WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

Yonah WeissPro Member
Cost Segregation Expert and Investor 路 Lakewood, NJ 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

16Reply
340 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
6y

I almost didn't respond to this thread out of fear I would forget mentioning someone important. I guarantee that I did, but in no particular order...

@Ola Dantis thanks for the mention. I do love to debate on the forums. I have actually found myself arguing both sides of an issue at different times. The only way to truly grow is to challenge your beliefs continuously. You are a positive thinker and continuous contributor, thanks!

@Thomas S is just a memory at this point, as we seem to have lost him this year. Although his sociopath behavior sometimes drove me nuts, he made me understand the difference between being a "hobby landlord" and a "business owner".

@Russell Brazil I have learned a ton and we have had a few laughs. Anything realtor related, I tag him and let him drop truth bombs. 

@Steve Vaughan was one of the first people I connected with on here. So down to earth and wicked smart. Steve learned everything in the trenches and very humble. I bought a new car this year and as I signed the paperwork, I thought to myself, "Steve would not approve", haha.

@Mindy Jensen is a true asset to BiggerPockets and this forum community. She always stands behind her mods. Bringing her FI expertise to the Money Podcast has been great addition. It was great meeting you at the BP Conference!

@JD Martin is living proof that you don't need to syndicate 3000 doors to be successful in real estate. Maybe some day we can put an end to single family home shaming. Or start a support group. "My name is Joe and I only invest in single family homes."

@Jay Hinrichs I am continually surprised by all the experiences you share. You are a good reminder to me that, "I don't know what I don't know". I like it when you challenge my thinking, because odds are good I am wrong, haha. 

@Ben Leybovich an old school BP classic with wisdom is all over the forums. I like that you drop in to the forums to add to the discussions. Others that have moved up the "real estate food chain" have long left the forums. Thanks for keeping it real.

@Jim K. I love talking DIY with you and I do appreciate your sense of humor. I am not sure anyone could stump you with a repair or remodel question.

@James Wise is a master in self promotion and managing large volumes of properties. Next time you ask, "how much damage can a bad tenant really do" make sure you ask James to share some photos. Also great work on the documentary and exposing bad actors in this business.

@Nathan Gesner great voice for property management related questions. I have learned lots of great tips and will use you as a sounding board any time I need credible advice. I really enjoyed meeting you at the BP conference and thanks for hanging with me!

@Shiloh Lundahl I love what you are doing with lease to own and how you have grown your business while pursuing a full time career. It hits home with me, the balance of career, investing and family. It was great meeting you at the BP conference and I always like reading your thoughts in the forums.

@Natalie Kolodij I love it when you weigh in on any CPA or tax question. It is always smart and practical advice. Taxes are a landlords largest expense and way too many landlords are hacking their way through without a clue.

@Joel Owens anything commercial related. I love learning about this aspect of real estate and you are always there to teach me.

@Will Barnard I have read great posts from you on a variety of subjects and love that you speak from experience. You set me straight a couple times and that is a good thing.

@Dennis M. I appreciate the humor although as a moderator you challenge my, "did he cross the line" decision making skills regularly. 

@Steve K. the solar expert from Bolder, who I can't tag for some reason. We seem to think alike on topics and I always enjoy chatting with you.

@J Scott I am not sure what the secret is to tagging you. Great insight and great books. You are a true thinker and not just an information recycler.

@Ned Carey I love your down to earth responses and advice. You are one of the moderator power houses.

@Alexander Felice simply put "broke is a choice" and anyone who doesn't agree with that statement will never succeed financially. I was great meeting you at the BP Conference and I completely admire your social media skills. I hope your move is going well!

@Nicole A. fellow mod and strong female investor voice, always like your advice.

@Dawn Brenengen good realtor voice on the forums, strong female voice and fellow mod.

@Chris Mason anything lending related you always help clear it up. And thanks for being a fellow moderator.

@Greg H. I always trust your input in a discussion and thanks as a fellow moderator.

@Joshua D. none of this would be possible without your vision. Good luck on your new podcast and I will be sure to listen. 

@Brandon Turner it would take me years to consume all the educational material you have produced. I love your books and the podcast, thanks!

@Ryan Murdock you are a power house! It was nice meeting you at the BP Conference on the elevator. I hope at the next conference we have more time to talk. 

@Scott Trench here is the future success of BiggerPockets under your great leadership. It is always interesting to read your perspective on things in the forums. 

I am thankful to be a part of this organization in my small role as a moderator. Again sorry for those people that I forgot to mention or had trouble finding as I tried to tag them.

See this reply in the discussion

125 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas AiolaBusiness Member
    CPA & Investor 路 New York, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss thanks! It's been a fun ride.

    Aiola CPA, PLLC551 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Union, ME 路 Member since 2018 路 161 posts 路 104 votes
    6y

    I can say honestly I have been helped by a ton of people, definitely @Joe Splitrock @Jay Hinrichs @J.D Martin @Mindy Jensen, @Jim K. @Dennis M. @ Russell Brazil

    Countless more have great advice but there are too many to name specifically, love just coming and reading through the forums on my spare time. 

    Also, I concur with a lot of people that the tagging function tends to be extremely buggy, example above where I only managed to tag one person! 

    Thanks definitely to BP itself for making this all possible! 

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2013 路 9k+ posts 路 9k+ votes
    6y

    Hey BP nation - If we get 100 comments to this threat @Yonah Weiss should do a tik tok dance post ??!!  

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent 路 Washington, D.C. 路 Member since 2012 路 17k+ posts 路 30k+ votes
    6y

    Great topic. Also thanks for everyone that threw my name out there. Means a lot to me.

    Some of the people who have provided me with really valuable insights include, but are not limited to

    @JD Martin @Jay Hinrichs @Steve Vaughan @Joe Splitrock @Mindy Jensen @Alexander Felice @James Wise @Natalie Kolodij @Brandon Hall @Darren Sager @Bill Gulley @Jon Holdman @Will Barnard @Dawn Brenengen @Joel Owens 

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor 路 Lakewood, NJ 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dave Foster:

    Hey BP nation - If we get 100 comments to this threat @Yonah Weiss should do a tik tok dance post ??!!  

    Only if we do it together Dave! @Adam Carswell has also suggested the same elsewhere. Why does everyone want to see me dance? lol 馃暫

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2013 路 9k+ posts 路 9k+ votes
    6y

    And how could I forget - @Steve Vaughan.  Any 10x napper is worth listening to.  And he coined my favorite phrase of all time - "My silent partner Uncle Sam"

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Multifamily Syndicator 路 Conifer, CO 路 Member since 2018 路 80 posts 路 84 votes
    6y

    @Yonah Weiss for his expertise in the cost seg & bonus depreciation space!

    Excited to introduce you to my audience next week!

  • Ryan LubyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 CT 路 Member since 2016 路 258 posts 路 227 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Turner Source: Podcasts. Lessons: Always ask yourself "How can I make this work." and "Great deals aren't found they're created."

    @Scott Trench Source: Podcast, and Set For Life Lesson: House-hacking, roughly 80% of spending is on 3 big aspects of your life. If you can reduce or eliminate these costs you can drastically increase your savings rate.

    Annie Duke Source: Podcast Episode 297: Thinking in bets, resulting, be process driven/ focused and always work to stay aware of resulting. Then work backwards to ask questions that encourage a process-driven focus, and anti-resulting. Understand the risk of inaction, of not doing and compare to the risk of action. - This is still probably my facvorite BP episode of all time. Insanely valuable.

    Brian Davis (Investor) Lesson: Your time is the most valuable resource, people will steal your time if you let them so guard it according, and understand how to place a dollar amount on your time. (Hourly rate) Also, the realization that 90% of people are spending their days identifying problems, pointing them out, and telling other people about them... if you can instead focus on finding solutions, and work to always bring solutions even if they aren't 100% mapped out, an idea or ideas about solutions always beats just pointing out problems. 

    Tim Shiner Source: Podcast Episode 221: Story about talking to the fighter pilot is insanely valuable and I think of this often. In short, Tim explains how most believe they are playing it safe but how they are actually living insanely risking lives by having one job, on paycheck, and by not taking "risk", not investing... ultimately this is the most dangerous route, meanwhile Investing, creating multiple streams of income, working for yourself, could be the safest and most profitable path.

    @James Wise Source: aalll the podcasts/ content Lesson: Work insanely hard, take consistent action. Bring enthusiasm to your work

    There are too many to list but this is a start that's fresh on my mind..

    @Yonah Weiss Great topic, I like this thread

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Northern, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 5k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    6y

    Interesting/fun thread.  Some of you guys are throwing out some classic names from way back.  :)

    On that note, I'll start by throwing out @Steve Babiak who's not as active on here any more but when he was always was a solid contributor.  (Personally helped me solve an electrical issue I was wrestling with one time.)

    Of course @Jay Hinrichs has to be mentioned because he's just a wealth of knowledge all things real estate, timber, and Tesla.  :)

    @Michael Plaks because who can't use good tax advice and that's exactly what he always provides.

    Frankly there's just so many people on here that provide good advice (most of whom do it for free with no concern for profiting from it or really getting anything out of it excepting helping their fellow investors) that it makes it hard to even come up with a list.  It really just comes down to what you're interested in. 

    I've never done a 1031 exchange, but I know if I did I'd hit up @Dave Foster.  Or if I was going to do a syndication I'd want to pick @Brian Burke brain.

    But I am interested in private lending and as far as I'm concerned @Jeff S. is one of the top experts on this site for that and he always jumps in and gives great advice.  I know I have learned a bunch from him.

    And of course most of us here are interested in rentals and there's a bunch of people who consistently give solid advice there.  Too many to name.  But in general I enjoy reading the comments from napper-extraordinaire @Steve Vaughan (and his thoughts on paying down properties), @Joe Splitrock, @Greg H., @JD Martin, @Greg M., and so many others.  (I'm sure I forgot a bunch and hesitated even writing this post because I didn't want to offend anyone worthy of mention but know that I appreciate many more.)

  • Lender 路 Los Angeles, CA 路 Member since 2009 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    You made my day, @Kyle J. !!!

    Thanks for the shout out.

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Audubon, PA 路 Member since 2009 路 13k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kyle J.:

    Interesting/fun thread.  Some of you guys are throwing out some classic names from way back.  :)

    On that note, I'll start by throwing out @Steve Babiak who's not as active on here any more but when he was always was a solid contributor.  (Personally helped me solve an electrical issue I was wrestling with one time.)

    ... 

    Kyle, I remember that post because someone claiming to be an electrician or some sort of electrical expert was giving you bad advice, and was even defending that bad advice when I stated it was bad. That's what you get on the internet ...

    Thank goodness the internet also is frequented by really good folks who can give proper guidance, as this thread evidences.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer 路 Santa Clarita, CA 路 Member since 2008 路 15k+ posts 路 10k+ votes
    6y

    Thanks for the shout out @Russell Brazil right back at you!

    I'm going real old school here and thanking @Joshua D. for his vision is starting this whole thing. I remember way back when it could take several days before your post got a response, now the recent posts ticks off like the stock exchange! There are literally hundreds of people I could and would want to thank here but that would be a long list and as others have mentioned, the @ - mention thing really does not work well all the time. I would also thank our original Moderator @Jon Holdman for all the time and effort he put in (especially in the beginning when he was the only Mod (wow what a job that was).

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Poway, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 7k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    @JD Martin @Steve Vaughan @Jim K. @Dan H. @Philip Ganz @Randy E. 

    To name a few, I appreciate all the help! And to everyone else that has helped me along the way.

     Glad to have been able to help.  

    Many people have provided great information and some very consistently.  At the top of my consistent good advice is @Russell Brazil.   I appreciate all of competent contributors.

    However, the one who most opened my eyes is @Ben Leybovich.  Not his luxury house hacking but Ben鈥檚 cap ex posts (including pig properties) led me to for the first time to use an actual process to determine expected cap ex.  Prior to that, my cap ex estimates were at best a WAG and as it happens much lower than my calculations later showed should be used.  I have tried to pass on what I learned about cap ex in some of my posts.  

  • Handyman 路 Pittsburgh, PA 路 Member since 2018 路 5k+ posts 路 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Steve Vaughan has to head up the list. Steve is...wise and insightful, and understands what I see in DIY, the mindset that demands you do it yourself instead of paying someone else to do it. Steve first made me realize I could have something to contribute here.

    @Dave Foster, way back, taught me about 1031 exchanges and showed me options for getting out when the time was right. Thank you again, Dave. I've been to paid talks that were less helpful than you.

    There are two moderators on this site whom you always have to pay attention to when they talk about fixing houses: @JD Martin, @Joe Splitrock. You also have to listen when they tell you to shut your stupid hole and still your fingers.

    @Alexander Felice has taught me quite a bit about broke versus poor.

    @Jill F. knows how to landlady with class, compassion, and a determination to get things done. @Linda S.is consistently the best and most spot-on DIY process commentator in this community.

    A special shout-out to all the first-time posters detailing how your wife doesn't believe in you and how you'd like to change her mind; you continue to remind me how amazing my wife is.

    Post No. 2 coming up, BP is acting up on the tagging.

    @Joshua D.

    @Joshua D.@Joshua D.@Joshua D.@Joshua D.

  • Handyman 路 Pittsburgh, PA 路 Member since 2018 路 5k+ posts 路 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil and @Mike Cumbie and @Frank Wong teach me every day about the selling side of the business. Stuff I would never learn in a million years. Thank you.

    @Brian Ellis - You're just great. I love your mentality. The world could fall on you and you'd keep going. I think of Teddy Roosevelt's quote about "those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat" every time I read your posts. You will never be numbered among them.

    @Mike Reynolds. I always pay attention. You have never pretended to know something here, and usually see more than I do. @Account Closed so much content that's so useful to the likes of me.

    There are a whole bunch of other here, but as @Steve Vaughan has to head up the list, @Jay Hinrichs has to end it. Jay, I hope you like Star Wars, because you are the thousand generations to me. Thank you for all that body of work.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor 路 Baltimore, MD 路 Member since 2008 路 17k+ posts 路 13k+ votes
    6y

    No one has yet mentioned @J Scott (who has the most untag-able name.) Every time I listened to him I was awed by his diverse knowledge of business and finance. I regret not spending more time with him when he was in my area. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Douglas County, MO 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    Years ago @Marcia Maynard very kindly mailed me copies of several forms that she uses in her rental business. Very helpful in developing my own!

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    No doubt is was Joe Gore.  He showed me there are true stalkers in this world and that I needed to use an initial instead of a last name !

  • Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    6y
    HI. I am new here. I hope I'll too receive help from the community members.
  • California, CA 路 Member since 2019 路 16 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    @Sharad M has been helping me to get started with RE investing.

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor 路 Lakewood, NJ 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jim K. glad you got it to work on the desktop! Great contributions. Thanks for sharing!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Durham, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    @JD Martin @Steve Vaughan @Jim K. @Dan H. @Philip Ganz @Randy E. 

    To name a few, I appreciate all the help! And to everyone else that has helped me along the way.

     Thanks Brian. 

    Life has been crazy busy lately (single parent, helping son with college apps, etc, etc, etc) and I haven't been around BP much lately.  I feel like I need much more help from the experts here than I provide to others.

    Good luck with your ventures!

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    OP
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor 路 Lakewood, NJ 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jose Furr:
    HI. I am new here. I hope I'll too receive help from the community members.

     Welcome to BP Jose! As you see there are some heavy hitters on this thread that are continuously valuable resources to the community! 

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager 路 Katy, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

    I'll second @Jay Hinrichs and @Russell Brazil. I think I've had at least one of them chime in on every question I've ever posted. 

    @Ola Dantis you are a rockstar! Your enthusiasm and positivity radiate from everything you do!

    @Cameron Tope usually says everything I want to say before I say it on the forums. 

    @Alexander Felice has really motivated me to build my personal brand. His advice opened a whole new chapter in my REI career.

    @Ben Lynch and his wife Dina have made my landlord life easier with their property management software, RentmindMe! 

     Thank you for the kind words Nicole! Great minds think alike!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Silver Spring, MD 路 Member since 2017 路 4 posts 路 13 votes
    6y

    @Ozzy Sirimsi Thank you for steering me in the right direction. You鈥檝e helped more then you know!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.