Swamp cooler in a long term rental
Question: Any experience with roof mounted down draft swamp coolers in a long term rental? Is it a hassle? Do tenants operate them properly? Currently have a swamp cooler on a 1150 sqft middle 2bd/2ba townhome. Since it's a middle unit windows are only in the front and back of the house and there's 3 skylights throughout the property.
My thoughts: I run hot so I'm a hardcore A/C fan and have a ductless unit in the bedroom. Not in love with the swamp cooler but I've come to at least accept it. Gets the job done on our primary but not sure it's the best fit on a rental once we move out. My fear is user error for those unfamiliar with how it works and it's a bit of a manual process to turn the water on/off responsibly. For future tenants, I'll pay the water bill and then it will be billed back tenants. The swamp cooler also requires at least 2 roof visits each year (start-up/winterize). I don't mind these since we live here but not sure I'd be up for this work after we move out.
- Do nothing and self-service 2x each year. Could do interior inspection at the same time as well.
- Hire out summer/winter maintenance or a portion of.
- Install new ductless on the roof or front of the house ($8K-$10K).
- Mobile window unit but it would have to be pretty powerful and cool ~833 Sq Ft. ($700)
- Looked into central heat/air but the cost isn't justifiable since ductwork is needed
- Something else?
Thanks in advance for the thoughts and feedback. Always appreciate the help from this community.