Tenant is day sleeper

6 Replies

We've got 15 apartments and several tenants work night shifts and sleep during the day.  No problem right?  There are definitely additional challenges and responsibilities.  One of our biggest challenges in working on the apartment next door and trying to do it quietly and without disturbing the sleeping tenant.  Has anyone else experienced difficulty with this?

Of course we have experienced this. It's nice to try and accommodate them but nobody promised a life without problems. Do your job, get it done as quickly as possible, and move on. If it's too much, your tenant can couch-surf at a friend's house or get a cheap motel room.

It's not your responsibility to accommodate every person in every situation.

Nathan is correct. Tenants can not expect a perfect world and you have a job to do.

Always make decisions based on what is best for the business. The work must be done.

Agree with Nathan, I have the same issue with my 24 Unit apartment complex. She works at a nightclub and complains that the other tenants play music or are walking around in the second floor above them all day. Quiet hours are from 9pm-6am. There is no such thing as a happy tenant; just complete the job as quickly as possible and move on. Chances are this tenant will complain when you move someone into that unit. 

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the excellent advice!

The other scenario we're dealing with is tenants with newborn children.

We have two of those right now and we do our best to work around their schedule and work as quietly as we can.

I do some of the work and I wanted to mention something about an air compressor I recently purchased. 

This has worked really well for me and is something you might want to consider buying if you're working in apartments and need to work as quietly as possible

It's a senco air compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1...

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :

Of course we have experienced this. It's nice to try and accommodate them but nobody promised a life without problems. Do your job, get it done as quickly as possible, and move on. If it's too much, your tenant can couch-surf at a friend's house or get a cheap motel room.

It's not your responsibility to accommodate every person in every situation.

Ditto.

People have to make their own accommodations to suit their unique lifestyle. If they work night shift or have a baby, then they need to find ways to make it work. I have 6 busy kids, 4 teens and 2 little ones. If I want my 1 year old to EVER get a nap in this house, I have to have a box fan in the room to turn on to make white noise. He sleeps like a dream. We also live in town, on a major road. All of my kids have air purifiers in their rooms that they can turn on for white noise anytime they can't sleep. They're so used to it now that they don't need them.
I certainly do my best to contain my noise when I'm working on one of my units, but sometimes you just have to get the work done.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here