Evicted tenant reattempting to rent our property.

Evicted tenant reattempting to rent our property.

Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 9 votes

Good day BP members, I don't know if I should laugh but many of you who have seen my post, I have evicted a tenant who was non-paying and possibly using a false identity. Well I just got a call today from said ex-tenant (didn't know until later) to schedule a tour for one of our rental. When I was listening though I heard a familiar voice, so after scheduling a tour for them. I decided to plug in their number into Zelle and boom behold it's under the ex-tenant's "real" name but under a different number. Anyone ever run into situations like this before?

1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

Yes.  It happens.

Have them fill out an application.  With luck, you can capture their real name and contact information so your debt collectors will have an easier time finding them and collecting the money they owe you.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    Yes.  It happens.

    Have them fill out an application.  With luck, you can capture their real name and contact information so your debt collectors will have an easier time finding them and collecting the money they owe you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 43 votes
    1y

    Sounds scary to me. Hopefully you've cancelled the showing. As a realtor, I run phone numbers through Forewarn first. They should show who owns the number. 

    • Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Christian Maluo:

      Sounds scary to me. Hopefully you've cancelled the showing. As a realtor, I run phone numbers through Forewarn first. They should show who owns the number. 

      Luckily, I've got news that Mibor is actually adding Forewarn into their arsenal starting next month.
    • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 43 votes
      1y

      @Jackie Liu it's a super valuable tool. Let me know via dm if you need me to look up the number they gave you. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Funny situation, but it does happen on occasion.  @Greg Scott has the right idea.

    In our case, the tenant did submit an application, and after receiving it, we let them know that they were old tenants, and they still owed money.

    We showed them a copy of the outstanding judgment and told them that as soon as that was satisfied we would process their application. 

    We didn't hear back from them, but it was easier for the collection folks to get to them.

    As they say, 'You can't fix stupid'.

  • Property Manager · Valdosta, GA · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    It surprises me what people will try to pull these days. I bet if we all combined our stories, it would make a great book. I think @Greg Scott had a great idea. Hopefully you can collect on what they owe you. 

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    1y

    This situation is unfortunately more prevalent than it should be. I wholeheartedly agree that you should maintain your usual process and provide them with evidence of the previous balance owed. It’s essential to approach this matter with transparency and professionalism.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.