Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian H.
  • Carolina
Votes |
Need help. Brainstorming session. PM wants to quit due to crime

Brian H.
  • Carolina
Posted Jan 27 2022, 07:51

He folks, hope you are all well. So the title says it mostly.  This is stressful.

I have 5 buildings totaling 11 units. They are all on the same property. I'm having increased issues with crime around two of the buildings. It's been slowly getting worse over the last 3 months. One building is empty right now and someone broke in one of the units and had been squatting, based on all the stuff, and then I guess tried to light a fire to catch the building on fire? So there is that. PMs nailed windows shut. Then someone got back in somehow.

Next, they finally moved someone into the other building and she was robbed, had her car broken into, and her gas siphoned out of her car. There have been on and off other crime issues over the last few months. This REALLY upset the PMs because it looks awful on their company and they had been doing a lot to help me really find renters for all the empty units and whatnot, on top of dealing with crime/insane tenants they evicted for me.

Basically, the property management company is saying that the amount of time they are having to spend on these units has become too much for the fee and their staffing. I can't manage these myself and I don't live there. It is a small town. These are very much low-income rentals. Lots of people on disability. So some unsavory characters end up there from time to time. The one tenant that has more of these sketchy people around is an old man that is really nice but his family and people are awful. We are fairly sure his grandson sells drugs out of there and has been breaking into the other units. We think he may sell out of the unit that the lady had been just moved into and was mad that he couldn't use that spot anymore...

Anyways, this is all obviously ridiculous. They didn't use to be like this. So much crime. I need help figuring out how I can keep the property managers. They do a good job and there isn't another company in the area since it is small. These properties have a fantastic ROI.

Do you think approaching them saying I am willing to install security cameras? And pay them more to help me out? And we probably should evict the older fellow because he's been talked to about his people that are always around and don't do anything to control them and keep some from coming around. That way they are all gone... but I do worry about some retaliation in the immediate future if we do that.

I'm desperate lol any ideas??? Thank you SOOOO much!

Loading replies...