Smell

12 Replies

We just renovated whole unite including floor and full paint. We left only small carpet on stairs and unit still smells. It is not a smoke but something different, may be smell from pet or something. Is there any way to reduce a strong smell ?

You could try an Ozone generator.

@Jane A.

What kind of flooring did you install? If it was some cheap laminate from another country that might be the cause of the smell....

Frank

Might be a little late now BUT did you treat the floor under the carpet?  I once removed the carpet only to find the plywood was wet too.  Tried all types of cleaners.  Ended up R&R the plywood before putting down new flooring.  

Whatever is causing the smell maybe from the sub flooring. Sometimes the plywood sub flooring absorbs pet urine/dog poo, mold, and whatever else that smells nasty.  Consider trying Kilz on the sub flooring and hopefully you won't have to replace it.

Originally posted by @Ericka Parrott :

Whatever is causing the smell maybe from the sub flooring. Sometimes the plywood sub flooring absorbs pet urine/dog poo, mold, and whatever else that smells nasty.  Consider trying Kilz on the sub flooring and hopefully you won't have to replace it.

Killz works wonders. I have used it many times on various rentals - particularly in cases where the sub-floor has been affected by urine.

Originally posted by @Tyson Luthy :
Originally posted by @Ericka Parrott:

Killz works wonders. I have used it many times on various rentals - particularly in cases where the sub-floor has been affected by urine.

I've used Zinser 123 for the same purpose.  Both work great, but I believe Zinser actually has a recommendation on the can to be used for this purpose.  Also, the carpet could definitely be the problem.  I've got 5 animals and have given up on carpet (mostly cuz puppies have accidents).  Plus carpet has to be replaced more often than tile.    

Originally posted by @Frank Romine :

@Jane A.

What kind of flooring did you install? If it was some cheap laminate from another country that might be the cause of the smell....

Frank

Frank has a point, Lumber Liquidators was recently sued for its laminate having too much formaldehyde in it.  It's a huge issue. 

I've used Kilz on urine stained subfloors before.  I recommend the original Kilz in the white and red can.  The Kilz 2 is latex (I believe) and doesn't etch and absorb into wood nearly as well as the original stuff.  BEWARE:  The initial odor of Original Kilz is rough!  It will eliminate subfloor odors in pretty much any case, in my experience...and I've painted a lot of pee. 

Consider OdoBan.

If the smell is really bad, then you may have to use oil based paints to cover up the smell.  I had a rental that my tenant apparently raised 7 dogs in the house.  It was awful, but we tore out the drywall in one bathroom and repainted the entire interior including the ceilings in oil based paints, which take about 2-3 days to dry.  Afterwards, it was fine.  Fortunately, I bought the house for $13,500 in 2008 with @$20k in improvements, and the tenant paid rent for 5.5 years at $850/month.  You may want to consider repainting the ceilings, which can also trap smells.  

Max

It does not take much to give off odor.
I had a unit that had a wet dog smell, I did a complete remodel and still had the odor I found a big hair ball under the fridge.

Paint the subfloor with Kilz
Caulk trim (hair can get between wall and baseboard)
Vacuum registers and cold air return ducts and change filter
Open windows for a few days can help
Paint or wash all surfaces

If unit has been vacant drain traps may be empty allowing sewer gas backup

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.