Stop Inspecting Occupied Rentals

Stop Inspecting Occupied Rentals

Travis BohlingBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2011 · 65 posts · 78 votes

Landlords and Property Managers should stop inspecting occupied rentals.
For residents, an inspection feels like a prison shakedown without the cavity search.
For owners, negative goodwill with the residents and some photos. No thanks!

There is a better way.
Preventative Maintenance

Once a year complete some or all of these tasks:
đź›  Repair drips instead of floods
đź› Change the air filter
đź› Flush the water heater
đź› Recaulk where necessary
đź› Rinse HVAC coils
đź› Test smoke detectors
đź› Add missing doorstops
đź› Adjust sticky doors/locks
âť„ Winterization
đź“· Snap a few photos

Flip the script on inspections and deliver value instead.

Why?
Residents feel valued rather than distrusted
Owners/landlords increase renewal rates and reduce maintenance/turn costs
Managers save time with 1 work order and invoice instead of many

What other value could we create in this 1 visit?

6Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Travis Bohling:

Landlords and Property Managers should stop inspecting occupied rentals.
For residents, an inspection feels like a prison shakedown without the cavity search.
For owners, negative goodwill with the residents and some photos. No thanks!

There is a better way.
Preventative Maintenance

Once a year complete some or all of these tasks:
đź›  Repair drips instead of floods
đź› Change the air filter
đź› Flush the water heater
đź› Recaulk where necessary
đź› Rinse HVAC coils
đź› Test smoke detectors
đź› Add missing doorstops
đź› Adjust sticky doors/locks
âť„ Winterization
đź“· Snap a few photos

Flip the script on inspections and deliver value instead.

Why?
Residents feel valued rather than distrusted
Owners/landlords increase renewal rates and reduce maintenance/turn costs
Managers save time with 1 work order and invoice instead of many

What other value could we create in this 1 visit?


 Not sure of your level of experience however this is 100% NOT the way to run your business. Of course, you do inspections, we do them twice a year, (for the most part) Do you know how many times we find a leak; we ask why you didn't tell anyone, " it's not my house and I do not pay the water" . or other issues. Actually, tenants are happy we go, we tell them we are looking for any issues and make sure we take care of them for you. EVERY tenant thanks us for coming. We video the walk through and provide the owners with the video and photos, owners LOVE IT!!  Its ALL about how you word it. To post, do not do inspections on a property you spent 100k +++++++ on well I am sorry, but this is terrible advice. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Travis Bohling:

    Landlords and Property Managers should stop inspecting occupied rentals.
    For residents, an inspection feels like a prison shakedown without the cavity search.
    For owners, negative goodwill with the residents and some photos. No thanks!

    There is a better way.
    Preventative Maintenance

    Once a year complete some or all of these tasks:
    đź›  Repair drips instead of floods
    đź› Change the air filter
    đź› Flush the water heater
    đź› Recaulk where necessary
    đź› Rinse HVAC coils
    đź› Test smoke detectors
    đź› Add missing doorstops
    đź› Adjust sticky doors/locks
    âť„ Winterization
    đź“· Snap a few photos

    Flip the script on inspections and deliver value instead.

    Why?
    Residents feel valued rather than distrusted
    Owners/landlords increase renewal rates and reduce maintenance/turn costs
    Managers save time with 1 work order and invoice instead of many

    What other value could we create in this 1 visit?


     Not sure of your level of experience however this is 100% NOT the way to run your business. Of course, you do inspections, we do them twice a year, (for the most part) Do you know how many times we find a leak; we ask why you didn't tell anyone, " it's not my house and I do not pay the water" . or other issues. Actually, tenants are happy we go, we tell them we are looking for any issues and make sure we take care of them for you. EVERY tenant thanks us for coming. We video the walk through and provide the owners with the video and photos, owners LOVE IT!!  Its ALL about how you word it. To post, do not do inspections on a property you spent 100k +++++++ on well I am sorry, but this is terrible advice. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    First insurance companies require regular inspections (usually every 6-12 months).  Second for owners, rental properties represent a large investment and need to be taken care of and checked on periodically.  Not all tenants will report problems.

    To do what you have on your list requires an annual inspection. 

  • Property Manager · DE · Member since 2023 · 248 posts · 133 votes
    3y

    Yikes, sorry...not good advice.  Definitely need a comprehensive inspection done AT LEAST once a year (pictures of every room, notes etc) A good inspection takes about an hour and a half depending on size of unit.  The people who take care of the home don't mind, it's the ones that avoid scheduling that are generally the problem.  Almost always there are some minor maintenance items needed to prevent them from becoming bigger problems.

    Also drive by the outside of the homes on a regular basis and if there is cause for concern there (unkept yard, junk outside, undisclosed pet) we immediately schedule an inspection

  • Developer · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    If you're investing in these properties, it's your responsibility to inspect them. This is an investment, not a game where you want to make sure you're not stepping on anyone's toes. All tenants deserve to be treated with respect, but that doesn't mean forgoing inspections in order to keep them happy. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tim Bratz:

    If you're investing in these properties, it's your responsibility to inspect them. This is an investment, not a game where you want to make sure you're not stepping on anyone's toes. All tenants deserve to be treated with respect, but that doesn't mean forgoing inspections in order to keep them happy. 


     This poster was trying to provide value, but it backfired. Nobody should or will take this advice. You moved to Charlston? We have a good mutual friend, Dan Z, 

    All the best   

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    3y

    Property inspections are like cavity searches? lol

    Nah. I'll continue to do my biannual inspections and monthly drive-bys, I've invested too much to let my properties ride for a whole year without my eyes on them.

  • Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 101 posts · 77 votes
    3y

    I love how everyone reacted to the click-bait headline and not the substance of the post. What I took away from it is simply stop calling it an "inspection" and start saying "I'm coming over to perform some preventative maintenance". Damn right I'll be inspecting while I'm there, but in the tenant's mind I'm there to fix the house and provide value, not look for things to get them in trouble over. As @Bob S. said above, it's all about how you word it.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Brown:

    I love how everyone reacted to the click-bait headline and not the substance of the post. What I took away from it is simply stop calling it an "inspection" and start saying "I'm coming over to perform some preventative maintenance". Damn right I'll be inspecting while I'm there, but in the tenant's mind I'm there to fix the house and provide value, not look for things to get them in trouble over. As @Bob S. said above, it's all about how you word it.


     Wording is EVERYTHING, HOWEVER to post not to inspect, well,,,,,,,,,, 

    All the best sir, 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    At first, I was going to disagree with you, but after reading it all, yes I agree. Inspections should be done, but they should be done with basic, preventative repairs to make sure the significant damage doesn't come from minor things left unaddressed and also to keep the resident happy. So, things like changing furnace filters, checking for leaks, replacing fire alarm batters, etc. are all great to do once or twice a year if you can.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    At first, I was going to disagree with you, but after reading it all, yes I agree. Inspections should be done, but they should be done with basic, preventative repairs to make sure the significant damage doesn't come from minor things left unaddressed and also to keep the resident happy. So, things like changing furnace filters, checking for leaks, replacing fire alarm batters, etc. are all great to do once or twice a year if you can.


     That being said, you should also inspect the unit and look for significant damage, unapproved occupants/pets, lease violations, etc. while doing these "value add" visits. 

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I believe OP is saying to inspect but just call it "Preventative Maintenance" instead of an inspection.  

    I'm with ya OP, and I like it. 

  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    3y

    @Travis Bohling,

    I get the intent. Do “preventive maintenance visits”, not “inspections”. While doing “maintenance”, you can “inspect “ as well.

    However, this is worse. 

    Even the nicest tenant will say “Why you need to come for “maintenance” again? I don’t need door stops, you replaced the filter months ago, the windows were caulked…so why are you coming over for so called maintenance that doesn’t exist?!”

    A maintenance visit implies you are there only for maintenance and you’re not going to look around. But tenants will know you’re looking around and they will feel like you’re being deceptive, disrespectful, and down right creepy.  This will lead to a host of problems.

    I’ll stick to “inspection” because that’s why I’m there. I adapt a culture of not sugarcoating and getting to the point so they know why I’m there.

    Now, I may agree on calling it “inspection and regular maintenance “ as I do replace the box filter and other stuff.

    Overall, I believe everyone can agree the title is wrong.  One PM told me they don’t ever inspect or even drive by the home, which is ridiculous. You have to thoroughly examine your expensive investment, else you may greatly pay for it later. 

    Still have doubt? Browse the forums here and search for “inspections” and read the horror stories. One guy said the tenant put mosaic tile on the bathtub. He didn’t know until they moved.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    1. This is someone attempting to advertise their business. The picture shows a business conducting the inspection, not a private Landlord, and his signature clearly shows his company provides this service. He's sneaky enough that I'll let it slide.

    2. I've looked at the law for almost every state. They all say the same thing: Landlord can enter for maintenance, emergencies, or showing to potential renters or buyers. They are required to give notice, but they are not required to get tenant permission. If your Tenant is giving you grief, it's becuase you haven't trained them properly. Your lease should be clear about your right to enter. If your tenant prevents you from entering, you terminate their lease. 

    I agree with entering 1-2 times a year for preventative maintenance, but you should never have to trick your tenant into letting you into the home for an inspection or any other legal reason.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Burlington County, NJ · Member since 2019 · 540 posts · 771 votes
    3y
    We use this language in our leases: The landlord may conduct an announced quarterly "wellness check" in the internal premises to confirm that all systems are functioning and maintained optimally and to confirm lease compliance.

    We typically conduct them annually
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Yes, this is obviously a business promoting itself. 

    One of the first rules of marketing is to grab the reader's attention with your headline. He did that.

    ... and yes, there will be naysayers on both sides: tenants and landlords / managers. Being negative is almost in our nature.

    I would agree that scheduled periodic inspections and maintenance would be good. Home owners do it, so why not managers / owners / landlords? While you do want to respect the tenant's privacy and follow the law / local ordinance, try to maintain a professional, non-invasive, non-punitive demeanor.

    My $0.02 ...

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    the language in our leases allow us to conduct maintenance checks for damages and repairs with a weeks notice. up to one inspection per month if we choose to. 

  • Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2016 · 222 posts · 237 votes
    3y

    Not much else to be said on this one!

    If a tenant doesn't want to agree to the inspections, they won't be renting from me! This is clearly spelled out in the lease and with the tenant when they move in.

    If a tenant doesn't want their property to be inspected they should not rent, as any good asset manager will want to check on the health and safety of their assets. When I was a renter, I never minded this either. 2 hours twice a year is not a big intrusion.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    1. This is someone attempting to advertise their business. The picture shows a business conducting the inspection, not a private Landlord, and his signature clearly shows his company provides this service. He's sneaky enough that I'll let it slide.

    2. I've looked at the law for almost every state. They all say the same thing: Landlord can enter for maintenance, emergencies, or showing to potential renters or buyers. They are required to give notice, but they are not required to get tenant permission. If your Tenant is giving you grief, it's becuase you haven't trained them properly. Your lease should be clear about your right to enter. If your tenant prevents you from entering, you terminate their lease. 

    I agree with entering 1-2 times a year for preventative maintenance, but you should never have to trick your tenant into letting you into the home for an inspection or any other legal reason.


    I can't even read the logo on the shirts so if it's an advertisement, it's not a very good one. You're right about being able to enter a tenant's unit with notice regardless of permission. But I do think he's right (despite the click baity post title) that calling it preventative maintenance (and doing preventative maintenance along with an inspection) will go over better with your residents and make them more likely to renew their lease than just calling it an inspection.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Travis Bohling:

    Landlords and Property Managers should stop inspecting occupied rentals.
    For residents, an inspection feels like a prison shakedown without the cavity search.
    For owners, negative goodwill with the residents and some photos. No thanks!

    There is a better way.
    Preventative Maintenance

    Once a year complete some or all of these tasks:
    đź›  Repair drips instead of floods
    đź› Change the air filter
    đź› Flush the water heater
    đź› Recaulk where necessary
    đź› Rinse HVAC coils
    đź› Test smoke detectors
    đź› Add missing doorstops
    đź› Adjust sticky doors/locks
    âť„ Winterization
    đź“· Snap a few photos

    Flip the script on inspections and deliver value instead.

    Why?
    Residents feel valued rather than distrusted
    Owners/landlords increase renewal rates and reduce maintenance/turn costs
    Managers save time with 1 work order and invoice instead of many

    What other value could we create in this 1 visit?


     Are you kidding me! 

    First of all, this is a pathetic skew of the forum rules to advertise, showing your shadiness factor. 

    Second of all, your obviously clueless on rentals, other than how to best make as much as possible off landlords. Yeah, I bet you'd love it if we ignored everything letting issues get as expensive as possible to address. 

    I want the tenant to feel my presence, I want them to feel the gauze of the all seeing eye. If tenants want total 100% eternal privacy of anything/everything they do, they can go buy a home, there own home, and do what they want with it. 

    No, it does NOT foster ill-will, it fosters the REALITY that they are using someone elses home, that there is rules, expectation to live within those, and if they break them they will be caught and have consequences. 

    This advertisement turned post is the single DUMBEST thing I've ever heard, worse than the ejector seat for helicopter, worse than the solar powered flash-light. 

  • Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 101 posts · 77 votes
    3y

    U mad bro? What service specifically is being advertised? So you saw OP's signature line showing he's a PM. Are you not a PM trying to build your business as well, James Hamling "The REI Realtor" who works at Renters Warehouse? Take two chill pills and come back when you've had a good nap and a glass of water.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Brown:

    U mad bro? What service specifically is being advertised? So you saw OP's signature line showing he's a PM. Are you not a PM trying to build your business as well, James Hamling "The REI Realtor" who works at Renters Warehouse? Take two chill pills and come back when you've had a good nap and a glass of water.


    In life there is good advice, bad advice, "meah" advice, and advice so neglectful, so harming that it's an assault. 

    This is the WORST thing to tell unknowing, newer upstart persons "oh, hey, stop doing any inspections, be clueless, foster bad events to come". 

    It's beyond idiotic. There is simply no other term for it. 

    There is a reason why literally millions of PM's, over decades upon decades of experience, universally with near 100% concurrence state, annual inspections are of great importance. There is literally millions of years of Pm experience backing that inspections are important. 

    I let a lot of stupidity slide, but this endangers people. It urges bad practices, those proven to reap financial losses, many times significant ones. 

    Sorry if you don't like the dose of reality, and justify it via "hey man, trying to get biz". No, I don't "need" to get biz, not like that, because I do this weird thing called being damn good at what I do, so people refer me, and hence, I don't need to encourage people do harm to themselves so I can profit from it. 

    Encouraging people to be negligent is just, slimy. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Travis Bohling  I get what you are trying to say but often you have to force entry into certain rooms to determine what the issues are if you just go in for preventive maintenance.  That locked bedroom with the great dane for example. Saying I have to inspect the house for maintenance issues is still an inspection to the tenants. 

  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    3y

     For the record,

    1) An ejector seat in a helicopter does work if it goes sideways or straight down. You’ll “Wile E. Coyote” splat but no blade-choppy-woppy.

    2) What’s bad about Solar powered flashlights? They’ve been around since the 80s. Charge in day and use at night. Amazon got several even thought the company names are in all caps with random consonants. I get you were implying a solar powered flashlight with no batteries but….

    Guys, regardless if this was intentional or unintentional click-bait, this has gotten weird, unproductive, and unnecessarily aggressive.

    Thread lock?

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Todd Jones:

     For the record,

    1) An ejector seat in a helicopter does work if it goes sideways or straight down. You’ll “Wile E. Coyote” splat but no blade-choppy-woppy.

    2) What’s bad about Solar powered flashlights? They’ve been around since the 80s. Charge in day and use at night. Amazon got several even thought the company names are in all caps with random consonants. I get you were implying a solar powered flashlight with no batteries but….

    Guys, regardless if this was intentional or unintentional click-bait, this has gotten weird, unproductive, and unnecessarily aggressive.

    Thread lock?


    Lol. 

    Interestingly, the military choppers, several, do have ejection seats, and yes they go up. Rotor blades have charges that blow-em off, or at least supposed to. 

    Regardless, it was just making a point, not to get lost in weeds of technicals. 

    Annual inspections are very important. It lends pro-active measures for various items that wear out, to effect maintenance early vs late. It lends insight into tenant habits, so one can make an informed decision on renewal or termination. And tenant mindset, knowing someone is checking changes habits. 

    The only tenants I have ever had who took issue with such inspections, were those with something to hide, not in theory, real world experience. Pet's had damaged something, kids had damaged something, there was reasons, reasons we only found about because of that annual inspection. 

    PM, in simplest form is: screening, monitoring, responding and accountability. Remove any 1 leg of the table, it get's real hard to keep things level and smooth. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 167 votes
    3y

    I include it (visits) in the lease so they agree to it up front before even moving in. Then we immediately do a condition list where they write in anything they didnt do that needs fix or etc. I have a feeling they dont like it but it's for their protection esp. if they are clean living and no animals in rental.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.