Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Hammel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lake Hallie, WI
Votes |
Help! pending Insurance cancellation due to 60 amp service.

Joseph Hammel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lake Hallie, WI
Posted Apr 21 2018, 21:57

Hey BP pals. I just got a letter from State Farm stating they wont be renewing my policy. I will try to get as much detail in here I hope I can get some ideas. Ok Its a 16 unit apartment In Hammond MN which is a very small town in Wabasha county MN about 20 min north of Rochester Minnesota. I bought it a year ago june 22 2017. I had my electrician do an inspection before buying it and he saw no problems. It was originally a school but was converted to apartments in the 80s (or so) I know a few details about the setup. The main service from the power company (xcel) I was told Is 800 amps. The wiring I was told in the units themselves is 12 gauge. Each unit has a 60 amp square d box with breakers. The appliances in the units are range, refrigerator, AC window unit, (5000 btu) and baseboard elec heat. I have had no problems or complaints about electrical problems from the tenants. I could look at upgrading but could I possibly run into issues with the main service if the units were all 100 amp. I see that I can appeal this to the commisioner of commerce. Any one have luck with this? Any leads on a insurance company that could help? Its also in class 10 for fire protection so it was hard to find the policy I have already. Other details I have my own house meter and that runs one of the hot water heaters. (the other one is propane) and it runs the laundry equipment.    

Loading replies...