Votes
Matt Millard
  • Lewisville, TX
Votes |
Is a self directed IRA even worth it?

Matt Millard
  • Lewisville, TX
Posted Jul 13 2018, 11:43
Even with using the lowest cost IRA provider out there the fee for 4 separate accounts is over $600 annually assuming my wife & I open a Roth & traditional each. If I put this in one of my best investments that takes IRA Money it earns around 15%. However the account still wouldn’t meet their minimum & even if it did the cumulative fees are 3% of my investment 1st year & then slightly less after that because of growth & compounding. Over 5 years with setup fees that’s 15% of my money & investment! Why not just follow Tom McElroy’s tax advice from rich dad books & ignore all middle class savings tools including IRA’s, 401ks etc. & pay the IRS the 15% capital gains tax on the investment. Some charge me yearly others are 3, 5 or 10 years but I can’t think of a scenario this would work me unless I inherited a $500k IRA or really wanted to manage all these accounts & fees & IRS contribution & withdrawal rules or I took on a large gamble investment for a 30 to 100% return & got into active market again like flipping houses, etc. I guess I would rather pay the IRS less than a company like Quest IRA?

Loading replies...