Potential tenants doesn’t have a social security

Potential tenants doesn’t have a social security

Member since 2025 · 126 posts · 45 votes

 Newbie landlord faced with applicant that wants to live with his cousin. 
Applicant in prescreening text message exchange revelas that he doesn't have a social security. 
My qualification standards say that applicants should have a social security. 
thats what I shared with other applicant ( the other cousin). 
am i violating fair housing rules if I tell him. Are applicant are required to have a social security .

I am in chicago

2Reply
408 views

Most Popular Reply

John MorganPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10mo

I’ve taken people without SS numbers. They’ve been my best tenants and have stayed with me for years. Maybe only put the cousin on the lease. But you don’t need a SS number to evict if that’s what you’re worried about.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.