow mod and strong female investor voice, always like your advice.

@Dawn Brenengen good realtor voice on the forums, strong female voice and fellow mod.

@Chris Mason anything lending related you always help clear it up. And thanks for being a fellow moderator.

@Greg H. I always trust your input in a discussion and thanks as a fellow moderator.

@Joshua D. none of this would be possible without your vision. Good luck on your new podcast and I will be sure to listen. 

@Brandon Turner it would take me years to consume all the educational material you have produced. I love your books and the podcast, thanks!

@Ryan Murdock you are a power house! It was nice meeting you at the BP Conference on the elevator. I hope at the next conference we have more time to talk. 

@Scott Trench here is the future success of BiggerPockets under your great leadership. It is always interesting to read your perspective on things in the forums. 

I am thankful to be a part of this organization in my small role as a moderator. Again sorry for those people that I forgot to mention or had trouble finding as I tried to tag them.

See this reply in the discussion

125 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Scott Hollister:

    @Darren Sager for being a great friend and mentor over the past two years, whether he knows it or not. 

    @Dave Van Horn for bringing people together at his events. Writing his book and leaving bread crumbs for other investors to follow. And also being so generous about his time. 

    @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. for using the platform to educate others and bring awesome guests on the podcast, this has truly been the difference maker in my career. 

    @J Scott for writing the book on flipping and estimating rehab costs. These two books really taught me everything at the beginning of my career. 

    @Mindy Jensen for being an amazing community manager, writing an amazing book to help with my real estate clients on how to sell their home! 

    And the list goes on and on, BP is the best place to be for Real Estate, bar none. 

     Id like to know why Scott is able to tag J Scott but Ned and I cant?

    The tagging on this forum is kind of broke, but the workaround I've found is to search for a post where someone has already tagged them, copy that, and then paste it into your own post.  That workaround does work.  

    @Jill F. I think this will work for your post as well for all the people the tagging wouldn't work on.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs for basically being the ultimate real estate expert personified. Is there anything you haven't done? I love your delivery as well, just stating how it is based on your (immense) experience, no ego involved, never looking down from your high horse even though you're on the highest horse, when it comes to wisdom you dispense on here it's truly invaluable. Please don't ever stop. 

    @Joe Splitrock for the encouragement and for being so darn reasonable all the time

    @Mindy Jensen for expert local insight, knowledge, and mediation skills 

    @Bill F. for getting me out of my echo-chamber and teaching me how to "win every argument"

    @Jim K.for somehow managing to mix things like Greek mythology and McRibs into otherwise boring real estate talk. Thanks for keeping it interesting Jim

    @Mike Dymski for providing consistently concise, brutally true and remarkably witty comments. Also for calling me out on being a whimp and forcing me to make an offer on that 6-plex I was whining about last summer. In just a few sentences you told me just what I needed to hear.

    @Tyler Jahnke for almost single-handedly exposing what may be one of the biggest scams in the industry today with his "MI case study 2.0" thread, which prevented others from being scammed. Also for setting a great example with his resiliency and ability to move beyond that episode in an amazing and truly inspirational way that only increased his success.  

    @James Wise for his coverage of above-mentioned scam, and for keeping it real in general. 

    @Son D., @Brian Freeman , @Colin Zhu, @Ross Denman, @Todd Burton and many others who provided insider knowledge about the same scam, undoubtedly preventing many more people from being scammed by coming public with what they knew

    @Dave Foster for answering my 1031 questions

    @Chris Lopez for all things Denver-related

    @Russell Brazil for dropping lots of solid knowledge about being an RE agent (btw do you have solar panels on your roof yet?)

    @Nathan G. for dropping lots of solid knowledge about property management 

    @Matthew Paul for dropping lots of solid knowledge about contracting

    @JD Martin for a great common-sense, light-hearted approach and for toning down the crazies

    @Caleb Heimsoth for representing the young bucks

    My tagging has stopped working, so I have to go to bed, sorry to anyone I left out who has helped me, I know there are many more. 

    Perhaps what I like best about this community is it gets people talking together who normally wouldn't be. It helps a lot that no politics are allowed and moderators are in the room. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Salvo, NC · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Avery Carl for getting me into the Airbnb game and @Parker Borofsky for making it happen financially.  Appreciate the help and push :)

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Ellis @Steve Vaughan @Bryan Clement @Russell Brazil @Kyle J. @Jim K. @Joe Splitrock @Jill F. @Steve K. I am humbled at the recognition - thanks all and I appreciate all of you as well :)

    Now I feel kind of lazy not having called anyone out, so in addition to those above, I will mention:

    @Dawn Brenengen @Nicole A. @Mike Dymski @Jay Hinrichs @Mindy Jensen @Natalie Kolodij @Linda Weygant among others who I enjoy their insight and counsel. But of course this list can never really be complete, because it's constantly being added to :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    @Ryan Murdock @Shiloh Lundahl 

    OK, the tagging is haywire this morning. So I will have to do 10 posts obviously.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    @Jerry W. @Austin Fruechting @Mike Cumbie @Julie Marquez @Anthony Gayden @Joshua D.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jill F.:
    Originally posted by @Aaron Taylor:


    @Mike Dymski helped me get into my first syndication, he's the one that's helped me the most.  Always has good insights.

    I also got a lot of out of @Scott Trench's book, it was excellent.

    I should have listed @Mike Dymski too

    Oh yes, me too! Thank you Mike for giving me my first BP recommendation! And for your Quotes of the Day! 

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    On thanksgiving I had considered starting a thread similar to this giving shoutouts to BP members who you were thankful for that had helped you the most so I am glade @Yonah Weiss followed through with what only stayed an idea in my mind.

    Thanks @Joe Splitrock and @JD Martin for the mentions. I also really appreciate you and the contributions you make. However, Joe when I met you for the first time I was surprised you were a person. I just imagined you being a huge rock split in half because I had grown accustomed to you as your profile picture.

    I’d like to thank @Jay Hinrichs for his wisdom and mentorship and for being willing to speak out against unsound real estate advice (even when that unsound advice may have come from me, especially earlier in my investing journey). So for all of you who have really benefitted by Jay’s wisdom, I would encourage you to show that gratitude by making a Christmas charitable donation this year to A Hero’s Home as a thank you to Jay.

    @Mike Dymski, @Michael Ealy, @Llewelyn A., @Jerry W. have also been been great contributors to my learning and growth through either their posts or offline conversations.

    @Marty Boardman and @David Gudmundsen have been some local BP mentors to me and I really appreciate the conversations and time spent sharing with me their knowledge and experience.

    I’m grateful to some great friends that I have made through BiggerPockets such as @JT Olmstead and @Stone Jin and the fun conversations we have.

    I really ought to thank @Alexander Felice, not because we often agree on things, but because the concepts he shared on his podcast of including the rehab credit into the closing costs has made me a ton of money. So here is a public thank you.

    Of course I am super grateful and appreciative to @Mindy Jensen for her help with everything on BiggerPockets as well as her humor and her insights into Rich Dad, Poor Dad and for reaching out to me a year-and-a-half ago to invite me into the BiggerPockets podcast. That definitely propelled my business forward and has added to my net worth immensely. And thank you to @Brandon Turner and @David Greene for all of the podcasts and for doing such a great job on the podcast where I was a guest.  You made me look good by association.  

    And I would like to thank a slew of people who have come to my meetups and those who have lent me money through being private lenders in my deals. I wouldn’t have been able to get where I have gotten in real estate so quickly with out your confidence and support. So thank you @Peggy Liu, @Dick Rosen, @Nikhil Prashar, @Nichole Stohler, @Michael Swope, and about 40 other people but the tagging function stopped tagging people in this post. So here is my general thank you to all of you who have been such a big help to me in my investing journey. Thank you.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    On thanksgiving I had considered starting a thread similar to this giving shoutouts to BP members who you were thankful for that had helped you the most so I am glade @Yonah Weiss followed through with what only stayed an idea in my mind.

    Thanks @Joe Splitrock and @JD Martin for the mentions. I also really appreciate you and the contributions you make. However, Joe when I met you for the first time I was surprised you were a person. I just imagined you being a huge rock split in half because I had grown accustomed to you as your profile picture.

     😂🤣😂😅 I actually miss the old profile picture! 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 354 posts · 98 votes
    6y


    @Shiloh Lundahl  Thank you for the mention.  You know when it comes to real estate and partnerships, if it's a win for you, it's a win for me.  Thank YOU for being one of my successful real estate partners :)

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    6y

    My favorite BP guy is @Nathan Gesner and all this property management advice! Thank you!

  • Brian BoydPro Member
    USA · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 536 votes
    6y

    @Nick Cantey was amazing as an agent

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrew S.:

    Especially relevant for BP members here in NC: a shoutout to @Chris Martin  His analyses of the local markets are extremely thorough.  A huge resource

    Thanks for the mention. I'm glad that my posts are appreciated. 

    The only problem I have posting/tagging individuals is I know there are lots of people I'd forget to list. Over the last decade +, certainly @Steve Babiak, @J Scott, @Jay Hinrichs … but BP has grown to such an astounding collective resource, so from that aspect @Joshua D., @Mindy Jensen, @Brandon Turner and the people behind BP Nation. 

    @Jay Hinrichs

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    6y

    Thank you @Shiloh Lundahl for the opportunities you've offered me. Including the referrals to my

  • Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    BP podcasts, blog, and forums have been a great help in grasping the concept of real estate investment.  Thank you to everyone who contributes with intriguing questions and clear answers in the forums!  I've learned so much.  Also, the people I have connected with have been a huge influence:

    Thank you @Danielle Wolter for taking the time to answer my prying questions!  It was very helpful in understanding a real life buy and hold investment scenario.

    @Sean Kline - Thank you Sean for your significant amount of time and effort in advising and introducing me to the local neighborhoods through the eyes of an experienced investor.  You have been such a fantastic and greatly appreciated help.  I look forward to catching up with you soon!

    @Thomas Rutkowski - Tom, you are such a great guy to speak with.  I appreciate the clarity in your explanations, and your excellent guidance in understanding your niche and how I can take advantage of it.  If anyone has questions or wants to bash (kidding) life insurance, Tom is a prime source of knowledge in the subject along with investing in general.

    @Joe Villeneuve - I genuinely appreciate your time explaining the investing and real estate concepts we discussed.  You are a wealth of knowledge and articulate very well through your humor and bluntness.  I hope I can bother you in the future with more discussions!  Thank you Joe.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Corey Martin:

    BP podcasts, blog, and forums have been a great help in grasping the concept of real estate investment.  Thank you to everyone who contributes with intriguing questions and clear answers in the forums!  I've learned so much.  Also, the people I have connected with have been a huge influence:

    Thank you @Danielle Wolter for taking the time to answer my prying questions!  It was very helpful in understanding a real life buy and hold investment scenario.

    @Sean Kline - Thank you Sean for your significant amount of time and effort in advising and introducing me to the local neighborhoods through the eyes of an experienced investor.  You have been such a fantastic and greatly appreciated help.  I look forward to catching up with you soon!

    @Thomas Rutkowski - Tom, you are such a great guy to speak with.  I appreciate the clarity in your explanations, and your excellent guidance in understanding your niche and how I can take advantage of it.  If anyone has questions or wants to bash (kidding) life insurance, Tom is a prime source of knowledge in the subject along with investing in general.

    @Joe Villeneuve - I genuinely appreciate your time explaining the investing and real estate concepts we discussed.  You are a wealth of knowledge and articulate very well through your humor and bluntness.  I hope I can bother you in the future with more discussions!  Thank you Joe.

     Thank you Corey for your kind words.  Just let me know when you want to have our next discussion. 

  • Lender · Pennysylvania · Member since 2018 · 139 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    Although I’m still finding my way in this world of real estate, it’s always been a welcome surprise at how generous folks have been when I’ve reached out blindly. In this time of giving thanks, I'd like to thank the following:

    @Carl Fischer– for taking a flyer on me and introducing me to a few of the contacts in your network

    @Dave Van Horn – At the very least, for all you've done for the local Philly REI scene. Plus, the 2019 Mid Atlantic Summit was awesome!

    @Thomas Rutkowski– Tom raised the bar in ensuring I had all questions answered when it came to leveraging permanent insurance as a wealth accumulation vehicle

    @Ian Ippolito – for the great resource on passive investing that is his website

    @Steve Babiak – As a fellow local Philly investor, the knowledge and experience he has shared through his many, many posts are nuggets I’ve always appreciated.

  • JJ ConwayPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Stephenville, TX · Member since 2016 · 163 posts · 85 votes
    6y
    @Ned Carey Has taught me so much about tax liens. IDK why it's not letting me "Tag" him
  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Nathan G. is another name worth mentioning. Always has awesome advice. 

  • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    Learned from @Joshua D.  Build it...and they will come! Been involved with Biggerpockets for about two years and crazy to see the growth of this site. It is awesome to interact and meet with other like minded individuals looking to create wealth and dictate life on their own terms instead of suffering by being trapped in the rat race! Thank you Josh, for you have created a  great site here!!

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Thomas Rutkowski for his expertise in MIS (Monetized Installment Sale), another way to defer tax besides from 1031 Exchange. Thank you, Tom, for your knowledge, patience and willingness in answering all of my MIS questions. Much appreciated!

    Thank you, BP, for connecting people together to learn and profit!

  • Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    Thanks for the mention Shiloh and you're very welcome.

    I try to provide value to everyone I encounter - offline and online.

    It's been great talking with you in person during my seminar. You and Jason seem to be very sharp investors and on your way to doing great things. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 290 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    @Corey Martin Thanks so much for the kind words. Keep in touch!

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss someone who helped me a great deal was @jonathan bombaci, as I had questions (on discussions) about getting started in real estate investing and he went above and beyond with his answer, going into the fine details such as interest rates and how much I would need to get started.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.