Buying a Property with Tenants Being Evicted

15 Replies

Hello everyone!

I have a couple questions regarding purchasing a property while some of the current tenants are in the process of being evicted. This is a property in Connecticut, just to specify the state, but I was wondering how this transfers over to the new owner?

Say I purchased the property when an eviction is going on, would it immediately restart now that I am the owner and I would have to restart the process? Or does the prior owner finish the case through court regarding it? Can he close with a current eviction occurring?

Please let me know what would happen and what avenues you would take in this situation. Would you take over the tenants evictions for a deal and start evicting yourself or make the old owner finish them? Kind of a weird predicament, but I feel I will run into this again!

If anyone has experience regarding this let me know!

I'm not sure how your specific state would treat it, but I suspect it would have to start fresh with the new owner. How can someone evict the tenant if they're not the legal owner?

I would extend the contract and only close after confirmation the tenants have been removed.

@Nathan G. Yeah that's what I was thinking in my head common sense wise, but I could not find anything online regarding it. Appreciate your response! 

This seller wants to sell because of the tenants issues, so I think the best approach is have the evictions that are almost done be complete, then close, and make a contingency with that.

Promotion
Obie Insurance
Coverage for your rental
Get a quote for your rental property in 2 minutes or less.
Save on landlord insurance. A transparent, simple, and affordable way to protect your investment.
Start Saving
Originally posted by @Wendell Butler :

This seller wants to sell because of the tenants issues, so I think the best approach is have the evictions that are almost done be complete, then close, and make a contingency with that.

I recommend closing 1-2 weeks after the evictions are complete. That provides you time to inspect after it's vacant.

@Michael Noto That's pretty cool, so that could at least get me to close and get the deal faster rather than having someone swoop under me and take it that doesn't care about the tenants, but still allow me to not restart the whole process again. 

Was it easy to do if the seller cooperated? This seller seems very cooperative. 

In Texas which is one of the most landlord friendly states, the eviction would have be withdrawn and filed again

An eviction suit is current owner as plaintiff vs current tenant as defendant. You cannot substitute a plaintiff 

Going through this in Worcester right now....I was able to have the sellers hold a few thousand in escrow that would be set on a drip to me for $500 each month that the tenants are not out. That way the sellers still have some incentive to continue their efforts and you are set up with some income incase you have to start all over. 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now