Attempt at BRRRR with no mortgage on property...

Attempt at BRRRR with no mortgage on property...

Rental Property Investor · Hopewell, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes

Good afternoon everyone! I am a newbie on BP and wanted to go ahead and pick your brains. Me and a partner purchased a SFH home Dec 31st in the Richmond, Virginia area(I used a LOC and he borrowed from his 401k). We initially planned to flip it but after doing some more research we are leaning towards keeping it and renting it out since that is our ultimate goal. We would like to get a HELOC(or similar), to pay back our original source of funds and also have extra cash to pursue the next deal. What is the best way to do this and does anyone have any recommendations for local lenders in the Richmond/Tri-cities area.

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
9y

I believe you just go to the bank and apply for a cash out refinance. Did you use a personal loan? Or did you pull from a Credit Card? These can affect your financing options. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    I believe you just go to the bank and apply for a cash out refinance. Did you use a personal loan? Or did you pull from a Credit Card? These can affect your financing options. 

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Just spoke to Village Bank about a week ago. They do cash-out-refinance, but you had to have owned the property for 6 months. 70% LTV @Matthew Mellon

  • Rental Property Investor · Hopewell, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the reply. I used a personal Line of credit. Doesn't there need to be an original mortgage in order to do the cash out? I'm still trying to figure my way through the terminology and options before I walk into the bank and try to get this started

  • Rental Property Investor · Hopewell, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Alex Andrews. I'll look into them 

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    No you do not have to have an original mortgage. https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b2...

    I thought you did at one point also. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hopewell, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Great info. Thanks!  @Tiffany S.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    We are in a similar boat, so I'm really interested in hearing how this works out for you! We just bought a property in Richmond in January that we're renovating to rent out (had considered a flipping as well, but leaning towards holding it). Hope to be done with renovations by May/June. We don't have a mortgage on the home and we're planning to finance the renovations with our own money and possibly a loan from parents or a no-interest credit card. We're interested in doing a cash-out refi at the end of the project. 

    We used CapCenter for our last rental property purchase, but haven't dealt with them before for refinancing. But that could be an option. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Matthew Mellon, @Kristen Hundley & @Alex Andrews

    Talk to Will Martin at Peoples bank, best rats and terms in the city. Have multiple properties with them as well as cash our refi's 

    Make sure to tell him Chris Malo sent you

    wmartin @ peoplescommunitybank.biz

  • Rental Property Investor · Hopewell, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Chris Malo thanks so much. I'll give him a call in the near future and see what he says

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Chris Malo!

  • Adrian StamerPro Member
    Real Estate Investor & Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    9y

    There are definitely options for 80% ltv loans in the area. You'll need to call a decent number though as all their seasoning requirements will vary

  • Rental Property Investor · Hopewell, VA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all of the feedback. I still have a few weeks before the remodeling is done and I'm also closing on another deal at the end of the month so I plan on start to shop around late Feb/early March. I will keep ya'll posted on the search.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.